• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Easy c-stick nair with Wii U Pro controller

Hustle_X

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone!

This is my first post so I hope some of you will find this useful.

As most of you probably know it is possible to perform a neutral air attack by tilting the c-stick / right analog stick to one of the diagonal corners whilst in the air (c-stick / right analog stick set to ATTACK). There are a number of benefits that you get from performing the move this way such as full aerial momentum control (retreating nair) and buffering the attack to come out on the first possible frame (when combined with tap jump or jump on a shoulder button).

Many find it easier to perform a c-stick nair using the Gamecube controller since the c-stick has octagonal grooves which help guide the stick along a diagonal path if pushed in this direction. This is arguably more difficult to achieve on the Wii U Pro controller since there are no grooves and the final angle of the right analog stick after diagonal movement can be inconsistent.

I came across a way of achieving the consistent diagonal angle required for executing a nair with the right analog stick. It is based on the idea that since the "X" button on the Wii U Pro controller is at the perfect diagonal angle relative to the right analog stick, it can be used as a guide when attempting the diagonal motion.

Some of you may already be doing this but in case you are missing out here is an image of how I perform the motion:

In case the image is not clear enough, steps are as follows:

• To start, the right thumb should be resting on the right analog stick. In my case the centre of my thumbnail is directly above the centre of the right analog stick as indicated by the green dot (this may be different for you).
  • Next move and flick the stick with the thumb to the bottom left towards the "X" button. You should aim to flick in a diagonal direction such that the centre of your thumbnail lands on the centre of the "X" button after the motion as indicated by the green dot (but does not press it).
That's it! If this does not work for you then you can try a few things:

• Change the initial position of the right thumb. You may find it easier to cover the bottom left edge of the right analog stick rather than the centre when you start the motion (this will make the thumb closer to the "X" button therefore reducing the distance the thumb has to travel and potentially improving accuracy).
  • Aim for a different reference point on the "X" button rather than the centre, such as the top edge of the "X" button.
Since you are moving your thumb along a line, adjusting the start or end position of the thumb will create a slightly different angle. The goal is to find the positions that work for you and enable you to consistently create a 45 degree diagonal motion.

I recommend setting a shoulder button to jump or using tap jump when trying to perform a neutral air this way. The right analog stick should be set to ATTACK (I am not sure this is possible with SMASH stick). The bottom left motion should be used when moving to both the left and right. Practice doing two neutral airs in a full hop using this motion with a capable character such as Ryu until you can do it consistently. Then try retreating nairs. You can also use the jab attack to practice this motion since a diagonal tilt on the ground will cause a jab to come out. This can also be a good measure of your current level of consistency since you will be able to perform more jabs in a shorter amount of time than neutral airs.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
That sounds interesting. I'm going to try that when I get the chance, since I use the Pro Controller. Thanks for the advice!

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Conversely you could sand down your c-stick slot on the gcn. Melee players used to do this for their control sticks to hit more angles on fox and falco's recovery.

Though, for gcn it's better to hit for the upper right angle than bottom left like here imo.

Hustle_X

Smash Rookie
That sounds interesting. I'm going to try that when I get the chance, since I use the Pro Controller. Thanks for the advice!
No problem! Let me know how it goes. Forgot to mention that I think diagonal nairs are only possible with the right analog stick set to ATTACK and not SMASH (or anything else). I have updated the post.

If there is any more information missing from this post that could be useful let me know and I will update it.

Top Bottom