• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Duck Hunt or Duck Hunt Dog?

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
The game calls him Duck Hunt so that's what my friends and I call him. But on the boards I've seen a lot of people call him Duck Hunt Dog and I was just wondering, what's right?

Ninetale3

Smash Cadet
Technically both are as different translations refer them as either of these. It's just a matter of preference.

Last edited:

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I don't think it matters.

Duck Hunt would probably be more accurate since it's a combination of the duck, the dog, and the person using the zapper, but like I said I doubt it matters.

chuckthesmashlover

Smash Journeyman
In my opinion, Duck Hunt refers to the trio of the dog, the duck, ant the off-screen hunter as well as the Wild Gunmen that the dog can summon. Duck Hunt Dog just refers to the dog, who is just one part of the team.

ShortcutButton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShortcutButton
Duck Hunt, here in america.

"As opposed to being a single entity, the "Duck Hunt" character consists of the dog and a duck from Duck Hunt; in various moves, they are assisted by a fourth-wall player using an NES Zapper, as well as objects from other NES light-gun games such as the gunmen from Wild Gunman." -SmashWiki

I guess you could say the character is a corporation.

T0MMY

Smash Master
When people refer to the character as the Duck Hunt Dog, I usually ask "What about the Duck?".
When they say "oh yeah, the duck too" I then ask "What about the person using the NES Zapper?" just to get them really flustered. This character concept is full of troll.

Ninetale3

Smash Cadet
Fair point. 11 for final smash...actually I forgot the 8bit ducks in the final smash as well. so thats 18 characters,

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
Fair point. 11 for final smash...actually I forgot the 8bit ducks in the final smash as well. so thats 18 characters,
Everyone just think, we play with 18 characters at the same time, that's how much of a troll Super Zapper Fun Time is. We definitely picked the best character(s)

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Duck Hunt Gang.

It's what I call the character.

Duck Hunt Dog

Ducky

Gamexplain (Zapper guy)

Wild Gunmen

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
This again? So stupid...

When you select Duck Hunt, you aren't really playing as Duck Hunt Dog only... you are really playing as the dog, the duck, the NES Zapper player, the five Wild Gunmen, and the Hogan's Alley gang.

When you select Peach, you aren't really playing as Peach only... you are really playing as Peach AND Toad.

When you select Zelda, you aren't really playing as Zelda only... you are really playing as Zelda AND Phantom.

When you select Rosalina, you aren't really playing as Rosalina only... you are really playing as Rosalina AND Luma.

When you select Olimar, you aren't really playing as Olimar only... you are really playing as Olimar AND Red Pikmin, Blue Pikmin, Yellow Pikmin, Purple Pikmin, White Pikmin, and Winged Pikmin.

When you select King Dedede, you aren't really playing as King Dedede only... you are really playing as King Dedede AND Gordo.

When you select Robin, you aren't really playing as Robin only... you are really playing as Robin AND Chrom.

When you select Villager, you aren't really playing as Villager only... you are really playing as Villager and Lloid.

When you select Lucas, you aren't really playing as Lucas only... you are really playing as Lucas AND Rope Snake.

Enough with the technicalities. Enough is enough. It's not funny. Not cute. Not clever. It's obnoxious. Inane. Annoying.

At face value, the main fighter is the dog... after all, he's the one who has the stock icon :4duckhunt: and he's the one you have to KO, not the duck, not the NES Zapper player, not the gunmen...

The duck is just a weapon that happens to be sentient. The NES Zappper player is just there to give the dog's moves some oomph. The gunmen are nothing more than the dog's personal Assist Trophy.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
This again? So stupid...

When you select Duck Hunt, you aren't really playing as Duck Hunt Dog only... you are really playing as the dog, the duck, the NES Zapper player, the five Wild Gunmen, and the Hogan's Alley gang.

When you select Peach, you aren't really playing as Peach only... you are really playing as Peach AND Toad.

When you select Zelda, you aren't really playing as Zelda only... you are really playing as Zelda AND Phantom.

When you select Rosalina, you aren't really playing as Rosalina only... you are really playing as Rosalina AND Luma.

When you select Olimar, you aren't really playing as Olimar only... you are really playing as Olimar AND Red Pikmin, Blue Pikmin, Yellow Pikmin, Purple Pikmin, White Pikmin, and Winged Pikmin.

When you select King Dedede, you aren't really playing as King Dedede only... you are really playing as King Dedede AND Gordo.

When you select Robin, you aren't really playing as Robin only... you are really playing as Robin AND Chrom.

When you select Villager, you aren't really playing as Villager only... you are really playing as Villager and Lloid.

When you select Lucas, you aren't really playing as Lucas only... you are really playing as Lucas AND Rope Snake.

Enough with the technicalities. Enough is enough. It's not funny. Not cute. Not clever. It's obnoxious. Inane. Annoying.

At face value, the main fighter is the dog... after all, he's the one who has the stock icon :4duckhunt: and he's the one you have to KO, not the duck, not the NES Zapper player, not the gunmen...

The duck is just a weapon that happens to be sentient. The NES Zappper player is just there to give the dog's moves some oomph. The gunmen are nothing more than the dog's personal Assist Trophy.
Don't worry man we're just joking around on our favorite characters forum

poo-gas

Smash Cadet
NNID
loudgreenpanda
3DS FC
1006-0775-5283
I like Duck, Hunt. Duck is the dogs name and Hunt is the ducks name

PF9

Smash Lord
I use Duck Hunt Dog to refer to the dog specifically. The Dog, Duck, and Hunter (who happens to be Jimbo Kern) all operate independently outside of the arena in my fanfics.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
"Duck Hunt Duo" is the name given in PAL regions. It's probably not technically correct given that the video for them had the hunter as a separate entity, but it rolls a little better than 'dog' I'd say or the cut-off 'Duck Hunt' which is also the name for the game itself. :laugh:

It doesn't really matter though.

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
I prefer Duck Hunt instead of Duck Hunt Duo because the character plays with more than the dog and duck, but elements of the whole game

Top Bottom