• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Effectively punishing sing in a mirror

c4ll me co4ch

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4227-4093-1228
So I was playing FG this morning and had two games against this other puff that, quite frankly, I should have rolled over. However, half of the reason I threw the matches was cuz I wanted to go for the MLG no setup rests which in both games threw me a 1.5 stock lead. The other problem I had, however, was this was a puff who fairly constantly threw out Sing. I'm not even talking like "I'm falling and he's edge-guarding so I'll rest and blah blah blah" Sing, this was just "Sing :troll:". I just never use it, so I was fairly unsure about how to properly approach the situation. Once, I fell into a rest for a stock, but running into him to try and get a rest off led to, surprisingly enough I'm sure, my stock and not his. So, overall, it was not the overall reason for me losing the match, but it was something I was just....confused about.

Some ideas I had:

• Rollout: High damage, usually requires massive setup but since he's not going anywhere anyways, seems like a viable option?
  • Falling rest: Stock or flower, but if percents aren't high enough, can lead you to getting counter-rested (?) and may be slightly riskier if you have to travel a bit of distance in case he stops singing in time?
  • Dair: Honestly seems like an awful punish; low damage, puts you right next to him if he VIs into you (I think?) so may set up rests, but also means he's right next to you if he wants to rest :\
  • Side Taunt: Swag, no risk
  • Something else...?
Ultimately, the biggest issues is, unlike most characters who have horizontal punishes that should be able to aptly (or better yet, safely) put percentage on a bad Sing, I feel like Jiggly just doesn't. Pound doesn't go far enough I think and Side smash has the same issue, so I'm not exactly sure what the best route is.

drakeirving

Smash Journeyman
super swag mode: get close and shield only during the sing hitboxes, then rest out of the last one

Also if you're dair punishing don't do a falling dair that's dumb. Drop down, then jump and rising dair instead. Jiggs is also pretty easy to dair->rest to kill at lowish percents (not that you should necessarily go for this); you can practice this a bunch in the waiting room if you have like ten seconds.

Keftii

Smash Rookie
NNID
Keftii
3DS FC
3368-3629-0323
Using sing in a mirror match is asking for a punish. I dont know how this is supposed to be a viable option. Rest punish if it kills. If he got high enough % go for bair. If hes too low % for kill and im low enough not to die from a rest punish myself id still go for the ballsy plays and rest him. I dont think he can take a rest,rest me back and get rested again without that killing him... But jiggs is not grounded enough for random sings to work,and there are also no predictions you can make like with greninjas up-b or fox/falco side-b landings on stage,so...

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
When are the hit boxes? I thought it was just up for the whole duration
A visual cue I use are her hands. Whenever the get near the top, the hitbox happens, for a total of 3 hits. Test it out with a sandbag in Training, you can see hits when the sandbag flashes.

CHOVI

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHOVI3
3DS FC
3566-1571-6130
I may be alone in this but I punish sings with rollout.
I don't really like resting in mirror matches unless it's the last stock because you give a free rest to the other puff.
Also, side taunt sounds good :p

Top Bottom