• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Esports?

ProjectArena

Smash Rookie
what do you guys think they are missing within the E sports community?

i feel like they could do so much more gamers and stop focusing extremely heavy on PC gaming

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
You want to know why PC gaming is so popular in esports? Because the kind of games such as Starcraft, DOTA, LoL, and CS have all the tools needed to make spectating these games easier.

redruM

Smash Rookie
Competitive gaming is all about marketing. The goal should be to lift eSports out of a niche status for a small demographic and make it a mainstay in pop culture. To an extent this has been happening in the last decade.

MLG made strides to do this in the early 2000s with Halo and Smash tournaments, at least in America. Obviously in Korea, competitive gaming has been a major part of their culture for years. But in America, eSports has been looked down upon because video games are viewed as a hobby, a waste of time, etc.

The image MLG started to market in the early 2000s was one that elevated competitive gaming out of the "basement dwelling nerd" stereotype and opened the door for eSports to not only be taken more seriously, but also made people aware that competitive gaming is serious. I remember in 2006/07, MLG Halo 2 would make it on ESPN. Not ESPN3 or ESPN8 "The Ocho" (lol), but ESPN's flagship channel. I saw this as a HUGE accomplishment for the scene.

MLG isn't nearly as popular or powerful as it used to be, but I think it opened the door for eSports to enter pop culture in America. Back then it was the only show in town for major gaming tournaments that would reach the masses. Now, there are countless leagues and countless tournaments.

Marketing an image that can appeal to the masses is the best way to pump more money and sponsorships into competitive gaming, and ultimately attract more viewers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom