• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DVD drive problem

psicicle

Smash Ace

Those pictures should sum it up. So far I don't know what caused this, the only thing I can think of is that I burned a DVD with recordnow and it turned out fine.

The problem is that no matter what I do the icon stays like that. Even if I have nothing in the drive, if I have a DVD or CD in the drive, even if the drive isn't closed. I can hear the DVD spinning in the drive too.

I have tried a reboot, registry doctor, spybot.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
So, the drive thinks that there's a disk in, even when there isn't? Is that the problem?

I'd try disconnecting your drive from the computer altogether and giving it a boot like that. Disconnect the power and IDE cables from your drive. If you don't know how to do this, or haven't before, let me know.

psicicle

Smash Ace
I'm using a laptop so that may be kinda hard to do. Here is some more stuff Ive done but did not work:

"well no matter what I put in there it stays like that, with the same icon and everything. The eye cannot be dead because I opened up the DVD recording software with a blank disc and it saw it and showed the free space on it and all that within the recording software. I googled the model number and can't find any firmware. Just in case, the model number of the laptop is presario B3800 and the hard drive is a GWA-4080N. I'm going to look through some CDs now to try to find some drivers."

"Well I am sort of sure, except if you go here:
http://tdb.rpc1.org/#GSA4080N

mine would be a compaq one, and there are 3 different entries. THe difference is some letters before it but when I go to properties in the device manager it does not have those extra letters and numbers in the model number.

EDIT: THe strangest thing is happening... the drive can apparently still burn DVDs.

Now it's verifying the disc which means that the drive seems to be able to read and write stuff, which means that the drive itself is probably okay

EDIT: I've successfully flashed the burner but the same problem still occurs. I'm thinking that this is a windows problem now."

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
So there isn't any problem with the drive? Maybe the the icon association got changed or something? Do you know how to change the icons in windows?

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
This usually happens when Windows can't recognize a hard drive partition, or in your case, a CD/DVD. I got that same thing when I put in a corrupt CD into my computer.

Can other computers recognize this DVD? Maybe something went wrong in the burning process?

Top Bottom