• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edge guarding below stage with marth?

Kiusthugs

Smash Apprentice
Can someone tell me some ways of edgeguarding with marth and recover back to stage properly. I don't know what I'm doing, fairly new competively and watched m2k edge guard and I just don't understand. Specifically when they're below the stage how do you gimp them? Drop down, jump aerial gimp and then up b recover?

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
Quite a few options, drop down, jump fair, up b back, drop down reverse up b, drop down jump bair, up b back, etc, try to mix it up.

Kiusthugs

Smash Apprentice
Quite a few options, drop down, jump fair, up b back, drop down reverse up b, drop down jump bair, up b back, etc, try to mix it up.
Tried it out this morning... dropped down at moderate height, jump fair and then up b. My problem was I still die cus I couldn't teach the stage. Do I have a second jump if I hit someone?

MrYaah

Smash Rookie
Tried it out this morning... dropped down at moderate height, jump fair and then up b. My problem was I still die cus I couldn't teach the stage. Do I have a second jump if I hit someone?
No second jumps from hitting people.

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
It's not the only way, but a very good, and viable way. You could always just wait for them to get back, and grab ledge, utilt, dtilt, or whatever else would work in that situation.

Sutekh

Smash Apprentice
Some of the crazy low edgeguards you might have seen M2k recover from could be using side-b. If someone (usually a spacey) is directly below the edge, you can drop off, side-b them out of their Firefox/bird, double jump, and then up-b to grab ledge. I use drop back-double jump-bair-up b from ledge pretty often, but Marth has a super strong edgeguarding game from stage as well, so it won't always be necessary to go offstage, you have to judge each situation independently. You can get early kills be aggressively edgeguarding offstage, but if you start getting too predicable, you could find that your opponent will figure out how to turn what was an edgeguard for you into a kill for them.

Hunybear

Smash Ace
Can someone tell me some ways of edgeguarding with marth and recover back to stage properly. I don't know what I'm doing, fairly new competively and watched m2k edge guard and I just don't understand. Specifically when they're below the stage how do you gimp them? Drop down, jump aerial gimp and then up b recover?
Just practice Rising Areals first. ( a rising areal is when you use an areal while moving upward "normally after a jump") Just jump and do an areal as fast as possible. You'll see that you were "rising" during the areal animation. Next is doing one out of a double jump. Walk off stage -> fall -> double jump -> Areal ASAP "after jump" -> up- b recover. Remember to use areals that have low end lag (fast areal) because if you jump down and try to do a rising Dair you'll SD. Good practice for this is countering "down-B" fox or falcos up-B -> run off stage -> double jump -> Fair -> up- B -> ledge grab/ land on stage.
I like to wait for fox or falco to firefox up and then I dair them when it comes at me.
I use to do this but people tech really good now :T

Last edited:
Top Bottom