• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Er....um....Hi?

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
Why do I feel so nervous posting this?

Ah...hi, everyone! I'm Ravioko. Pleasure to meet you?
So, I've been thinking...I got into Smash when I was little, when Melee came out. And then I really liked Brawl. And now Smash 4 is out and I love it.
I got into competitive Smash between the releases of Brawl and Smash 4. As nice as it is to watch Melee, I've given up hope on playing that competitively. Not super interested in trying Brawl, and I love competitive Smash 4, playing and watching, even if I'm not the best at it. But for awhile now I've been thinking about competitive Smash 64. I've watched a bit, and it looks fun. I have a copy of the game and a N64, so playing the game isn't a problem. (Plus if playing online via emulator is possible, I have an Alienware 14, so I could certainly run the game. I'd just need to learn how to play it online.)
My question here is, how do I start? I know no one who plays competitive Smash 64, I don't know ANYTHING about playing this particular iteration of Smash on anything more than a casual level - it's all new.
Would someone mind helping?

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
Why do I feel so nervous posting this?

Ah...hi, everyone! I'm Ravioko. Pleasure to meet you?
So, I've been thinking...I got into Smash when I was little, when Melee came out. And then I really liked Brawl. And now Smash 4 is out and I love it.
I got into competitive Smash between the releases of Brawl and Smash 4. As nice as it is to watch Melee, I've given up hope on playing that competitively. Not super interested in trying Brawl, and I love competitive Smash 4, playing and watching, even if I'm not the best at it. But for awhile now I've been thinking about competitive Smash 64. I've watched a bit, and it looks fun. I have a copy of the game and a N64, so playing the game isn't a problem. (Plus if playing online via emulator is possible, I have an Alienware 14, so I could certainly run the game. I'd just need to learn how to play it online.)
My question here is, how do I start? I know no one who plays competitive Smash 64, I don't know ANYTHING about playing this particular iteration of Smash on anything more than a casual level - it's all new.
Would someone mind helping?
i would say the best place to start is by playing online if there isn't a competitive scene near you. You can find all the downloads you need in the index thread of the 64 section on this site( (except for the rom which you will have to find for yourself). if you want to find out if there are any players near you check the player location map thread that is stickied. The main 64 scenes in the US are the tristate area, LA, chicago, MD/VA, and a few others that i cant think of right now. In terms of learning how to play competitively. Here are some awesome tutorial vids that will get you started.

part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI6h7P2xR2A
part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUVPq5RZ9Ko
part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddKDePIWXFs
There are some other guides out there but these are imo the most comprehensive and best explained

Other than that you came to the right place. You can learn a lot about the game here in the 64 section. i recommend checking out the "n64 controller discussion" if you plan on using an n64 controller. If you happen to have a controller in good condition i highly recommend greasing the joystick so that it wont wear down

Edit:i also just want to point out that smash 64 is pretty much the Goldilocks of the smash series. Brawl/smash4 are a bit slow/lack button inputs, melee is tediously technical, but 64 is jussssssst right

Last edited:

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
i would say the best place to start is by playing online if there isn't a competitive scene near you. You can find all the downloads you need in the index thread of the 64 section on this site( (except for the rom which you will have to find for yourself). if you want to find out if there are any players near you check the player location map thread that is stickied. The main 64 scenes in the US are the tristate area, LA, chicago, MD/VA, and a few others that i cant think of right now. In terms of learning how to play competitively. Here are some awesome tutorial vids that will get you started.

part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI6h7P2xR2A
part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUVPq5RZ9Ko
part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddKDePIWXFs
There are some other guides out there but these are imo the most comprehensive and best explained

Other than that you came to the right place. You can learn a lot about the game here in the 64 section. i recommend checking out the "n64 controller discussion" if you plan on using an n64 controller. If you happen to have a controller in good condition i highly recommend greasing the joystick so that it wont wear down

Edit:i also just want to point out that smash 64 is pretty much the Goldilocks of the smash series. Brawl/smash4 are a bit slow/lack button inputs, melee is tediously technical, but 64 is jussssssst right
Yeah, I've heard that about Smash 64 in comparison to the other games, which is why I'm willing to give it a shot. Thank you for the videos - I'll watch them soon.
I doubt I'll be finding any players in person (there's basically nothing around here, gaming wise) so I'll definitely be playing online at some point.
As for a controller, I don't think I'll be using the general N64 controller (although I do have one), but instead the "Hori Mini Pad". I mean, it's third party, but it was officially licensed by Nintendo, and it is rather nice, although I don't know if it's "the wiimote of Smash 64" or banned in tournaments or anything (although, assuming it's a matter of "what's most comfortable for you, I'd probably just stick with that)

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
I doubt I'll be finding any players in person (there's basically nothing around here, gaming wise) so I'll definitely be playing online at some point.
Look at the map located here and post your location to be added
As for a controller, I don't think I'll be using the general N64 controller (although I do have one), but instead the "Hori Mini Pad". I mean, it's third party, but it was officially licensed by Nintendo, and it is rather nice, although I don't know if it's "the wiimote of Smash 64" or banned in tournaments or anything (although, assuming it's a matter of "what's most comfortable for you, I'd probably just stick with that)
Any controller is legal for Smash 64. Also, it's definitely not the wiimote of our game; it's a very nice controller.

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
Any controller is legal for Smash 64. Also, it's definitely not the wiimote of our game; it's a very nice controller.
Ah, that's nice to hear! Glad it's not banned or looked down on.

Bassic

Smash Apprentice
Hey! Awesome that you decided to start playing smash 64. If you want to learn how to install the emulator, check out this hour-long video tutorial here. It's relatively easy to follow.

The 64 community is super nice and helpful, so anymore questions just ask! Good luck.

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
Horis are accepted in all major tournaments and are generally considered a very good controller for competitive 64. A lot of good players use it as their main controller. And they are supposedly a lot more durable than 64 controllers so it's probably a good investment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom