• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edgegaurd options/ combos in and out of uptilt

tiemur

Smash Cadet
So I've just recently picked up wolf and I've had two burning questions in my mind.

1. Should I use forward smash as an edge guard tool? and if not, I've tried back airing my opponent, but they always float over me, what should I do?

2. What are some good uses for uptilt?

Thanks a bunch!

tiemur

steakhouse

Smash Apprentice
Real men edgeguard with downair.

Up-tilt is super fast and can chain into itself at tiny percents and into most aerials at higher percents. It can extend combos, or even as a starter due to its speed. Upair or dash attack are usualy better.

In rank of speed i think its smth like shine > jab > nair > up-tilt. Just start using it when you don't have enough time to up-air or upsmash.

tiemur

Smash Cadet
Real men edgeguard with downair.

Up-tilt is super fast and can chain into itself at tiny percents and into most aerials at higher percents. It can extend combos, or even as a starter due to its speed. Upair or dash attack are usualy better.

In rank of speed i think its smth like shine > jab > nair > up-tilt. Just start using it when you don't have enough time to up-air or upsmash.
I always miss the spike! something I'll have to work on along with howling during the energem. Ive never thought of using uptilt as a combo to itself. something I will definitely be adding to my book of things to practice. thanks for the advice!

Cynic

Smash Rookie
Offstage dair is one of my favorite options. It can finish a stock decisively---or bite you in the ass and leave you offstage and vulnerable if you miss. You don't want to go for the meteor EVERY time, but after you've had some experience aiming it, you should be able to be pretty judicious about when you can and can't get it to hit. I like following blaster shots offstage and dairing my opponents right after they get hit by them.

One thing I like about utilt is that it the hitbox stays out for a short moment, making it a killer tool for edgeguarding the other spacies if you predict a side-B onto the stage.

TimeMuffinPhD

PhD in time travel and muffins.
NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
So I've just recently picked up wolf and I've had two burning questions in my mind.

1. Should I use forward smash as an edge guard tool? and if not, I've tried back airing my opponent, but they always float over me, what should I do?

2. What are some good uses for uptilt?

Thanks a bunch!

tiemur
1. I prefer f-smash as a punish tool, it has insane range and is a decent move overall, but it isn't always the best option. D-smash is incredibly good for edge-guarding; sends at the perfect angle with a good amount of knockback (also covers below the ledge). With B-air it sounds like you just need to be more accurate with it, a good thing to do is follow your opponent deep off-stage with it. Also someone said D-air is a spike; it's not, it's a meteor.

2. As someone said before me, it's best used as a combo extender, it's not a move you can throw in at any time - it's more situationally useful. I find it quite useful against fast-fallers. I have a Wolf guide here on Smashboards which analyzes all the moves in Wolf's arsenal, check that out if you need help with any of his moves.

Jake The Preacher

The Amateur Preacher
Use the reverse hit for upsmash, it'll send at a super shallow angle everywhere after 12 o clock. Fsmash can work too, reverse uair, dsmash sometimes. Dair works as long as you space it right and hit it without potentially teching it. Utilt is basically Fox/Falco utilt except in the front, so watch how melee players use utilt and try and form your own ideas. My idea of it is antiair, or use it like a shine if regular shine doesnt reach, which is pretty much the antiair thing I was talking about

Top Bottom