• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ever imagined a story/adventure mode for Project M?

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
I was messing around on Alternate Battlefield a little bit ago, testing out how some of my custom tracks fit with the inter-dimensional abstract background and the overall mood of the stage, when a little rush of inspiration hit me for a potential story to fit a theoretical "Adventure Mode" for Project M. It would take very direct throwbacks to both the real-life affects of Melee competitive development and in-game character development, but also throw in some refreshing fondness towards Brawl. In some cases, it could even reflect major development in the Project M demo metagame.

The general idea I thought could be entirely its own separate story, or be a breakoff from Brawl's Subspace -- specifically, the point at which Master Hand and Ganondorf are working together. Essentially, since Melee/in the "realm" of Melee (which is a separate dimension from where Brawl takes place), mostly the same characters have dominated or performed very well in their little dimension of gladiators. Ex: Spacies, Peach, Pikachu, Marth.

But then, Ganondorf, manipulating the young but powerful mind of Ness, conspires to reset the circumstances. Ganondorf feels as though he ought to be king/"the best", and convinces Ness the same. He appeals to the boy's weaknesses throughout the Smash series and paints Ness as the victim of circumstances which must be "changed".

They begin opening inter-dimensional portals--perhaps to find a dimension where, for example, Link may not even exist or where some of the Smash Kings have stronger weaknesses. What results is that the portal to Brawl is opened, where Ganondorf on the other side is also attempting to do the same thing, only with both Ness and Lucas. Ironically, Ganondorf is weaker on the other side, which kind of screws Melee Ganondorf's plans almost immediately. As knowledge of the discovery of the portal spreads throughout both Melee and Brawl, characters of all sorts have differing opinions. Melee Falco continues fighting opponents old and new without incident. Melee Falcon just does his best and relishes in the challenges, while Brawl Falcon longs for the image he sees of his Melee self, almost with a sense of nostalgia and belonging. Dr. Mario finds the whole thing fascinating and begins to study differences between the two dimensions and the portal itself. Other characters, however, are perfectly content with closing the portal before any "shenanigans" happen. This begins causing a rift amongst the casts of the differing realms.

However, bigger threats are on the horizon. The crazy hands and master hands of both realms all converge together to formulate evil plans... They wish to completely control how the games work with their godlike powers (an allusion to modding). Other disfigured and "unfinished" fighters from other dimensions are suddenly thrown into the games, with Brawl being the primary target by the hands as it has more combatants/potential for destruction. Despite their best efforts, even the best of each realm cannot best the hands and their minions. Melee Mario, Dr. Mario, Brawl Link, both Samuses, and Sonic form a coalition, using their heroic/positive mindsets to try to overcome their new foe. They decide the best option is to separate the two realms somehow. They turn towards the Nesses and Lucas, who helped create this problem (but are willing to fix their childish mistakes), who say the only option is to create one "superrealm". After some debate, it's decided that Melee's realm is the better option, as Brawl has been more ravaged by the god-hands.

Near the end/final boss stages of this mode, the psychic boys (joined by the disgruntled Ganondorf plus Zelda, Mewtwo, Lucario, and GnW) combine their powers to try to complete this feat, only the God-hands step in to intercept and foil our heroes' plans. This causes some issues -- suddenly, as the realms and characters begin to merge, some characters flat-out disappear and are separated. The cast of demo 1.0 eventually regroups in the interdimensional void they're trapped in, realizing they must press on and continue to fight for equality -- the power is still not enough to fight the gods. This final stage involves (at least, one idea) fighting the hands as they phase in and out of your dimension, similar to the vein of the underground maze in Melee adventure mode mixed with Brawl SSE. As you progress, your character changes depending on the demo version of Project M, and more characters become available over time. Some characters fight the battle of constantly being too weak, while others have to live with the feeling of devastating power (some are more ok with this than others). In the end, though, your character decides after a certain point that constantly running/changing is enough and that the power to win lies inside of them along with all the new literal powers they've been given... they just need to figure out how to use it (a metaphor for 3.6 and characters becoming final). This leads to the final-final battle, which can be done solo or co-op (I imagine the whole mode would be like this too) and involves fighting two master hands and two crazy hands... at the same time. Granted, the fight would be balanced to be not broken in theory, but it would still prove a challenge to veteran Smashers. After winning, the cast rejoices as their world is unified into a more generally balanced place than either previous dimension. Even if it's not perfect, most are okay with that, because they still have a fighting chance, so to speak.

I guess that's the gist of it. Something I came up with on the fly and felt like venting. Unfortunately, this would require too much modding for a 2GB SD to even handle (assuming all demo versions of characters get used for the final level) and a lot of time/dedication, but I still find it interesting to speculate over, myself. Any ideas you guys have had?

IronChar

Smash Journeyman
this is nice..... I think the game standalone is great enough

oh hey! it works with SSE... how sick is that?

Top Bottom