• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Eltrotraw's Yoshi videos! (Updated 01/12/07)

Eltrotraw

Smash Journeyman
Wow. Looking back at some of these old videos shows me how much I've improved.

Recorded 04/07/07:
Link: Eltrotraw(Yoshi) vs Vizrahen(Marth) 01-01
Link: Eltrotraw(Yoshi) vs Vizhrahen(Marth) 01-02
Link: Eltrotraw(Yoshi) vs Vizrahen(Marth) 01-03
Link: Eltrotraw(Yoshi) vs Eltrotraw(Falco) 01-06

My comments on this day's set:
This day basically made Vizrahen stop playing Falco(his old main) and switch completely to Marth... though we both sucked compared to now.

Recorded 04/21/07:
Link: Eltrotraw(Yoshi) vs. Reed(Fox) 01-01
Link: Eltrotraw(Yoshi) vs. Vizrahen(Marth) 02-01

One match with a kind bad Fox and another match with Vizrahen.
Vizrahen's shown improvement already.

Recorded 04/23/07:
Link: Eltrotraw(Yoshi) vs. Vizrahen(Marth) 03-05
Link: Eltrotraw(Yoshi) vs. Vizrahen(Marth) 03-06
Link: Eltrotraw(Yoshi) vs. Vizrahen(Marth) 03-07
Link: Eltrotraw(Yoshi) vs. Vizrahen(Marth) 03-08

Vizrahen improved a lot. I was and still am incredibly sad I couldn't record the matches we played a few weeks later as he improved even more, causing me to end up pushing my game even further...

...then he stopped playing the game a month afterward.

Recorded 05/05/07:
Link: Eltrotraw(Yoshi) vs. m0nk(Peach) 01-01
Link: Eltrotraw(Yoshi) vs. m0nk(Peach) 01-02
Link: Eltrotraw(Yoshi) vs. m0nk(Peach) 01-03
Link: Eltrotraw(Yoshi) vs. m0nk(Peach) 01-04
Link: Eltrotraw(Yoshi) vs. m0nk(Peach) 01-05

I think this was recorded before m0nk showed some notable improvement with his Peach, though his two spammy attacks(dash/dsmash) really got me at times due to my near-suicidal rushing game with Yoshi... at the time.

Recorded 01/11/08:
Link: Eltrotraw(Yoshi) vs. Rehabilitator(Mario) 01-02
Link: Eltrotraw(Yoshi) vs. Rehabilitator(Zelda) 01-04
Link: Eltrotraw(Yoshi) vs. Rehabilitator(Sheik) 01-05
Link: Eltrotraw(Yoshi) vs. Rehabilitator(Zelda) 01-06
Link: Eltrotraw(Yoshi) vs. Rehabilitator(Mario) 01-07
Link: Eltrotraw(Yoshi) vs. Rehabilitator(Zelda) 01-08
Link: Eltrotraw(Yoshi) vs. Rehabilitator(Sheik) 01-09
Link: Eltrotraw(Yoshi) vs. Rehabilitator(Pikachu) 01-16
Link: Eltrotraw(Yoshi) vs. Rehabilitator(Marth) 01-17
Link: Eltrotraw(Yoshi) vs. Rehabilitator(Dr. Mario) 01-18
Link: Eltrotraw(Yoshi) vs. Rehabilitator(Mario) 01-19

My thoughts on this day's set:
Out of all the people I've played recently, Rehab is one of the most consistent. I like to think of it that I prefer going for techniques and such while he mainly goes for mindgames.

Let me know if there are any broken links and please oh god leave me a critique or two on one of the more recent ones. I want to know what problems I'm making consistently.

BooThunder

Smash Journeyman
I am not the greatest yoshi player but i can still see a few areas in ur game which need help

vid 1: first off STOP ROLLING AND SPOT DODGE SO MUCH! this marth ur playing is defnitly not a complete noob but his mindgames are horrendous. you spot dodged after spotdodged soo much of his tilts and smashes that it made me cringe when he fell for it the 4th or fifth time in a row that you approached him. also it seemed that ur ground game (which actually showed some promise) was repetative and overused. and it seemed to me that (whether u were doing it for the purpose of sandbagging or not) all you ever did was use the dtilt or dsmash out of shield/dodge/roll in order to get him off the edge, and then spike him. trust me i know its sweet but it will NOT WORK against a better marth. other characters might be a different story, but trust me against marth its a bad idea to try and challenge his arials and side-b when hes recovering. other than that, you showed that you have great intuition and however many mistakes the marth made, u almost always capatalized on them in no time which was impressive. general stuff: use more eggs and djc airials for that matter just use more arieals besides fair. oh yeah and use more eggs i cant remember if i saw a single egg in that match and PS is great for eggs honestly my second fave egg stage next to corneria

