• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Etrian Ricochet Odyssey - Game over! What awaits at the end of the Labyrinth...?

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Alice seems like a good vote

Your boy Bard is at 2 hp but I’ve been ready to die like that last 3 phases LOL

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
To answer your question (sorry for just getting to it) I've used two of my classes, but I think that was already known now

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
== Item Results ==
Alice: 3 (Bard, Thirdkoopa, Kickle)
GLG: 3 (Shish, FE, Red Ryu)
Bard: 2 (Alice, Z25)

As there is a draw, the RNG decides that the winner should be...

Alice Phantasma Alice Phantasma , who receives the Decoy Bunker! ... But...

== Standard actions ==​
  • Maven shoots air.
  • Bard shoots himself! Incoming shots will be reflected!
    • But nobody attacks Bard... Bard suffers 1 damage! (Shoot self [failed] = 1)
  • UtopianPoyzin shoots air.
  • Ura shoots air.
  • Z25 shoots air.
  • Fire Emblemier shoots air.
  • KickleCubiclist shoots air.

== Active skills ==​
  • Sovereign relays the Guard Order! Until the end of Phase 9, affected players suffer 1 less damage per hit!
  • Arcanist readies the Hood Circle! Until the end of next phase, targeted players will be blocked if they attempt to use actions with a TP cost!
  • Ninja uses Kumogakure, causing non-piercing attacks targeting them to fail until Phase 10!
  • Landsknecht attempts to attack with Stunning Smash, but trips the Hood Circle! Red Ryu is forced to shoot air instead!
    • The effects of the Hood Circle have ended.
  • Ninja unleashes Tagen Battou, causing 3 clones to vanish, and attacks Alice Phantasma! Alice suffers 6 damage! (Tagen Battou (2) * Clones (3) = 6)
    • Alice Phantasma has been defeated!
  • Landsknecht attempts to follow up their ally's attack with Strike Chaser, but there's nothing to follow up on, so the attack fails!
  • The effects of Izuna on Pokechu end, allowing them to move again.

== Item actions ==​
  • A Bravant was used! Until the end of next phase, the affected player's attacks deal +1 damage!

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
"Circles of ensealment, hear my chant!"
But it would take more than that to deter a Ninja. Surrounding their prey with their shadows, it was over in an instant.
And so the first victim falls. Who will be next? Perhaps we'll find out soon.
Hopefully it won't be too long, though. We've already been here long enough.
Maybe I'll just let the Ragelopes out to speed things up.
Feeling confused about where to go next? You won't be alone in this next Stratum.

9th Stratum - Misty Ravine
----------------------------------------------------

Welcome to the 9th Stratum (Phase 9)!

The phase ends ~22.5 hours from now (10pm UTC, 9th February). You must have your actions submitted before then for them to count!

Protector | Arcanist | Gunner
|
|
|
  • Bravery's Gift (4 TP): Redirects all attacks targeting another player into yourself. Damage you take while using this is reduced by 50%.
  • Shield Rush (9 TP): Deals 2 HP damage. Pierces reflection. Damage you take while using this is reduced by 50%.
|
== Circle skills ==
Circles may target three players and are active for the phases during and immediately after they are used, or until they take effect. If those players perform the action associated with the Circle, they will suffer its effects. You can have one Circle active at a time.
  • Snare Circle (2 TP): Blocks players attempting to defend others.
  • Chaos Circle (7 TP): Players attempting to shoot themselves will instead hit another random target with a shot that pierces reflection.
  • Hood Circle (6 TP): Blocks players attempting to use skills with a TP cost.

== Active skill ==
  • Dismiss Blast (4 TP): If you used a Circle skill in the previous phase, dismisses that Circle to deal 1 HP damage to each player targeted by it.
|
  • Double Strike (4 TP): Deals 1 HP damage to two players.
  • Ricochet (15 TP): Hits three targets for 1 HP damage. Pierces reflection. Nullifies all non-piercing attacks targeting you in this phase.

