• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Escaping Dedede's Chaingrab

Smashed Potatoes

Smash Rookie
My brother mains Dedede, and I have a difficult time getting out of it. It is especially frustrating when he has me against a wall (i think that's unescapable?) However, if it's on maps like FD or battlefield, how would I DI out of the grab? If I tech, he'll techchase me with a dash attack if I tech away, or a downsmash if I roll towards him. I'm not sure what to do now...any advice?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I had Dedede problems not too long ago after beating this guy with Dedede. Then he uses Dedede to ruin my celebration! I suggest struggling to do the Up+B to stop this annoyance right in their tracks. You just better hope your Dedede-playin friend isnt fast on chaingrabbing.

Chrono Centaur

Smash Apprentice
I suggest try to air dodge and put some distance between you or something. Dedede is a *****, though, and the problem is is that if you get further away, all he does is tip you with his hammer. D:< So its really annoying.

Smashed Potatoes

Smash Rookie
Yeah I've attempted jabs to stop him, rolling, etc.. But thanks for the suggestions I'll try it out. Forgot about the Up-B; it's just that I've been hearing NERF NERF NERF so much I don't use it as much as I did in Melee.

BadGuy

Smash Journeyman
if the first grab gets you, all you can do is try to jab at king or DI off the stage. It sucks, but that's how it is.

Helkulkhamen

Smash Cadet
Dedede has two types of chaingrabs on Bowser, one of which is an infinite. If he has perfected his timing, he can grab you, down throw, then repeat as many times as he likes. It takes a good deal of timing, but if he learns how to do it there is no escape from this. Sadly, Bowser is one of five characters that can be grabbed this way.

twilightmystery

Smash Rookie
Well what ive noticed is that your character starts falling after being thrown but if you tech off the ground the moment before you land on the ground after a throw you can cancel the falling animation lag (where your character just lies on the ground) and choose a direction as you tech so you quickly roll on the ground or proceed with a quick jump afterwards to try and escape DDD. You could also try to just choose to lie on the ground until DDD comes over to you and counterattack but if you see a downsmash coming, then just roll out of the way.

Top Bottom