• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dual Audio?

Niche

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
fueg#0
NNID
0hribbon
I've recently been trying to figure out how to listen to the in game sounds and listen to my own music at the same time through one headset. I was wondering what do I need to do this or if it's even possible? Thank you to all who respond.

Peff

Smash Cadet
TL;DR - Get a stereo mixer. Audio from TV & PC --> mixer --> headphones

I'm going to make an overly detailed post so that anyone who also might be interested in this (because it's friggin' nice to have it set up) can go through it. Some people just don't get these things as much, so I'll hold their hand a bit to help them.

You're going to need a stereo/audio mixer. Before you read my post, make sure your TV (because I'm assuming you're talking about your Wii U) has audio output jacks. If it doesn't, you won't be able to do it with your Wii U console. Also if you don't want/can't spend money on this (you'll need to spend about $50 for a mixer and a few bucks on wires if you don't already have them), again, you can stop reading now. One final issue is that you'll most likely need to power your mixer via USB, so if you want to listen to audio from your phone, you'll have to figure out how you'll be able to plug in your mixer for power.

I'm just going to use this mixer as an example:

Even comes with an EQ!

What you'll need to do is first get your TV hooked up to it. This depends on what kind of audio output jacks are on your TV. Mine have those red/white analog ones, so I use a cable like this

If your TV just has a 3.5mm output jack (typical headphone jack), for my example mixer (because I don't think any mixers have 3.5mm inputs...), you'll need one of these cables:

Just like the other one, but with a different jack on the one side.

Now that your TV is connected, you'll just have to get the sound from your computer. One thing that I'm not too certain about is whether or not the audio will travel via USB along with the power. If you don't want audio from your PC for music, then that won't matter for you, of course. Well, either way, it'll still work this way for any device. You'll just need another cable from above to plug into the second input on the mixer. The single jacked side will plug into the headphone port of whatever device you want to use and then the Red/White go into the mixer like before. I make it sound way more complex than it is. (I could have probably just said "you need a mixer" and posted a picture of one and you could have figured it out)

Now, you might be able to use a 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male cable (something you're more likely to have around the house), which you could plug from your phone to the microphone input on the mixer, but I'm not entirely sure if that will work, so don't bet on it.

Of course the final thing is to just plug in your headphones to the mixer. You'll be able to change the volumes (and EQ, maybe, depending on what mixer you have) of both the sounds from your game and your music so that one isn't too loud over the other. And uh... Yeah. That's it.

Top Bottom