vid 2: okay personally i think u both played a little better in this match except at the end where you both got a bit nervous and impatient and played the infamous rolling smashing game. u used more dash attacks in this one which I dont approve of exactly but it seemed to work ok against that particular marth so its fine (play your opponent, not your character ). More chasing and juggling!! I was actually impressed by how you managed to gain control of the board for most of the match which is essential for playing marth on YS, but you need to get out of the habit of using so many DOWN-tilts and DOWN-smashes and DOWN-whatever! theyre good in some sitchaations, but generally against a marth u need to pop him up in the air.. and keep him there with everything u got like djc uairs, and eggs.

vid 3: those first 2 eggs got me excited but alas u stopped using them quickly. one obvious mistake was the missed edghog at 00:30 besides that i think the same advice from the other vids still apply here. another thing is that u definitly know how to get right in a marths face, but when hes spacing correctly, your tactics could easily get ***** by tippers ( not talking about this marth, talking about if you played a better marth).

vid 4: im not even going to talk about vid 4 because of how horrible the falco was.

don't feel as if im being too hard on you, i think you have the makings of a great yoshi
you just need to diversify your tactics and get practice against harder opponents and eggs, eggs, eggs and...... eggs not the side-b egg or the neutral-b egg or the shield egg or the roll egg, i mean the UP-B EGG!

Eltrotraw

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, I actually did look at Bringer's guide and tried incorporating the fair more into my air game in these matches.

I normally used to also mix in DJC(and some just fastfalled) sex kicks for aerial attacks mostly.

As for the down tilt... I mainly use it to give myself more breathing space, although I likely spam that a lot - at least it wasn't like when I was first learning Yoshi, where I spammed the down SMASH instead of the down tilt.

Still, would you suggest that I either take to the air/forward tilt more often along with the down tilt attacks to keep my opponent on edge?

BooThunder

Smash Journeyman
yeah the forward tilt is pretty good especially on fast fallers but the uptilt is a great damage racker when the situation arises and most important is that you should learn to juggle with djc uairs because its an imporatant part of yoshis comboing ability and against some characters its the only way

nub?

Smash Rookie
when edgehogging with yoshi, you don't have to wavedash back on the ledge. All you have to do is run of the stage and use your double-jump to turn back to the stage immediately which will result in a quick,easy edgehog. This is because yoshi flutter actually descends for the first few frames. hope i helped :)

and also more bairs would help for settin up a few combos and rackin up damage

Pekkle

Smash Rookie
Attempt to start some combos. As BooThunder said, you use down-attacks too much, and it gets predictable. Try to grab your opponent and pop em up in the air, and juggle to rack up damage. Yoshi's combo starting moves include: uptilt, f-tilt, down throw, up throw, up smash, and especially DJC Uairs (double jump cancelled up airs). Usually people do d-throw to djc uair chains.
Plus, no need to wavedash to edgehog. =D
Also use the SH -> reverse DJ -> fast falled fair. Great way to catch people off guard, but i can only do it facing the left xDD

Eltrotraw

Smash Journeyman
It's time to go through another experimental phase with Yoshi, then. I've never really tried to use the grab much with him, since it's so easily punishable, but it seems that it's a good idea to try it at least.

I do know how to do some aerial combos with Yoshi, but executing them is much different than knowing.

Aside from that, I have some other videos ready for viewing. I did try to take some of the advice presented to mind, although it seems I'm concentrating on my problems one at a time.

4/21: Eltrotraw(Yoshi) vs. Reed(Fox) [uh, try not to mind the background noise in this one. the conversation was completely unrelated]

4/21: Eltrotraw(Yoshi) vs. Vizrahen(Marth) [see above. Viz improved from the last time, I think]

4/23: Eltrotraw(Yoshi) vs. Vizrahen(Marth) 5 [subtitled for fun]

4/23: Eltrotraw(Yoshi) vs. Vizrahen(Marth) 6 [subtitled for fun]

4/23: Eltrotraw(Yoshi) vs. Vizrahen(Marth) 7 [subtitled for fun]

4/23: Eltrotraw(Yoshi) vs. Vizrahen(Marth) 8 [subtitled for fun]

If you're curious from looking at my other videos... my secondary character is Marth - but I just like Yoshi's style too much to stop playing with him.

