• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edge-cancel Side taunt: Switch modes on the go!

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
I was playing around with Samus and found something rather cool. I can't imagine this being neglected in future Samus play, so hopefully all you Samus mains get familiar with it and put it to good use!

If you run off any ledge (whether it be a stage's edge or platforms) and side taunt a few steps before you slide off, your taunt will execute, your mode will change, then your horizontal momentum will carry you off and cancel your recovery frames. This means while you're skillfully maneuvering levels, you can change modes at will if the need arises. To successfully perform the technique you need to visually see Samus changing her mode before she falls off the edge.

The next layer of discovery involves using this in combos, which is entirely possible. I haven't explored this too much outside of: dair near edge, run off taunt cancel, DJ backwards Ice fair. Maybe the Samus forums flesh this out?

I don't play Samus too much but I'll try to get a video example up sometime soon. Just thought I'd throw this up here as I came across it while in training mode. Man this character is so cool.

Scidadle

Smash Champion
Hmm. This makes me want to bind side taunt to X (The button i don't use to jump) so this can be done more conveniently.

WizKid911

Smash Journeyman
I will definitely have to try this out. This can even work on stages with platforms I hope. Did you test that out?

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
It works and is really nifty, but the timing is kinda strict. Too early, the Fire/Ice switch won't happen. Too late, and you'll be sitting there defenseless for another second and a half.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Agreed, but by the same token, harder / riskier things like ledge-wavedashing were deemed too strict but eventually became a staple. This particular technique isn't that hard if you grind it out and internalize the spacing at which you should hit side taunt. Being able to switch seamlessly during the neutral game is pretty cool, especially if you just decide you randomly need Ice fair for a kill or something.

Litt

Samus
Could you SWD into a taunt cancel?
Yes you can and it is very easy to do, during or after an attack, or after you have killed your opponent, you can swd across the stage, taunt cancel, jump off charge your charge shot, and then zair back to the edge

Kankato

Smash Journeyman
Yes you can and it is very easy to do, during or after an attack, or after you have killed your opponent, you can swd across the stage, taunt cancel, jump off charge your charge shot, and then zair back to the edge
Why not just charge your shot on the edge after the cancel and never leave the stage?

Litt

Samus
because it is safer to charge shot away from the stage and then come back

Top Bottom