• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ethernet Adapter Trouble

Mishiero

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone, I bought an ethernet adapter a while back (the UGREEN one that everyone says to get). when I plugged it in it said I have an IP issue and it told me to manually input my internet settings. I inputted everything, then it said there was a DNS issue. No matter how many times I imputed the DNS it always said it was wrong. Do any of you know how to fix this problem? Because frankly, I don't know what to do anymore.

Twezzer

Smash Rookie
Hey Mishi,

what are you putting in for the DNS? can you try 8.8.8.8. ?

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
If you're manually inputting IP settings, you'd need to have a reservation on your router for the adapter so that DHCP doesn't try to dole it out another address whenever the lease runs out. Also make sure your gateway and netmask are correct. Make sure those two are the same as any other device connected to your network. I'd probably recommend leaving DNS on automatic, even with correct Gateway/Netmask, since the Switch will pull that info from your router via the gateway anyway.

However this seems weird...I got a Plugable branded USB 3.0 adapter and have had zero issues. DHCP should work regardless. It may help if you post the exact error messages you get, or photos/videos of you getting the error.

And always a chance you got a botched adapter, but hopefully not the case.

Edit: also maybe this? https://nintendoaxiom.wordpress.com...-a-static-wifi-connection-on-nintendo-switch/

Last edited:
Top Bottom