• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Duck Hunt Patch Changes Discussion

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
It's early days yet, but I was dying to see whether the doggy got the short end of the stick or not.

So far, after a quick half-hour session in training mode, I haven't seen any noticeable changes (although I briefly thought that the reticle for the can was bigger and that Clay Pigeons end-lag had been reduced. Most likely pure speculation, however.)

But hey! It's fun to speculate!

Has anyone noticed anything different so far? It seems that if any changes have been made, they are pretty dang subtle ones. I'll play around with him a lot more after Uni today and see if I notice anything then.

Also, no more getting stuck under Lylat Cruises ledges anymore! Hooray!

-

*Edit-Formatted*

Confirmed Changes:
  • Duck Hunt appears to be unchanged.
Unconfirmed Changes:
  • Duck Hunt's can was buffed by 1% from the minimum of 8%. His fair in a sour spot does 1% damage less now. His nair's sweet spot was nerfed 1% also.
  • Duck Hunt's Dash Attack has more knockback.
  • Smash Attacks connect better.
  • Lag on Clay Pigeon has been reduced.
  • Can reticle size has increased slightly.
Debunked Changes:
  • Duck Hunt's can was buffed by 1% from the minimum of 8%. His fair in a sour spot does 1% damage less now. His nair's sweet spot was nerfed 1% also.
  • Duck Hunt's Dash Attack has more knockback.
  • Smash Attacks connect better.
  • Lag on Clay Pigeon has been reduced.
  • Can reticle size has increased slightly.

Last edited:

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
I've only been playing for a little bit, but it seems like his smash attacks connect a little more now (speculation). Someone confirm this

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
Hmm, over on the reddit they're saying the reduced lag on Clay Pigeon is untrue. I'm not ruling it out yet, however...

lilinuyasha

Smash Apprentice
NNID
lilinuyasha
In general, there's been no confirmed changes. I'm busy playing Mewtwo, so it's hard for me to really say. However, I don't think they changed him. Honestly, the important thing was the Diddy nerf.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
Can't confirm anything...he seems the same as before...thank god

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
That's disappointing. So they didn't reduce the clay pigeon lag nor fixed the smash moves nor made the gunmen more durable?

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
Yeah, from playing him a bit more and reading Dunnobro's posts on the matter it seems that Duck Hunt hasn't really changed at all this patch.

Bleh. I was hoping we'd get some small improvement like consistent smash attacks or less lag on moves. Ach well...

Next time, mebbe.

Suicidal_Donuts

Smash Ace
NNID
IfItIsntBryson
I secondary Duck Hunt, and I'm just glad to see he wasn't nerfed in any way (that we know of). He could use a couple minor buffs though, I'll agree, but he's still good. Other characters ranked higher than him getting nerfs helps in general anyways, so maybe some matchup won't be as bad in certain situations.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Sorry if this has been brought up already, but did the sombrero-wearing Gunman's bullets always inflict fire damage?

I don't recall that ever being a thing before, and none of the other Gunmen's bullets have elemental attributes.

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
Sorry if this has been brought up already, but did the sombrero-wearing Gunman's bullets always inflict fire damage?

I don't recall that ever being a thing before, and none of the other Gunmen's bullets have elemental attributes.
Yeah, that's their thing. They shoot incendiary rounds and can do the most damage, but they have poor range. It'd be quite cool if some of the other gunmen had elemental shots...

But Sombrero is special.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Yeah, that's their thing. They shoot incendiary rounds and can do the most damage, but they have poor range. It'd be quite cool if some of the other gunmen had elemental shots...

But Sombrero is special.
Good to know!

I've been playing Duck Hunt since the 3DS version and I never picked up on that. Cool~ >w<

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
Sorry i claimed that there were no changes, after playing a ton of for glory with Duck Hunt i did notice his forward smash has a way better hitbox. I'm so happy cause a lot of us Duck Hunt users wanted this to change, and everytime someone was able to escape the smash attack i would get so pissed off, so thanks for the change Sakurai!

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
The best update that concerns Duck Hunt - We don't have to be as wary to take Diddy to stages with low ceilings any more.

Also I think I'm going to be amazing at fighting against Mewtwo after this month is over.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
DOGGY HAS ONE MAJOR CHANGE GUYS.

DID YOU KNOW YOU CAN SHOOT THE CAN WHILE IT'S STILL IN MID-AIR?!

...oh wait, nevermind. Can confirm, doggy is untouched and still adorable.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
DOGGY HAS ONE MAJOR CHANGE GUYS.

DID YOU KNOW YOU CAN SHOOT THE CAN WHILE IT'S STILL IN MID-AIR?!

...oh wait, nevermind. Can confirm, doggy is untouched and still adorable.
Wish I could hit the can with Aerials when it is midair without it blowing up in my face. It'd be like the ultimate projectile.

lilinuyasha

Smash Apprentice
NNID
lilinuyasha
I thought you could after it hits the ground first? I've noticed my opponent hiting it out of the air with Nairs on occasion.

Top Bottom