• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Easier way to land Mario's Meteor Smash (For me at least)

pegguinni128

Smash Cadet
NNID
pegg128
I've found that it is a whole lot easier to land Mario's Meteor Smash (F-air) when back flipping, then immediately holding the opposite direction of the backflip, then using the F-air. Now, I am not talking about missing the hit entirely, I am simply saying that there are 2 hurtboxes (or is it hitboxes?) on Mario's fist during an F-air. I am sure many of you know this, but I will explain it simply because there are many other people out there who don't. Mario's fist during his F-air has a chance to just hit normally, or meteor smash, depending on the timing. this thread is about those two hitboxes.

Anyways, just a little thing I found. :4mario:

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
This is a little more player based than anything but I found that if you knock people off the stage they tend to jump instantly (this tends to happen a lot more often if you pressure them with combos and mixups) I usually jump instantly after I knock them off and they jump right into the fair. Kills quite early too.

Also spamming fire balls on hedge campers is a nice way to force this situation, it tends to make them nervous about being gimped which is a side affect of this strat

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
How to use Fair from the hanging on the Ledge

Tilt away from the stage, this will have you ledge Drop and Buffer a Wall Jump
Smash Towards the stage to get close enough for the Buffered Wall Jump to kick in

Since you Wall Jumped you are now facing away from the stage, Now you can Spike a Punk

You just wall jumped instantly off the ledge. No need for a Flat Wall Omega mode Stage. you can do this on FD and an other Slanted stages, except Battlefield. Well you can do it on Battlefield but its angle is very acute and need tas like input to get it.

LedgeDrop > Wall Jump > Fair

Add this to your repertoire of Fairs
Full Hop > Fair
Full Hop > Fast Fall Fair
Double Jump > Fair
Double Jump> Fast Fall Fair
Short Hop > Fair
Run-Off > Fair

You should be able to recover from all of these

Last edited:

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor

Smash Towards the stage to get close enough for the Buffered Wall Jump to kick in

Since you Wall Jumped you are now facing away from the stage, Now you can Spike a Punk

You just wall jumped instantly off the ledge. No need for a Flat Wall Omega mode Stage. you can do this on FD and an other Slanted stages, except Battlefield. Well you can do it on Battlefield but its angle is very acute and need tas like input to get it.

For some reason I can only land Mario's FAir consistently when I'm fast falling. :upsidedown:
I know, it doesn't make sense.
Point being, this seems helpful. Thanks.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
~66% Uair > Fair in training mode yields a 2 combo, haven't gone testing how vectoring affects this. mario is not my main or pocket character or anything of the sort. just trying to do my part in evolve the meta .

cancel the Uair by landing immediately when the hit boxs connects, 12 frames of landing lag, then Full hop Fair.

Having trouble hitting Uair Low enough? heres a set up, Short Hop > Air Dodge > buffered Uair > Fast Fall During Hit Lag (happens when the attack connects)
Or Short Hop > Delayed Airdodge > Buffered Uair
Happy Spiking!

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
For some reason I can only land Mario's FAir consistently when I'm fast falling. :upsidedown:
I know, it doesn't make sense.
Point being, this seems helpful. Thanks.
It makes sense as doing attacks cancel fast fall, unless you mean you fast fall during fair then thats suicidal stuff right there. But yeah faster things are easier to land. Fast fall is falling faster done.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
It makes sense as doing attacks cancel fast fall, unless you mean you fast fall during fair then thats suicidal stuff right there. But yeah faster things are easier to land. Fast fall is falling faster done.
Yeah, I mean suicidal Fair during fast fall.

SuperLuigi9624

Smash Cadet
I like to slow them down with FLUDD. It's a lot harder to aim when they're moving, and if they're caped and they have a weak B-air or something or they're too close to the stage, just smash 'em with the FLUDD them F-air.

EZdelFresco

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CaliKid_E
If you can grab someone on the ledge(if they try a wake up attack) you can grab>dthrow>short hop>fair and get an easy spike provided that their damage is at least 30% or higher and they bounce a little higher.

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
This is super helpful. I destroy with Mario but I can rarely ever land a dunk, his signature kill move in Smash 4. The one reason I never wear the American Mario alt ;_;

Marcus Gray

Smash Rookie

Full Hop > Fair
Double Jump > Fair
Short Hop > Fair
Run-Off > Fair

I HAVE to practice the ledge drop spike.

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
This is super helpful. I destroy with Mario but I can rarely ever land a dunk, his signature kill move in Smash 4. The one reason I never wear the American Mario alt ;_;
LOL
I never wear the 'murica Mario costume because I'm mexican.
Light blue all the way

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506

Full Hop > Fair
Double Jump > Fair
Short Hop > Fair
Run-Off > Fair

Man those all sound sexy. I want videos of EACH.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Scar jump?

And I cannot for the life of me do the ledge drop > buffered wall jump thing. It's impossible I tell you
Best way to learn this( i actually learned this ages ago on the 3ds) is to go into training on fd, and set it to 1/4th speed. Then lets say you're on the right ledge of fd. you hit right on the control stick BUT only hit it just far enough to start dropping your character,if you smash it like you would for a smash then you won't have time to smash it to the left after starting to drop,which is what you need to do. from there you should have done a walljump right off the ledge of fd, so just practice it over and over and over and slowly increase the speed until you get to normal speed.

I've found it's a very nice mixup for ledge options, but i spent a few hours in training really honing it to be able to do it on command reliably,since if you mess it up you have to regrab the ledge, which is reaaaaaaally punishable in this game.

Top Bottom