• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edgehogging w/Olimar

Florida

イーグランツ
When edgehogging and opponent, do you hug the ledge, or up-b? Olimar's up-b should be used for edgehogging over hugging; if you haven't realized how helpful his up-b is to edgehog yet, then just go and try it on some level nine computers or so. The up-b makes it so that the ledge is still being hogged while Olimar is dangling below and safe from the opponent's up-b. If you're edeghogging against a Marth or Ike, then press "A" as they activate their up-b to gain your invincibility frames while still holding onto the ledge.

Up-B > Hugging
Just be sure that you have your maximum amount of pikmin out, and you're good to go.

Kaoz

Smash Cadet
Nice tips, Ill try out. Just to be sure, I have done this but it seems the invinciblity frames dont last as much.. could this be true or just my imagination? :confused:

Kabuto Mushi

Smash Journeyman
Yeh, I realized this awhile ago... however OLIMAR is usually the one getting edgehogged. :laugh:

Anyway, just a note, remember that you are still vulnerable while dangling from the chain... I died once from a TLink who used downA on me while I was edgehogging another guy, because after like 5 seconds the pikmin pull you back up to the ledge by themselves... :embarrass

Pyr0

Smash Ace
Yeah, this is true.

I have added this little trick to my arsenal from the very first day I tried Up+B and from personal experience, I can say it OWNS.

Oh also, if you are getting edgehogged, try using the Up+B, you might just edgehog first, and have the foe fall to his doom (I love this kind of kills)

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
I believe this video demonstrates what the original poster is trying to say:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqfcA3a5fPo

Watch it, starting at 0:25.
But after that shining moment, which was risky cause people start falling and losing their Up B every now and then doing that, He go killed ad edge guarded for trying that same thing.

And why was he trying to spike a Character like D3? You're better off spamming your pikmin and thwomping him.

I've done it before against Metaknight when I was in the 230% and yeah it works nicely because of how slowly you get off the edge at a high percent, I wouldn't do if was a low percent.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Yeah, this is true.

I have added this little trick to my arsenal from the very first day I tried Up+B and from personal experience, I can say it OWNS.

Oh also, if you are getting edgehogged, try using the Up+B, you might just edgehog first, and have the foe fall to his doom (I love this kind of kills)
Yes, in many cases, Olimar's Up+B will grapple the edge before the opponent. A lot of people underestimate the range of Olimar's tether. It can reach surprisingly, even shockingly, long distances. Also, Olimar's tether can grapple the edge without being in a 45 degree angle, like how the chain looks when Olimar performs Up+B while standing on the ground. I suggest testing Olimar's grapple on several maps and get comfortable with where Olimar can be to successfully grapple. :)

Fino

Smash Master
Yes, in many cases, Olimar's Up+B will grapple the edge before the opponent. A lot of people underestimate the range of Olimar's tether. It can reach surprisingly, even shockingly, long distances. Also, Olimar's tether can grapple the edge without being in a 45 degree angle, like how the chain looks when Olimar performs Up+B while standing on the ground. I suggest testing Olimar's grapple on several maps and get comfortable with where Olimar can be to successfully grapple. :)
Yeah, I agree. Testing olimar's grappling capabilities is a great way to get fluent with edge-hogging. Personally I would test a stage, such as norfair, where there are a lot of edges to grapple on to.

A great strategy with his tether recovery is when you knock someone off stage jump off, Fair or Dair (if you can) and tether back.

~Fino

Froth

Smash Journeyman
Olimar also have a huge grapple range. (grab, not tether)
And, there's close to no lag. He can grab several times in 3 seconds.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Olimar also have a huge grapple range. (grab, not tether)
And, there's close to no lag. He can grab several times in 3 seconds.
There is no start-up lag to Olimar's grabs, but there is a "cool-down" lag, when the Pikmin walks back to Olimar. They run out from Olimar instantly, but it takes about 1 second for them to walk back to Olimar, and Olimar can't do much during that 1 second.

Froth

Smash Journeyman
There is no start-up lag to Olimar's grabs, but there is a "cool-down" lag, when the Pikmin walks back to Olimar. They run out from Olimar instantly, but it takes about 1 second for them to walk back to Olimar, and Olimar can't do much during that 1 second.
That's only if you have one pikmin. If you have many, no risk taken.:chuckle:
So, unless you have 1 pikmin, maybe 2, there is no "cool-down" lag.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
That's only if you have one pikmin. If you have many, no risk taken.:chuckle:
So, unless you have 1 pikmin, maybe 2, there is no "cool-down" lag.
An easy way to test Olimar's cool-down lag with his grabs is to do this: grab, then immediately try to do something else, like jump. You will notice a very, very subtle cool-down lag - I'm talking like 1 second - where Olimar can't do much after grabbing, no matter how many Pikmin he has.

When spamming his grab, Olimar can do it so quickly that it seems like there is no lag in between, but there is. It's a shorter lag than trying to grab and then jump or something, but it's there.

Froth

Smash Journeyman
Well, spamming his grab has less cool-down lag, which i was trying to say. i was talking about grabbing once, then jumping or anything.
But thanks for the info.

Florida

イーグランツ
http://youtube.com/watch?v=t-q4Wy_08hU

I would like to point out a slight example of what I'm trying to get across. At 02:10 in this video, I use the up-b to delay my invincibility frames while still hogging the edge. When my opponent tries to up-b, I quickly press A to gain my few frames of invincibility, and successfully perform an edgehog.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Well, I am glad there's at least some perks to Olimar's tether. :)

Top Bottom