• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Eruption can beat recoveries.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I've used it without fail on King Dedede, Ness, and Captain Falcon so far. By without fail, I mean with proper timing. If you do it right, they will suffer grave damage for trying to recover low. Right as they Up B, launch it and it will send them skyward.

Don't do this if they've already hit the ledge. If you try to punish with armor, it won't work because Ike doesn't have the armor he once had in Brawl. Just let them go in low and nail it when they're about to come up. I haven't tried other characters, but I will see how it works in the future. If you want to try it, post your results of who's been hit by it.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Yup. The custom eruptions are even easier, and an instant gimp for vertical recoveries that put you into freefall with eruption2.

Ike does have super armor at max charge (max charge ~3/4 of the way through).

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I've still been successful with it. Just watch out for Link, Toon Link, Ike, and anyone who puts a weapon up and in front of them.

Last edited:

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
The best part is how well you can condition someone with it. I was fighting a tough Captain Falcon player on For Glory earlier this morning. I got him with Eruption several times, so he started doing wall-jumps and timing his recovery better. So I simply went down and baired him instead.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Okay, so little update. A quick refresher for those of you who want to practice this move in Traning mode.

1) Training mode
2) Set CPU damage to 100%
3) BThrow off stage
4) Pause the game

The CPU will fall off the stage without recovering high. Unpause when they're in range to low recover. This is where you can practice Eruption the best on other characters. It might be a little harder to do on characters with fast recoveries, such as Marth, but easier ones like Duck Hunt let you learn the precise timing.

Update: Upon further investigation, if you're playing on a stage like Battlefield, Final Destination, or any Omega that doesn't have walls that stretch to the bottom of the screen, an opponent can recover from under the corner and avoid Eruption. That's from playing a Duck Hunt and a Lucario player, both of which took advantage of going under the stage's corner to avoid a full-frontal attack from Eruption. Of course, it could also just be my timing.

Last edited:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Any move that doesn't automatically snap the ledge is severely punished by Eruption.

Shulk comes to mind. If you can time his Air Slash depending on if he's in Jump or not, you can hit him during his first Air Slash and either trade or beat it out.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yup. The custom eruptions are even easier, and an instant gimp for vertical recoveries that put you into freefall with eruption2.

Ike does have super armor at max charge (max charge ~3/4 of the way through).
what is super armor?

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Use this sparingly against Ganondorrf. Not only can his uppercut hit you, and not only can he grab the ledge and Uair you if you failed to time it properly, but with enough time, he might punish you with a death Side B.

Top Bottom