• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Emulation/ROM Legality

godofrock72

Smash Cadet
Okay, I've seen many debates about this. So could somebody clarify it for me?

What I've heard is that emulators are legal, and commercial ROMs are illegal unless you own the original game.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Essentially.

Or, rather, making copies of the ROMs are illegal. You see, the games (or ROMs) are copyrighted. This means that you are not supposed to make copies of the games.

So when you download an emulator for a game system, that emulator is not copyrighted. (or if it is, the maker of the emulator has given you permission to make copies). But when you download a ROM, that is a game which is copyrighted.

For more of a background, try reading my thread here.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
In essence, it is illegal to download a ROM unless you already own the game.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
I don't believe that's true. Fair use entitles you to make an archival(/backup) copy of your game; it doesn't entitle you to a copy however you go about obtaining it.

toon_marth

Smash Ace
You don't see too many people getting in trouble for this. Though ROMS are not necessarily welcome on forums. I recommend not downloading any roms that would be easily obtainable by legal transaction (I.E. a game you can buy at gamestop). I only downlaod ROMs that are either a super rare game, or not available in the US.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
The legality of ROM downloading is not clear. There hasn't ever been a court case for one. So Fair Use is certainly in question.

Common sense screams that if you already have purchased the game, no harm can become of you downloading a ROM. But the courts most often do not operate within the bounds of common sense. This is exactly the sort of thing that Fair Use was created to protect. In spirit, it absolutely should fall within Fair Use.

jmlee337

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
LEE#337
Well, if not for ROMs, I never would have gotten into smash
:)

Top Bottom