Maven89 Maven89 @Shishœ BarDulL BarDulL UtopianPoyzin UtopianPoyzin Alice Phantasma Alice Phantasma #HBC | Red Ryu #HBC | Red Ryu Ura Ura Z25 Z25 Fire Emblemier Fire Emblemier Pokechu Pokechu Thirdkoopa Thirdkoopa KickleCubiclist KickleCubiclist giraffelasergun giraffelasergun

Current Status

Last edited:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Alright, listen up boys.

Your boy Bard is at the end of the line. 1 hp, no gold, and deprived of his partner in crime. Times are tough for the kid, make no mistake about that. It is currently a jobless Great Depression for this young, newly Texan soul.

But a man has his pride. To walk away from this game without guns blazing would go against every fiber of my being.

Ryu, Shish, and GLG, will be fired against without hesitation.

For Narnia.

Last edited:

giraffelasergun

Smash Lord
Alright, listen up boys.

Your boy Bard is at the end of the line. 1 hp, no gold, and deprived of his partner in crime. Times are tough for the kid, make no mistake about that. It is currently a jobless Great Depression for this young, newly Texan soul.

But a man has his pride. To walk away from this game without guns blazing would go against every fiber of my being.

For Narnia.
You won’t

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Alright, listen up boys.

For Narnia.
You won’t
Supreme Court Case:

BarDulL vs. Etrian Ricochet Odyssey

Why can't we all just withhold grudges for once?

Ricochet has less focus on diplomacy compared to Mafia; there are no lynches or opposing factions, and you don't need to pay as much attention to the game since there's less effort involved in working out who's with or against you. You can take part as much or as little as you like; nobody will yell at you for being inactive (probably). It essentially starts out as a free-for-all, but you can send PMs and form alliances with other players if you want, and work together to share the victory at the end (or stab them in the back and hog the glory yourself :p ).
A few other people have said it before, but there shouldn't be two distinct sides (Bard/Alice v Pokechu/Shish/theRestOfTheGang) when determining who to kill off next. Keep the opponent on their toes; they shouldn't know exactly who the target is beforehand. Shish over here taunting Bard to make him continuously shoot himself while he targets Alice instead to wipe out his closest ally. Choosing to kill Bard the slow and painful way. Meanwhile Maven is deliberately trying to vote for Pokechu e v e r y s i n g l e t i m e because maybe he thinks its funny or his way of ****ing with the game, but either way it's a terrible play on his part because Maven hasn't done a whole lot for Pokechu and his numerous husbands, and probably won't last too much longer. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the one who gave away all 10 of his gold at the beginning to Pokechu.

Now, don't get me wrong, making allies in this game is a great thing to do, and is a strategic bonus to have. However, when you have enough allies to creating two opposing forces (minus the bystanders who haven't been paying too close attention to the game and or repeatedly forget to submit actions resulting in air shooting even on the direst of days) combating against each other, (no matter what size they are from 2 to 6 people), you know that there is obviously something wrong. So can we all go back to playing the game how it was originally meant to be played instead of Pokechu's gang of half the players teaming to eliminate Bard and Bard's gang of literally-just-Bard teaming up to shoot somebody before they die at the hands of Pokechu? That would be appreciated.

Also yes, you can target people with low HP. But if Bard didn't save himself, he would have ended up with -7 HP which is a precise definition of overkill. Kill, but don't overkill.

TL;DR shoot me because I said something controversial that nobody 100% likes.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Now I know that I focused a bunch on Bard because he was the one recieving the most heat that he's "gonna die" after Alice did, I also want to point out that the Bard gang's attempt to kill Red Ryu was also overkill and was way too factiony. That was an example of a play that shouldn't actually happen. Pokechu made an excellent move their with a perfectly timed Bravery's Gift, negating an overkill, just as Bard did with the CPR at the right moment.

Last edited:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Thinking I shot myself because Shish said he would kill me is wrong. Shish had to make a decision with all those ninjas he had stored up last phase. If he got 4 ninjas, no one was going to let him walk away with it alive and he knew this. This is further substantiated by why I didn't shoot myself the phase before...check for yourself UtopianPoyzin UtopianPoyzin . :p

The real reason I shot myself is because I expected someone like Ruy to pot shot me on the side. We'll find out whether or not this was the correct call after the game is over.

