• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dumb as hell pikmin

Dyyne

Smash Ace
The single most aggravating thing that can ever happen to an olimainer is when he does his up-b, and a pikmin or two decide that they don't feel like following oli's orders for a few secs, so the up-b falls short and oli dies. Can we discuss why this happens? I mean, I know it can happen like, after being hit maybe, but sometimes it happens for reasons I can't figure out, so let's try to understand it to prevent it.

Awex

Smash Lord
it happens when they are not synched up with olimar. You have to whistle, wait a few frames for the pikmin to return to your side, then you'll get the full tether.

But obviously, that also opens time to be edgehogged but that's just how it goes. fair/uair that ***** off your ledge. =)

BobSmith006

Smash Cadet
I think that, in order for us to understand why this happens, we need to first understand the source - why the Pikmin desynch. I mean, sure, the Pikmin are right there to be used, but somehow or another they desynched, therefore causing you to plummet to your death. We all [should] know that shanus deciphered part of the Pikmin desynch, but I'm positive there are plenty of secrets left to discover. It's just a matter of time before we figure it all out.

Awex

Smash Lord
Please note I say desynch for lack of a better term in describing the pikmin not being at "Olimar's side" even though they're (by location) right next to him.

It just happens after you get hit by something hard enough. ;x

Dyyne

Smash Ace
it happens when they are not synched up with olimar. You have to whistle, wait a few frames for the pikmin to return to your side, then you'll get the full tether.

But obviously, that also opens time to be edgehogged but that's just how it goes. fair/uair that ***** off your ledge. =)
Exactly, whistling and w/e will get them back, but the problems are 1. recognizing whether they are with you or not, and 2. is there a way to prevent it from happenening? Obviously, whistle will get them back into line, but, like you said, that leaves you open to edgeguarding. Sometimes, it will appear that the pikmin are with you, but they are truly not.
Rather then whistling and possibly increasing your chance of death, if we can decipher things like why it happens, and how to tell if they are with you, it will be one less thing to have to worry about with recovering.

Awex

Smash Lord
It happens when you get hit really hard. ;p

They won't fall along the same path as Olimar and if they do, the position the pikmin are in is a little different than when they're at Olimar's side. I dunno how else to explain it, but I've gotten used to telling visually whether or not they're at my side.

Awex

Smash Lord
Hmmm haven't seen that one personally. I've seen Pikmin do pretty ******** things though so I'd believe it.

RichBrown

Smash Master
Just whistle a lot. When I'm hit off the edge, it's become second nature for me to whistle right away. Occasionally I do get lazy when I'm playing a friendly, and I'll just assume they are all there, and one of the pikmin says "eff u" and doesn't go into the chain. But yeah using whistle frequently helps this. I seriously whistle so much.

Olimarman

Smash Ace
When you get hit offstage, the first thing you should always do after DIing is whistling to prevent things like this from happening. What I'd like to know, however, is occasionally when you upb with Oli, you don't get the slight upwards boost. This cost me the GB finals, and I'd like to know what I did wrong...

Rocann

Smash Lord
When you get hit offstage, the first thing you should always do after DIing is whistling to prevent things like this from happening. What I'd like to know, however, is occasionally when you upb with Oli, you don't get the slight upwards boost. This cost me the GB finals, and I'd like to know what I did wrong...
That's basically when you just got hit. Like, you know how you can use an aerial to cancel momentum? If you use up + b in that timeframe, you'll get no boost.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Whistling prevents it after being hit, but sometimes they will literally stop following for no reason. Like, let's say your hit off. You di, you whistle, fall a bit, then up-b, and some of them don't join the chain. That's really why I made this, but if that is just completely random, then lulz.

RichBrown

Smash Master
It's similar to how when you hit sonic up in the air, his dair doesn't shoot him down like it normally does. Those physics apply to Olimar's upB. ya gotta wait for your momentum to stop. This has happened to me a few times. It actually saved me once because I avoided my opponents fair and ended up stage spiking them hahaha

Top Bottom