• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dthrow vs uthrow?

Got4n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dalil50
Hello guys, I was wondering, wat is better at low %? I saw a lot of pros doing some u throw to dair to fair, but dthrow to utilt utilt utilt seems more safe, easier and deals more damage (and is uthrow dair fair a true combo?)
So if you could anwser me that would be good, thanks :D

Flamegeyser

Smash Journeyman
The problem with dthrow to utilt is that it can be DI'd, interrupted, or jumped out of until about 30%. I usually like to test people that don't seem good enough to do that by trying it once per new challenger, but it's pretty much not recommended.

Uthrow to dair to fair is a true combo, but it doesn't work on every character (the extreme lightweights and heavyweights, for example it won't work on Jiggly, but it will work on Sheik). The timing is a bit precise, but it leaves the opponent open to another mixup, and puts them at perfect dthrow utilt combo percentage if you can grab again. I might not be perfectly right, but someone else can confirm, yes?

Derkaa

Smash Rookie
NNID
Derkka
For mid-weight, heavies, and fast fallers, you cannot d-throw -> u-tilt untill after 15%, for many characters it needs to be even later percents, but u-throw -> d-air -> f-air works on the majority of these characters until 15% or so and even after these guaranteed / true combo percents this can still be strung together as a mix up for opponents expecting the d-throw -> u-tilt or d-throw -> u-air combos. The great thing is if you get the sweet spot on the f-air without fast falling, you can land with little lag and have a chance at a jab lock if they miss the tech.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Always use up throw at 0%. Down throw to up tilt isn't safe on heavies and fast fallers, doesn't do a lot of damage, is predictable, and anyone with a frame 5+ move can hit you out of it. Down throw doesn't get good till mid percents.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
On mid/fast fallers uthrow until around 10%

On floaties, fthrow > rar bair at 0% (and only 0%) Fthrow > Dair around 5-10% and then start going for dthrow > utilt chains.

Zanarkan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zanarkan28
Yeah I almost always do up throw at 0... Up throw into Dair is true from what I can tell, I have never had it miss for me. The Fair afterwards isn't though. Depending on how they DI and what angle your trajectory is they may end up behind you in the air instead of in front of you. If this happens you can double jump back air them and this often combos into itself depending on exact percent and character weight. Other than 0% I generally think down throw into up tilts is the better, more reliable option but there are situations where the up throw into down air stuff can work.

Hope this helps!

Top Bottom