Winnar

Smash Lord
So many eggs... D:

Didn't watch all of them, but that's my biggest worry. Egg spam is dangerous, especially when facing Mario/Doctor Mario (lulz I wrote ita whole guide on the subject now that I think about [hint, hint, click here for it; I went to all the trouble to write it, reference it, find it, and hyperlink it ;-;])

Hm...I did watch the Doctor Mario match (the recent one). My main concern was that you were relatively predictable. After you tumbled and missed a tech (or techrolled), you ALWAYS rolled toward the center of the stage, usually towards Doc. That's very punishable once your friend catches on.

The only other thing I can think of from the ones I watched was that you seem to be reacting to every move Rehab makes instead of anticipating every move Rehab makes. I know I had that problem (and still do to a lesser degree); just start thinking two or three or four moves ahead, even if they aren't YOUR moves per se (as in, be thinking of what's about to happen and how best you can react to it).

I M TIRED LULZ IM GOIN 2 SLEEPZ NAO BAI BAI

Eltrotraw

Smash Journeyman
Egg spam's kinda a habit. Those videos I tried to see if I can explode them next to him or read his movements.

Funny enough I did anticipate a good chunk of his moves - when I was playing as Marth(then again the reverse was true) >.>

Perhaps I could find a better way of how to transfer that reading to Yoshi now...

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
SSBM: Eltrotraw(Yoshi) vs. Rehabilitator(Sheik) 01-05

-The edgeguard at 0:46 would have been better had you gotten up earlier. You should have been able to hit Sheik, if you predicted him going above you. Granted, you did manage to hit him, but he rolled when he should just just jumped.
- 1:14 f-smash was just too slow. D-smash would have been nice, f-tilt or even a grab for combos would be good.
- Following that smash you did a d-smash, but Sheik's best option then was to jump out of shield or roll away. You had a tiny window to hit with d-smash which is possible, but I would have preferred a less laggy move.
- Edgeguarding @ 1:46 or so. Your best option when Sheik is that low is to edgehog. It limits his options to the stage, and if you can time your getting up invincibility correctly you should be able to punish his recovery.
- @ the end, you obviously had given up or were waiting for Sheik to react, and got needled twice. What you should have done is fire an egg to bait him to grab you, but drop the egg on his head when he dashes forwards. Either that, or turn around, instant edgehog and then edge egg into something.

That's all I've watched so far. I'll agree with points made earlier that you tend to react rather than predict and proact, but that comes with time and practice.

The only other point I'll make is about one of your own comments in the match. "You can grab from that far? Ok then" or something to that effect. To master Yoshi against other opponents, you need to know your opponent's character as well. To give a practical example, I was playing against a friend's Donkey Kong and predicted that he would do an edge roll. Because I knew that DK's roll is very long compared to most people's rolls, I ran further back to punish him. Afterwards, my friend asked how I knew to punish him like that, and I simply replied "I dunno, that's just how long DK's roll is". If you are surprised when you get grabbed from range by character X or when character Y's attack lasts longer than you expected, learn from it and don't be surprised next time.

Knowledge is power ^_^

Eltrotraw

Smash Journeyman
- 1:14 f-smash was just too slow. D-smash would have been nice, f-tilt or even a grab for combos would be good.
- Following that smash you did a d-smash, but Sheik's best option then was to jump out of shield or roll away. You had a tiny window to hit with d-smash which is possible, but I would have preferred a less laggy move.
oh my god thank you bringer

I'm still under some of the mentality of "dsmash! dsmash!" with Yoshi that I did that following dsmash subliminally and never saw anything wrong with that move.

- @ the end, you obviously had given up or were waiting for Sheik to react, and got needled twice. What you should have done is fire an egg to bait him to grab you, but drop the egg on his head when he dashes forwards. Either that, or turn around, instant edgehog and then edge egg into something.
There, iirc, I was expecting him to dash at me.

As for the Sheik grab thing, I think I was just surprised at how high Sheik was able to grab me. Unless the grab range hit Yoshi's boot during that, I didn't think I'd be grabbed until I was further down.

Top Bottom