• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edge-Guarding with Pit *Questions*

Shibby

Smash Journeyman
University of Minnesota (Green Bay Wisconsin in Su
I want to use Pit as a secondary main for myself and I am getting used to his moveset. My question to you guys and girls is what techniques do you use to Edge-Guard with Pit?

2.) Do you chase after your opponent and do a "Down-A"? Do you shoot arrows, then chase?

3.) What moves of Pits can I use to spike?

-----

Other questions I have

4.) What are Pits primary kill moves?

B-Air, F-Smash, ... ?

5.) When you grapple an opponent what throw do you use? (Into a certain combo too maybe?)

6.) Also, what is my best bet for approaching with Pit?

Dash attack, Short-Hopped D-Air, ...?

-----

If you have any advice, tips or answers for me, thank you so much!

:)

-Shibby

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
1.)
There are a whole bunch of things you can do to edgeguard. It depends on the stage, positition, and the character.

2.)
Don't use the down-aerial, it pops them up. Shoot arrows if you're far away and can't chase them in time.

3.)
Pit's down-tilt is his only spike. It works if a character touches Pit's lower half.

4.)
100% - Sweetspot B-air
130% - F-smash, D-smash, Glide attack
150% - F-tilt, F-air, U-smash

5.)
At low percents you can do up-air after down-throw. At higher percents where you can't combo the down-throw, the up-throw will do more damage. Forward and back throws are for getting off the stage

6.)
Dash attack should be only used if the opponent is open. For safe approaches use forward and down tilts, and short hop neutral airs and down airs.

Before UndrDog comes in, I'll tell you about the shield dash. If you press and let go the shield button while dashings, you'll stop your momentum, and you'll be able to do any attack.

Shibby

Smash Journeyman
1.)
There are a whole bunch of things you can do to edgeguard. It depends on the stage, positition, and the character.

2.)
Don't use the down-aerial, it pops them up. Shoot arrows if you're far away and can't chase them in time.

3.)
Pit's down-tilt is his only spike. It works if a character touches Pit's lower half.

4.)
100% - Sweetspot B-air
130% - F-smash, D-smash, Glide attack
150% - F-tilt, F-air, U-smash

5.)
At low percents you can do up-air after down-throw. At higher percents where you can't combo the down-throw, the up-throw will do more damage. Forward and back throws are for getting off the stage

6.)
Dash attack should be only used if the opponent is open. For safe approaches use forward and down tilts, and short hop neutral airs and down airs.

Before UndrDog comes in, I'll tell you about the shield dash. If you press and let go the shield button while dashings, you'll stop your momentum, and you'll be able to do any attack.
Whats your opinion on using Pit's Down-B (Shield) to approach or block physical attacks?

Saw a video of some "Pit Pro" and he used the Shield quite a bit to block attacks effectively.

ex.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tgzSPbO3NT8

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Don't use the mirror shield to block physical attacks. It has start up lag, (thus you can't use it on reaction well) and end lag (making it harder to attack afterwards). The video you showed didn't show effective use of the shield at all. There were times where he used it and nothing happened, but he was lucky Ganon didn't attack while he put it away. Notice that when he used it to block Ganon's F-tilt, he wasn't able to punish him in time, I know from experience that if he used he regular shield, he could've grabbed him.

Using the shield as an approach is a bad idea when you have your neutral-air, and arrows.

Shibby

Smash Journeyman
Don't use the mirror shield to block physical attacks. It has start up lag, (thus you can't use it on reaction well) and end lag (making it harder to attack afterwards). The video you showed didn't show effective use of the shield at all. There were times where he used it and nothing happened, but he was lucky Ganon didn't attack while he put it away. Notice that when he used it to block Ganon's F-tilt, he wasn't able to punish him in time, I know from experience that if he used he regular shield, he could've grabbed him.

Using the shield as an approach is a bad idea when you have your neutral-air, and arrows.
Gothca

3char

WhatIsPie?

Smash Apprentice
I'm trying to do something new. Before, I'd just follow them offstage with my jumps but then I'd tend to miss the fair. So, what I'm trying to do is WoI refresh and then follow them offstage. That way, I'd be perfectly in their face and after that initial hit, I still have all my jumps left to follow up. The only problem with this is that WoI has a lot of start up time. It's no where near as fast as running off stage.

Also, when you shield approach, should you be able to see your shield pop up?

Edit
Forgot your other part. Dthrow. Your other throws are useless unless they're a light character(MK) and at a high percentage.

Dthrow into ftitlt at a low percentage if they don't DI. If they're at a high percentage, uair. If you time it right, they should only be able to airdodge the first half of the attack only. Feel free to follow up your uair with more uair.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Yes, wing refresh is useful for when they are way out there, but you don't have to use it if they're close.

You're doing it correctly. You may feel like you're leaving yourself open, but you're not. Dash- shield-tilt, is faster then, walk-tilt.

kown

Smash Lord
What i mainly do on MOST stages and chars

1) I usually just grab the edge after knocking him back far enough with a mix of looped arrows and fair/bairs

2) Putting pressure on them is key. ( anyway that works for you is best) I loop the arrows and than attack them right after my first arrow. There are many arguments (pros/cons) but i believe its the right move.

3) The closest thing ive come to spike is mirror shield a marth and ike for thier recoveries.
pit doesnt need a spike just put yourself in there face and they will make a mistake

4) I wouldnt say he has a primary kill move even tho most of my kills are off of edge gaurding and fsmash

5) down throw always except when close to edges is a rule i go by.

6) Learn this on your own!!!!! You improve faster learning things on your own!!!!

kotahlicious

Smash Journeyman
Whats your opinion on using Pit's Down-B (Shield) to approach or block physical attacks?

Saw a video of some "Pit Pro" and he used the Shield quite a bit to block attacks effectively.

ex.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tgzSPbO3NT8
yeh the guy in the video wasnt that good with mirror shield but when i was watching and something else caught my eye. has it been addressed that if someone is one the edge and u b-air them they go straight down like a meteor or spike.

WhatIsPie?

Smash Apprentice
That's common knowledge for all characters. You can hit people against the side of a stage with any attack and unless they tech, they'll get spiked and die.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
To edgeguard, I usually just jump off the edge depending on the character. If I have no risk of getting back I do that, otherwise, I stay on the edge.

I'm going to start trying to WoI to edgeguard now that I know it's possible. But I haven't tried this on any good human opponents yet. I've only tried it on a couple of people, and they weren't that good and it wasn't even that effective.

Nair is a great approach move. Spot dodge to fsmash works great against many people for some reason.

Don't use dair as a spike move or as a kill move really. It doesn't work as either really all that well.

Top Bottom