Current opinion thus far on this experimental game:

Regarding "group" killing, yes I agree it's dumb. The point of allowing players to truce is to integrate more diplomacy into the game, which is in my opinion a better style of Ricochet, but naturally it will cause people to group up at the start in cliquey ways. I deliberately punished ganging-up styles of play in my Ricochet game using a very powerful self-shot for that reason (especially to cater to players that might be shy or whatever and not want to team up with other people right away). The only flaw, in my opinion, was being able to have someone defend a self-shot every phase which led to turtle-style gameplay towards the end.

Moy increased the levels of attrition involved in gameplay while mitigating the strength of the self-shot. This rewards aggression and punishes defensive gameplay because the repercussions of aggression are minimal; you take half damage from someone self-shooting, and no damage when using a piercing attack against someone shooting air. IMO, defense is too weak, and players that are outnumbered will easily fall to a larger group. It doesn't help that "the bard gang" of myself and Alice alone was limited due to people being straight up AFK or mostly uninvolved while the "pokechu fanclub" were all active and working together to clean up active slots.

Main-thread voting for items was implemented into my game for the sole purpose of encouraging main-thread interaction and helping players identify openly who was grouping up prior to phase-ends (thus helping players make a much more informed opinion on how to play the game). This brings forth actual analysis of relationships which is what diplomacy games are about. This goal is achieved very obviously, but the problem is that if the items are too powerful, then the larger "faction" will get stronger while the smaller faction is at a disadvantage. The item I won, "the penetrator," is not a powerful item per se since it can only change a normal shot to a shot that breaches self-shots, but it is a nice option to have and not overwhelming in nature.

I think there are several more pros than cons in this game though, just to be clear. It's a fantastic game all in all and I love the role diversity (even though I confess I was super lazy and uninvolved with my roster selection due to being busy with accounting and only recently read through a majority of the roles). A lot of thought was put into the game and I think Moy has done a fantastic job with it.

My biggest qualm with the game is Maven89 Maven89 , who deliberately has been playing against his wincon. I don't know ALL the facts, but if he really did just hand over Pokechu 10g, then I really have to ask why he is feeding a player for no apparent reason other than to be "funny." It's like the one guy in a game of League that decides to feed the enemy team "for the lols." It's funny to him, but everyone else not on the enemy team suffers.

Regarding my gameplay:

Aside from integrating personality quirks like heavy arrogance for memes, I tried to encourage inactive players to be more involved by pointing out the obvious grouping of Ryu/GLG/Pokechu/Shish with Maven on the side, but obviously this doesn't end well if the inactives ignore it; it turns me into an immediate enemy of the larger clique and puts me in a position of detriment, which is exactly what happened. For example, I knew Pokechu was likely telling the truth about exchanging 5 En with GLG. However, I tried to deliberately misrepresent their En count in order to gain favor with inactive players that never showed up regardless of what the truth actually was. Of course, on the other side of the court, everyone is looking at me with pitchforks and are all too quick to try and get a cut of the Bard.

TL;DR - yeah that was a long write up, my b.

Last edited:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Look IDK anything for sure but like I said, if he did, I’m pissed, if it was all an act, well played. I’m basically out of the game and I’m surrendering more or less, so push whatever narrative you want.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Whatever, I’m over it.

0 gold, 1 hp, but acknowledging defeat while going out swinging here is apparently playing against my wincon. Nice.

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I should have announced this earlier, but there aren't any more special items to be won. From here on out you've got to make do with what you have. Good luck! :p

D

Deleted member

I should have announced this earlier, but there aren't any more special items to be won. From here on out you've got to make do with what you have. Good luck! :p
Booo, give me a nuke!

KickleCubiclist

Smash Apprentice
Pokechu has been playing you guys the entire game
Me, Alice, and Bard weren't the enemies. Pokechu was.
Just go watch Big Brother 19 to see what not to do during Ricochet.
You've given Pokechu the win, and you have to live knowing that YOU could've won.
My advice? Kill me and Bard, THEN go after Pokechu.

Top Bottom