• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

European players - frowned upon?

• Thread starter Deleted member 189823
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 189823

'Morning.

I come here with intention of getting to know more about the stance on European players. Most of us know European players tend to show more of a technical and much more flashy game than that of American and Japanese players. Anyway, what I wonder is- Why would one say noticeable names like say, Izaw, a "bad" player? I've been hearing some things running about reguarding him, and I honestly can't see him as a "bad" player, other than the fact he /probably/ (read: my own assumption) doesn't attend to tournaments to apparently prove his skill-level...that'd actually be a little bit silly. Then there's also players like Zudenka, Skelerex, etc. who also have those cute HD videos, but that's about it.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
You got the idea to make this from me?
The answer is no, btw, European players are awesome.
And you should make a thread called "Random topics by Swei" so these things could all go into one place.

D

Deleted member 189823

lol
Yeah, you could say I partially got the idea from you, reminding me of those kind of things I've heard before.
Also, of course you'd say that, you're European yourself. lol

-LzR-

Smash Hero
There just exists a stereotype that European players play more flashy than efficient, I don't think this is true, maybe for some, but nothing Europe specific, though Europe is the promised land of platform canceling.
And Europe is known to be worse than America or Japan, but there's not that much difference. But I don't think I've ever heard of Europeans being frowned upon, though we have some extreme cases like Leffen here.

D

Deleted member 189823

Yeah, I apologize for my generalization. I mostly directed this towards known players that are pretty flashy.
Who is Leffen?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
People need to stop thinking that such a thing as "Europe" exists in terms of Brawl. Europe, for all intents and purposes, is Central Europe [Gemany, France and Netherlands], Spain and Scandinavia. The rest of Europe is completely dead. Our biggest tournaments have about 80 entrants, america's biggest have four times as much. If you're trying to compare Europe with the USA then you're asking the wrong question - it's like comparing a line with a cube. If anything, you can compare the active regions of the EU with regions within the USA rather than with the whole country itself. Take central EU as an example - some of our best players have competed with american players in the past. The result: Set wins against Ally, dabuz, Vinnie, DEHF, ADHD, ESAM, Salem, non-tournamanet set wins against Mikeneko and Earth, a player in top 8 @Apex, another one in top 30 and two more in top 50. That's comparable to the results of SoCal or Florida imho.
[I can't really tell you much about Spain - they're supposedly not bad but they're a bit isolated so it's hard to say how good they really are because they hardly get to compete with the rest of us. Scandinavia is kinda bad though tbh.]
[If I had to make a comparison I'd say Kanto / NJ&NY > Texas in its prime > Socal / FL / Central EU > other regions.]

Tbh, I don't think any player in the EU is frowned upon unless he deserves it for one reason or another. Izaw used to have a pretty good Link and an alright Sheik but he's never been considered a threat in tourneys [top 20 was his absolute best outside of Scandinavia]. He just had a lot of fans because his play was entertaining and that's alright as long as nobody thinks that Izaw was ever one of our top players. Some people might've thought so at one point and thus saw EU in an inaccurate way. But most of the european players who deserve the respect of the international community have all gained it so I wouldn't say Europe is frowned upon any more than it should be.

:059:

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
'People' don't say Europe 'is bad'. All the people I know that aren't top players think that Europe has the best players in the world. 'Top players' think Europe 'is bad' for approaching too much or being too risky (Leon/Gluttony). But that's a bad centralization based on just 2 players. Europe is great at the game. But I do think Japanese players are the fastest players in the world. NA players the lamest (Not even campy. Just lame. @ Top players). And European players the most 'Fair' to play against. (As in, they straight up try to out play you).

Top Bottom