• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dvorak

WFL

Smash Journeyman
So I was bored today and decided to take out all of my keys and clean my keyboard. Right before i did this I remembered something about a different keyboard layout so I looked it up and it's called Dvorak. So I changed my keys to fit this layout and am wondering how you would go about learning it. I started a basic course thing, but that's sort of boring. I learned QWERTY pretty quick at school, but that was through a program that was paid for and very easy to learn with. So, does anyone have an easy, free way to learn dvorak?

WFL

Smash Journeyman
Thanks, I saw this but got side tracked before I got started so I'll guess I'll try it again.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
I use Dvorak. I basically learned it by printing out a copy of the keyboard layout and posting it in front of me, next to my monitor. (I also made little sticky labels to put on the keys so I could look down, but once you've gotten used to things you don't need those anymore.)

I remember reading a lot that the key to switching over is to make the switch totally and immediately. To be honest I don't remember if I did that or not (I think I tried to, because I think I started at the beginning of a weeklong vacation from school, but if you have to do any typing on public computers then you'll probably be stuck using QWERTY then anyway), but after a few months I felt pretty confident in using Dvorak all the time. It feels like a long time, though, especially because you'll be so much slower in Dvorak at first. I think there might actually be better keyboard layouts out there (at least in terms of finger distance traveling and whatnot), but as far as alternate keyboard layouts go, Dvorak is the best supported.

One downside: for those times that you have to go back to using QWERTY and can't help it, you'll probably find that (especially toward the end of the transition period) you'll keep thinking in Dvorak--or at least I do. I'm definitely faster using Dvorak, but that might be because my QWERTY skills have gone down some. Bascially, the problem reduces down to the fact that you have to deal with everyone else still using QWERTY and not supporting Dvorak, but I don't regret having switched.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
You use Dvorák, Kiki? Wow, I can't even find one of those keyboards around. They totally don't sell them in normal stores.

I'm actually not a very fast typer anyway, I can't imagine switching to a new system! I still do the "index finger only" method, lol!

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Haha! Well, perhaps I didn't read it thoroughly enough, then.

Still though... if you just change the style in your OS, then aren't your keys all mislabeled? they do sell Dvorak keyboards, and I think it would be easier than taking off all your keys and sticking them back in.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
Yes, your keys will be mislabeled, but you can either move all your keys around, relabel them with small labels or stickers of some sort (which I did when I was learning), or just not look down at the keys because you're probably using Dvorak to type faster anyway. :)

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone tried the left-hand only dvorak layout? I've messed around it once, and it sounds pretty neat to be able to type with one hand, though it seems quite hard. Is it worth it?

Top Bottom