• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

effect of gravity on nair hits

General Heinz

Smash Journeyman
hi everyone, kind of a strange/maybe useless question but i watched this video the other day and it taught me some things i didn't know before and got me thinking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pch2er2zx9s

quick summary of the important bit: apparently after jumping, gravity doesn't apply until the second airborne frame. however, using an aerial always causes gravity to apply. this means that by starting the aerial on frame 1, you can cause gravity to apply a frame earlier, causing your character's jump to peak lower (both SH and FH). the video above uses falco to illustrate but iirc he doesn't give any specific uses of this quirk (in falco's case, my best guess is that not only is a frame 1 AC bair just obvi intrinsically faster than frame 2+, but it will be safer as it hits lower on shield, i.e. you retouch the ground sooner).

for a long time i've had a problem with hitting both hits of nair on a standing character. obvi characters with larger frames are just easier to do this to, but even a relatively tall character like marth gives me problems sometimes. i understand there is a FF timing that helps this, but in the case of a very short character like fox, i'm not sure how hard that makes things. admittedly i haven't done a lot of testing.

my question is basically: since nair hits so high, could improving our input timing out of SH make it easier to get both hits of nair on very short characters when they are standing? if so, does anyone already know about this/utilize it? despite what it seems it's my understanding that this would not be a frame-perfect input, as (correct me if i'm wrong) i believe you can input your aerial during jump squat, making this a 5-frame window. this may also help instant AC uair hit even lower (not really sure to what extent that one extra frame of gravity helps against which chars, but ofc against fox this is the hardest but also extremely useful).

it's possible (in fact likely) i have been doing this intermittently for some time, but really was not aware of this interesting physics quirk and am overall just curious falcon mains' thoughts on it. thanks! :)

タオー

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1146-8863
I've been aware of this mechanic for a while now, and have always wondered how this gravity "glitch" could influence Falcon's SHFFL options. This shouldn't be too difficult to test with 20XX, I'll try and do some testing on this tonight. While there is so much potential for Falcon to utilize from this, off the top of my head I'd say that instant rising uair would benefit from this, as it can hit lower faster, and fall back to the ground faster. I don't think it would be good for stomp, as it further limits the amount of aerial distance you can cover, which is how you make stomp safer. Shorter Full hops could be useful too, but with them only accessible while starting a jump with an instant aerial, their utility seems to go down. I'll be sure to post my findings.

Top Bottom