• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edgeguarding.

Zaprong

Smash Apprentice
How do you like to edgeguard? Do you dragon lunge to the stage? or do you try to Dragon lunge your opponents for snipes as your aerials dont really gimp unless its dair or bair?

I found this but I'd want to practice with it a bit more before considering it a full option, specially when its difficult to DL in stages with shapes like this. https://vine.co/u/1136855714929999872

GreenMonkey

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3411-4102-3196
Corrin's recovery isn't the greatest, so I rarely go offstage for an edgeguard. But if I'm feeling reckless, I'll usually throw out a Nair or a Fair, but since both of them have vertical knockback, they're not your best options.

Usually I just stay onstage and try to snipe with Blue-Paralyzing-Ball-Thingy or Fsmash, but that tech definitely seems like something worth practicing.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
Breaking down edgeguards have 4 phases that are punishable(at least in my head):

Offstage aerial.
Runoff Bair
Runoff tipper DL
Runoff fair
Runoff uair

Ledge snap.
Tipper fsmash
Tipper IP
Runoff bair

Trump.
Guaranteed bair

Get up.
Spaced Reverse Tipper Dsmash
Spaced Tipper Fsmash
Chainsaw Fsmash
Dashback pivot ftilt
Kara Smash
Grab
Any attack(often not optimal)

---
This probably isn't all of them, but it's roughly my mixup list. I'd be interested in gathering a list like this and expanding it.

EDIT: I should add that I'm quite a fan of runoff bair. It's really reliable for catching the snap. Runoff nair and then bair back to stage almost always results in a trump too, which means you get a guaranteed bair if the nair fails. And if the nair connects you return to stage for possible uairs and other edgeguarding options.

Juggles and edgeguards are really where Corrin's game shines.

I supposed I've missed high recoveries off here, which can be forced with a charged B to cause opponents to jump. This pretty much guarantees an fsmash if they choose to jump instead of airdodging through the charged DFS.

Last edited:

ESC Artiste

The One Who Smashes All
NNID
Ember
3DS FC
1435-6612-4647
I actually edgeguard quite a bit. However, I make sure to do so having my second jump. I usually edgeguard with a fair, u-air, and maybe even a pair of I want to psyche out my opponent. I Also use a Dragon Lunge to give myself extra coverage on the wall, and then jump from it to recover better (make sure the opponent isn't in an easy position to take advantage of your recovery being completely vertical. Speaking of, there is one technique that I use to edgeguard, but it's VERY risky. It's the dair spike, and while on some stages it's going to be chance kamikaze, stages with walls (even stages like Colleseum), you can recover.

Basically, you have to read your opponents position to execute the dair spike successfully, and jump high enough from the stage without double jumping to to make sure it doesn't accidentally become a chance kamikaze. It goes as such.

Jump->Dair->Second Jump->Dragon Lunge into Wall->Jump from Dragon Lunge->Dragon ascent to Ledge.

It's very hard to execute, but extremely satisfying if pulled off correctly, and it gives you the advantage over the opponent. Again, it's very hard to execute, so don't rely on it. Use it wisely however, and the crowd will notice.

Anyways, I hope that answers your question! :D

Zaprong

Smash Apprentice
I actually edgeguard quite a bit. However, I make sure to do so having my second jump. I usually edgeguard with a fair, u-air, and maybe even a pair of I want to psyche out my opponent. I Also use a Dragon Lunge to give myself extra coverage on the wall, and then jump from it to recover better (make sure the opponent isn't in an easy position to take advantage of your recovery being completely vertical. Speaking of, there is one technique that I use to edgeguard, but it's VERY risky. It's the dair spike, and while on some stages it's going to be chance kamikaze, stages with walls (even stages like Colleseum), you can recover.

Basically, you have to read your opponents position to execute the dair spike successfully, and jump high enough from the stage without double jumping to to make sure it doesn't accidentally become a chance kamikaze. It goes as such.

Jump->Dair->Second Jump->Dragon Lunge into Wall->Jump from Dragon Lunge->Dragon ascent to Ledge.

It's very hard to execute, but extremely satisfying if pulled off correctly, and it gives you the advantage over the opponent. Again, it's very hard to execute, so don't rely on it. Use it wisely however, and the crowd will notice.

Anyways, I hope that answers your question! :D
Actually you can recover from dair without DL, you can double jump and then upb to go back, but you have to hold upb in the backwards direction once it starts to give an extra height boost and you can make it.

Its risky though, because you have no control about what your opponent is up to

Indexxical!

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-0469-2438-4789
I like to b-reverse my dragon shot as my opponents are coming back to the stage; especially if they recover low. If they recover low, holding that charge takes up a great window of time, so they either get MEGA stage spiked, or they just get too low to the point they can't recover.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
F-smash and Dragon Fang Shot are long-ranged, and can potentially do their jobs as edge-guarding tools. Keep note, however, that the energy sphere that's fired from Dragon Fang Shot will not deliver any knockback if it was already used to send an opponent flying off-stage; airborne fighters can only be paralyzed once, and after that, they have to touch ground before they can be paralyzed again.

Last edited:

McZaxon

Smash Cadet
NNID
McZaxon
Switch FC
SW-0554-7774-1020
Dair followed by a footstool right before you go off screen. Works every time. guaranteed. :awesome:

*obvious sarcasm is obvious* ;) I've had a bit of an issue with this at times as well. But doing the dragon lunge off stage works well for me. I've never really been good at edge guarding though, no matter who I play with, so I'm usually too afraid to go offstage and do anything. :upsidedown:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Imo their edge guarding is kinds bad, but they cover ledge options fairly well which is what I focus on.

Ja<e

Smash Rookie
I perfer using f-smash as an edge guard than Dragon gang which I see people use alot and it always catches them and mostly instant kill too ( also use it for anti roll or trap). Chainsaws Ftw.

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
Onstage, I think his best options are a Dragon Lunge tipper, charged f smash, charged bite of Dragon Fang Shot, or short hop nair during the opponent's get up. Offstage, you've got bair, fair, Dragon Lunge into the wall, and nair. I pretty much exclusively stick to those options unless I'm going for something stylish.

Zionaze

Smash Ace
If you're really good at 2 framing people just doing onstage dair to chip extra % is pretty easy. And if it trades then they get spiked

Top Bottom