• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Easier Shine OoS Technique

flyboy__

Smash Cadet
I've been practicing double shining using the X-to-B slide for well over a year, but perfect Shine OoS has been extremely difficult. I always find myself jumping too high out of shield, and I know I'm not the only spacie who does this.

Instead of doing the slide technique, try hitting up on the C-Stick and immediately sliding to B. Of course, hit down on the gray stick immediately after hitting up on the C-stick. C-Stick buffers jump out of shield, and if you practice working out of shield in Uncle Punch, you should be able to shine out-of-shield far more easily. Although it make take a little getting used to due to the different heights of the buttons, it seems more consistent and hurts my hands far less.

Although this technique is already known, I think that this should be the default technique for Shine OoS. Thus far I've hit more perfect Fox shines in 20 minutes than I had in my life up to this point.

EDIT: Just realized there is already a thread on this from like four years ago, my b.

Last edited:

4 Aces

Smash Ace
ProfessorPro and some others feel that it's better to not use C-Stick because of the buffering (which will still be affected by hitstun). This makes it so that you're kind of forced to react to when you'll actually jump vs. when you think you'll jump. Even if non-C-Stick jumps are slower, at least you'll be able to time it right yourself. Or so the lore states.

^This video kind of explains why it's better to go off of visual cues and not use C-Stick. I'm inclined to agree with all this, but Idk. One of the old reasons (which I've now gotten over) was that I used to always hit pause when doing so. But that was like 7 years ago. lol Nowadays I just use Y->B as if I'm trying to doubleshine and it's been effective for me. I don't always get the grounded shine, but that's hard for everyone. lol

Last edited:

Ted Greene

Smash Rookie
I really struggled with shine oos for a long time. I realized it wasn’t necessarily a problem with me being slow going from Y to B it was just that I didn’t have a great feel for shield stun timings. Once I started focusing a lot more on shield stun and got a better understanding for it my shines oos got a lot better. Obviously having a fast Y/X to B is important but most decent spacies players have a fast Y/X to B from doing other spacie tech but a lot don’t have good shines oos because they don’t have a good understanding of the shield stun timing.

Top Bottom