• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edge-game

eyestrain92

Smash Journeyman
Alright Boozers, I place myself at your capable molding hands.

I can't decide whether to main Ness or Boozer, I appear to be about equal with both, I think I'll just change based on the stage...

Regardless, Boozer has... not the greatest vertical recovery. That said, I'm sure we're all well aware that does not cancel out the prospect of off-the-edge game. I'm not sure where all prioirities lie, but this thread is to discuss Bowser's options for veto'ing any off the edge opponents.

I personally find the most effective method a simple grab when they land after a third jump, or a FAir to a second jump and BUp to the ledge simple and effective. In other notes, at least in melee, I made sure it was possible to gimp many non-high priority attacks, and even Captain Falcon's/Ganondorf's BUp with a BUp of your own straight through them back to the ledge for a ledgehog at the perfect moment, sending them falling to their doom.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I'd pick Bowser over Ness, but that's primarily because Ness has a completely destroyable recovery (just tank the yoyo and he's done).

As for edge game, I always try to chase with a Fair. Just yesterday I killed a Samus player at 70% off the side with it, twice. Bowser's vertical recovery is better than you might think, though it took me a while to realize this and start getting daring in my chasing.

Beyond that, hogging the ledge can be problematic against opponents who have damaging recoveries and can stage spike you if you're not careful. Ever since I learned that Bowser's Dair can spike, I've been trying to use it to hit foes who recover from a low angle: if you don't burn your double jump, you can very likely still recover (though I recommend C-sticking down to perform the Dair, lest you accidentally FF).

After you've pushed an opponent over the ledge, there's always good old fashioned fire breath. You can often force them to fight their way back on the ledge through it.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Bowser's edge game is incredible. Flame breathe can be used to stop most recovery's from grabbing the edge it also ranks up damage in the process.

However the best way to edge guard is old fashion F-airing the opponents away. If possible and if at high enough percent you can B-Air them if you want. This should only be done if you know you'll hit and if your F-air has been affected for being a stale move. I do not suggest the B-air too much because you just should really push with the F-air...

Overall F-air and fire breathe are the best for this.

If you do want to spike with your d air you must use the c stick. You do not want to even take the chance of fast falling. D-air last very long and bowser's vertical recover, although not as bad as it seems, most likely won't be able to handle that.

You can actually just push people away to a point in which they can't recover with the F-air. This is the best edge guard for bowser.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
You can actually just push people away to a point in which they can't recover with the F-air. This is the best edge guard for bowser.
I concur.

Though, there's something startlingly beautiful in jumping off the ledge backwards and Bairing someone with that massive spiked shell to send them careening off the side.

And then there's always the mid-air Bowsercide: chase and Bowsercide for the final stock is probably the most evil maneuver in Bowser's arsenal because it's basically a guaranteed win due to the fact your opponent is focusing on recovering and the grab has such high priority.

eyestrain92

Smash Journeyman
Bowsercide also works as a recovery under certain circumstances. Anyone else share that joy?

The main reason I avoid DAir is because it's so risky. It lasts a bit long... But it is true that his vertical recovery is better than first perceived. I'll be practicing this.

Ness, however, I'm aware has a gimpable recovery. I developed a couple mid-air manuevers for avoiding typical guards but it comes down to your opponent's mercy and utter skill most times. I tend to throw this off by keeping the opponent on defense as much as possible. However, look at Olimar and other tether recoveries, it's not an isolated problem. You suffer gimpability with several characters. Ness has always appealed to me through his unique playstyle and amazing acrobatic capability. PK thunder is nice to throw at someone approaching from above, expecting a UTilt or SHUAir. T-Ball is hilarious to pull off when the opportunity arises, and PK Fire in general is neat to throw at someone off the edge for some extra damage.

That said, I enjoy Bowser because not only the underdog stature and unpopularity, and the heightened level of respect that brings, but because he's so dangerous. He's not as slow as most people think when it comes down to it, and his power is amazing. How many other characters have a moveset wherein much more than half is capable of scoring KO's, and some at amazingly low percentages?

I also have one more question. I know in Melee, Bowser's headbutt hits opponents on the ledge. I didn't get the opportunity to test this in Brawl, and I don't know when I'll have another chance to. Does this technique still work?

Before I'm thrown out because I don't possess Brawl, I developed capability by simply visiting friends' houses and playing off their consoles. My main practice buddy's Wii is on the fritz and getting sent in for repairs soon, and my other friend, whom I've always played Melee with, is right down the street and much more accessible in general.

I'm afraid bouncing between Melee and Brawl will deteriorate some of my Brawl game, but I'm sure there's things I could learn more easily in Melee in the same manner.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I also have one more question. I know in Melee, Bowser's headbutt hits opponents on the ledge. I didn't get the opportunity to test this in Brawl, and I don't know when I'll have another chance to. Does this technique still work?
I believe it only works on certain characters who have hitboxes above the ledge when hanging from it, but it does work.

DiasFlac

Smash Journeyman
Bowser's forward smash does hit all characters at the ledge but you have to be fairly close to them (and they can't be invincible)

Most players won't fall for it tho. You can also ftilt them at the edge but you have to aim it downward.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Ah.

I know many players can punish while ledge hopping (Samus with missiles, for example), so you're better off using firebreath from a safe distance.

Top Bottom