• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edge guarding with Wario.

Aluwolf

Smash Rookie
I've been watching some videos, and am learning a lot on edge guarding with Wario but am looking for more information. A lot of people say he's one of the best at edge guarding, and I can sort of see why but but basically every video I've seen shows him edge guarding with his B

What other reliable things can he do to edge guard?

Ikespike

Smash Rookie
NNID
Warui95
If someone recovers low, jump down and use down air. Either you can KO them early or they are forced to tech the stage spike.
If your bike is on the stage and your waft is fully charged, grab your bike, drop down and immediately waft. The hitbox extends and they can't really recover, because either they get hit by it or they are already too low to recover. Those two options are pretty effective against predictable recoveries. Another thing you could do is do abuse the one frame of vulnerability, when someone grabs the ledge. Extend your waft and cover that frame.
Back air is pretty strong and can KO early and forward air can be used to gimp some recoveries, since it comes out pretty fast and has stronger knockback now.
Dash attack has a long lasting hitbox, which can hit the one frame of vulnerability at the ledge and the sour spot can be used to put your opponent into an uncomfortable position.
Just some examples what Wario is capable of.

Last edited:

DailyDose

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0490-5872-8349
Wario is one of the best at defending opponents getting up from a ledge. With a little bit of set up time you can cancel your bike and then throw it upwards before your opponent can perform their get-up. That pretty much forces them to either linger on the ledge or get-up roll to avoid the bike from falling on their head.

Without the bike Wario still has an amazing tool in the chomp. What I like to do is stand about 1 body length away from the ledge. If your opponent tries to normal get-up or get-up attack you just hold Chomp or shield the hit then Chomp. If they jump they are in perfect position for an Uair. If they roll you can dash attack towards them to cover the ending frames. Choosing the right attack requires a quick reaction, but if done correctly you can cover almost every option.

Last edited:

C4-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pig321
wario has so many different things he can do while edgegurading its quite amazing!

The typical edgeguard would be to use Bite to cover a get up attack ,neutral get up, and jump, its a really good option but you need to know the draw backs. An oppenent can easily drop off the ledge and get a free fair if you become predictable with the bite edgeguard,Also roll can go past it. I find that bite edge guarding is most effective when your oppenent is just about to grab the ledge or already has and your not in position to set up a better edgeguard, for whatever reason oppenents except it less when you fall from the air while biting (atleast in my experience).

Bike edgeguarding would be another option you have. Throwing the bike up or down can work wonders while an oppenent is trying to recover. If the oppenent is close to grabbing the ledge already then throwing the bike up near the ledge is a great choice. it has the possibility of covering almost all options, since its bouncing oppenents can obviously time their option and get past the bike but if you use the bike in combination with another move you can seriously limit their options. for example if you have the bike bouncing at the ledge your oppenent is most likely not going to do a get up attack or neutral option and probably not even a jump if your bike just started bouncing, so they will see their best option as rolling, so you want to cover that option with something. sitting on the other side of your bike just enough so you dont accidently eat the bouncing bike can be an amazing choice. I have gotten setups where they roll past the bike into my mouth and are released back into the still bouncing bike. I also tend to punish with an upsmash to get a kill from that type of situation. You can always mix it up , maybe try throwing the bike up in the spot where there roll would go to cover that option and sit near the ledge with a bite. Also Ledge trumping with the bike bouncing is AMAZING please do it, an oppenent on the ledge without invincibility PLUS the bike bouncing? now thats a position you want your oppenent in.
- Also like i previously mentioned throwing the bike downward so its bounces at a close angle near the ledge can be great if an opponent is going to try and recover from below the stage. throw out a dair on the bike bouncing off stage to get a longer dair hit box or place a dair beside the bike to have more area covered with a bite box.

Dair in general is a really good edge guard because it is a multi hit move. depending on where your dair connects it will send your oppenent left or right, this can come in handy as you do actually have time to shift the part of the oppenent you are hitting to change the trajectory a little bit. i find standing near the ledge and going deep with dair when your oppenent tries recovering near the stage to work really well.
-Dair has an interesting property where if the last hit of it does not connect than you will get a spike, this can work on certain characters who have a slower UpB with a hit box to clash with dair (which can cancel out hte last hit) an example would be dairing fox or falco as they begin moving after the begin moving with their up B's (when the hit boxes clash falco/fox can be spiked). It can be tricky at first but when you start getting the hang of it. Also certain characters whose hurt boxes go above stage before grabbing the ledge i.e. rosa, falcon , etc.,(not sure what to call characters whos recvoery is like that but their are a few), can actually be hit by a dair that is done close to the ground. This can be done by walking off stage then jumping back on and instantly dairing ( if done right you should be getting the first few hits off of dair before it cancels out by touching the ground).

Another interesting edgeguard would be warios dash attack, the hit box on dash attack can catch the single frame of vulnerbilty very well ( TBH idk if its the single frame of vulnerbility or if it just hits slightly below the stage and hits opponents before they grab it). this works the easiest on the characters i mentioned previously for having hit boxes the reach above the stage but it is not limited to those characters, it can work on everyone i believe.

Reflex actually posted about an interesting way to edgeguard aswell, he mentioned how if you ride on your bike without inputting forward, when you reach one of the edges your bike will slow down alot and tilt forward off the stage, during this animation and rolling up to ledge your bike is an active hit box! mess around with it , its pretty interesting. might be a good mixup if you dont already have the bike on stage to set up an edgeguard with.

If your messing around with customs , rose waft has a big enough hit box to hit understage while standing near the ledge.

TLDR
throwing bike up, bite, dash attack, dair, ledge trump :)

Top Bottom