• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EdgeWaiting to Aerial/Waveland with Ganon

DeathMetalGimli

Smash Rookie
So I noticed the edgewaiting thread over in the melee general discussion and I figured I would ask this here instead of there.

My question is how do I consistently get good wavelands/aerials while I go onto the stage from the ledge with ganon? I've tried practicing just doing the drop and jumping onto the stage, but from my experience it's very difficult to even land on the stage much less do anything out of it

I've seen Kage do wavelands into jab/tilts especially and I believe I've seen aerials like a quick fair out of it also (may be wrong on that one. I'll see if I can find an example). I wish to incorporate this into my game, but I don't even know if it's feasible for people who aren't Kage lol. If somebody could help me out with this I would greatly appreciate it

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
>kage is the only ganon to be able to ledge dash

Dude go watch more ganon play or actually play good ganons. That **** is standard practice in today's meta.

But to answer your question, you want to do the following (arrows are for control stick direction):

Right ledge:

-->, <-- + x/y, r/l + <--- angled.

Left ledge: the opposite

You could also drop with the c stick if you're uncomfortable with this method.

Keep practicing. Once you get down the timing it's not that bad. The stuff you'll learn later is much harder.

DeathMetalGimli

Smash Rookie
Lol I am aware that this is common practice, I worded that kinda badly though lol. I've been watching Kage all day so he came to mind. I'm just starting to go to weeklies so I'm not super experienced, and I don't want to look like a total idiot when I show up lol

I do it with falcon all the time, it just surprised me when I tried to do it with ganon because I could barely even get level with the stage so it kind of threw me off. I was pressing down on the C-stick to get me off the ledge though, so the fact that I can use over to get off the ledge is really good to know.

Thanks for the help

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
You only have about a 2-frame window for error on a ledgedash (ledgehop into waveland). You need to be able to ledgehop every time and just practice the ledgedash. You must jump IMMEDIATELY after dropping from the ledge, then IMMEDIATELY start holding forward, and hit R/L at the peak of your dj. It's important to get used to holding forward quickly (not just jumping quickly) as it's imperative for RLD's (reverse ledge dashes), where you must snap the joystick backwards a frame before you input R/L at the peak of your DJ so you can waveland offstage (or dj back onstage with an aerial, whatever you want to do). Also test out applications out of ledgehop. Ledgehop to immediate run offstage, into immediate DJ bair back on stage is very sneaky, and useful when you use it wisely. Also simply ledghopping into immediate jump + waveland on platform is fast. You can pivot before you waveland if the situation calls for it too, also very fast.

DeathMetalGimli

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the additional information ACE. I'm still struggling with ledgedashing but I haven't had a lot of time to practice. Hopefully I'll have more time on the weekend to practice the other things you suggested

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Besides ledgedashing, what other methods does Ganon have to get up from the ledge. With his weight and short double jump I find it hard to perform any aerials. I can release ledge -> Uair -> UpB to return to ledge but that may not be practical because I end up in the same position if my opponent returns to edgeguard me fast enough. For Ganon do I just need to mix up all the standard options? i.e. roll get up, get up attack, ledgedash?

Thanks

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
roll
stand up
getup attack
ledgejump
ledgehop
ledgehop + shield
ledgehop + jab (invincible)
ledgehop + grab (invincible if FP)
ledgehop + ftilt
ledgehop + immediate aerial
ledgehop + immediate jump + platform wL
ledgehop + run offstage + dj bair back on
ledgehop uair
ledgehop uair regrab
ledgehop nair
ledgehop + wizards foot
ledgehop + side-B
ledgedash
ledgedash + shield
ledgedash + jab (invincible if FP)
ledgedash + grab
ledgedash + ftilt
ledgedash + immediate aerial
ledgedash + we on platform
ledgedash + moonwalk
ledgedash + roll
reverse ledgedash (RLD) ledge regrab
RLD + fair onstage
RLD + dair onstage
RLD + uair onstage

Basically mix those up depending on risk/reward potential.

Dimir

Smash Rookie
Slightly off topic, but for any Ganon mains who want to learn some advanced stuff, I recommend checking out Bizzarro Flame, especially his most recent games. While I find he makes some questionable move choices (like when he misses a stomp that probably should have been an up-air), he's probably the most stylin' Ganon around. You might learn some stuff you never knew Ganon was capable of.

Last edited:

Superspright

Smash Lord
Meh. I can do all the stuff he does, and I moonwalk a lot more than him in matches. Most of us have somewhere near his tech-skill if we're decent. Most of us aren't that flashy though.

Top Bottom