• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Empty Hopping and Air Dodge Reads

Geese

Smash Cadet
So I have been watching Larry and I notice he has just been going for empty hop into grab. What I'm wondering with this is, since Fox's grab range is pitiful, is it really a safe option to go for, because if you space it wrong you could get easily punished. Along with this I notice that whenever he grabs and throws them, he does not go for an aerial afterwards and just punishes the air dodge by empty hopping to scare them into the air dodge, and then fast falling into a short hop uair. Since most of Fox's grab combos aren't true and end as a 50/50, does it make more sense to go for the air dodge read more often to get more percent instead of just whiffing an aerial and possible getting punished?

seoh

Smash Cadet
the best and hardest to do answer is do both and don't get read. A really good example is there was a point in the second set of GF at Mexico Saga where he read ZeRo's air dodge 2-3 times in a row, and then took the game with an uair that was not true and ZeRo just didn't air dodge. This only happens because Larry consistently punished the air dodge, and made the incredible read.

Larry also does a lot of nair/bair in neutral depending on match up and phase of the game, so naturally empty hop grab counters shield, the counter to sh nair, late fh nair, or falling/late bair. its just rps and Larry is really good at it

Last edited:
Top Bottom