• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Dthrow Stage Spike on Japes (and sort of YI but not really)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xadrin

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1332-8158-7739
A friend and I found out about this earlier during online friendlies. On any of the edges of Jungle Japes, Falco can dthrow stage spike certain characters: Bowser Jr., Link, Ganondorf, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, and Captain Falcon. It CAN be teched, but it's useful as a practically guaranteed kill against anyone who doesn't expect it. Perhaps something to keep in mind when Japes is actually legal.

Something similar happens on Yoshi's Island against every aforementioned character except ZSS. They just bounce off the stage rather than get stage spiked. Definitely not as useful, but hey, maybe somebody could do some good stuff with it as a mix-up.

Edit: Now on to the Wii U version...
Dthrow makes Falcon (no other character, unfortunately) bounce off of any edge in the game. This can lead into follow-ups.

As for something utterly useless as far as I know, dthrow can make certain characters on SV land right in front of Falco. So it can be teched. It only works at VERY low percents, so you might as well just use a normal dthrow for follow-ups.

Last edited:

Xadrin

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1332-8158-7739
Updated the OP with some similar findings for the Wii U version. More useful than what happens on the 3DS version, but it only works on one character.

KoeBigS8

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3153-6012-6209
So I was just screwing around in the lab and found out on FD if your close to the ledge looking away from it and dthrow Falcon it'll stage spike him which follows into an easy FAir. It's really easy to do and making a video for this would be appreciated.

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, this was confirmed to work on Omega Ferox as well, I found out online before the Wii U version come out.
I let the guy come back on stage though. I seems more to be a glitch, this is one of the few things I would actually like to get patched out.

Ometa

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4167-5056-0993
Messin around with Falco in training mode, I managed to stagespike and kill Falcon at around 100% everytime by rolling toward the edge, and dthrowing him. It works similar to Zelda's dthrow stagespike in brawl. Now for the good and the bad...

THE BAD
  • This works on only two characters, Falcon and Samus, and only Falcon gets the shorter end of the stick. It works on Samus until 48% and while it is possible to net a kill off the forced linear recovery path, it's not guaranteed.
  • The stagespike is kinda difficult to set up, considering you have to be at the very edge of the stage for this to work. (Ledge mixups maybe?)
  • Also, this probably only works on lipped stages (I tested this on Battlefield so it's safe to assume)

THE GOOD
  • The stagespike works on Falcon all the way up until the mid 140s and kills at around 100%

So ye, the bad outweighs the good... What do you think? Useful or no?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
This is the third time it's been "found". I think this has been a thing since Melee, but SSB4 has it where other characters can do it too; I know Sheik can D-throw ledge spike. It's not particularly useful, but it's something to be aware.

Xadrin and Cyro made this thread on it: http://smashboards.com/threads/dthrow-stage-spike-on-japes-and-sort-of-yi-but-not-really.377018/.

And KoeBigS8 was the first to bring it up again: http://smashboards.com/threads/new-tech-vs-falcon.382128/.

I also listed this in the directory. It's listed under "Other Stuff": http://smashboards.com/threads/all-aircraft-report-falco-directory.398704/.

Er... Double post and merge posts along with merging the 3 threads on this one tech/glitch. :p

This part, you guys probably didn't know about.
@Trieste SP @ Ffamran Ffamran I found some weird Falco stuff with his Dthrow on Smashville but IDK if you Falco people have found this out already. Basically if you Dthrow certain characters when you're at the edge of the stage, your Dthrow will act like Melee Falco's Dthrow and immediately ground them. You can then do 3 Ftilt jab locks and finish with a Usmash for a free 50%. F = Falco, O = Opponent

__________O F
____________/

Basically what it has to look like for this to happen. Only tested Smashville so far with all characters but basically it works only on these characters. Also works on BOTH sides of the stage.

:4pit::4darkpit:(0%, 1%)
:4link: (0%, 1%, 2%)
:4samus: (0-7%)
This part, you guys probably know about.
Considering the percentage requirements this probably isn't practical in the slightest but something to keep in mind if you want a free 50%. But one character is particularly weird. At ANY percentage, Dthrowing :4falcon: in the specified position makes him bounce off the slanted part of the stage and moves in the opposite direction of what Dthrow should put them (ie up right instead of up left as shown on the diagram). Works on Smashville and T&C. This can probably be used as a surprise way to catch him going the unexpected trajectory to gimp him with Bair and Fair. Since it works on all percentages on him, and gimping Falcon isn't really something unheard of, I think this might be decently useful. I'll try experimenting on other stages and characters maybe with this.

Last edited:

MadCanard

Smash Apprentice
Was in the lab with Falco and discovered if I down throw Ganondorf, while I am standing on the edge of the stage, he doesn't bounce up in front of you like normal. He just flops in front of you, as if he missed a tech. This can lead to lots of follow ups such as this simple 0-50% jab lock combo.

https://vine.co/v/eHxOX5hezgU

But this little trick comes with a whole lot of stipulations. (Hopefully I'm wrong and this can be useful.)

1.) I could only get it to work on Sazaku Castle (Omega), Battlefield, Smashville, and Lylat Cruise. It did not work on FD, Town and City, Halbard, Duck Hunt, Delfino, Mii Verse or Castle Siege. I didn't test it on any others.

2.) I had to be directly on the edge.

3.) It only worked on Ganondorf until 66% and he could only be jab locked if I grabbed him at 0%.

4.) The "flop" effect may only work with Ganondorf. I only tested it with Bowser, Sheik, Luigi, and MK and it did not effect them the same way. Instead of flopping in front of me they flew up and away in the normal fashion, BUT I was able to combo into a jab at higher percentages than normal. So either it reduced the knock back of down throw or it let me react faster out of down throw.

Need your help here Falco mains. I haven't done too much testing with this. What exactly is happening?

Last edited:

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
There is a similar thing with against falcon when dthrowing facing the ledge, but I never tested on other characters.

It might be worth testing the rest of the cast in both scenarios.

Does it also work on platforms? Maybe it interacts differently on moving platforms?

These are things we need to know, espc if we can do this against good characters.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
This is the 5th, 6th, or 20th time someone discovered this... There's even a video about it with Samus bouncing in front of Falco instead of going through the usual D-throw stuff. It's like a situational Melee Fox D-throw...

MadCanard

Smash Apprentice
This is the 5th, 6th, or 20th time someone discovered this... There's even a video about it with Samus bouncing in front of Falco instead of going through the usual D-throw stuff. It's like a situational Melee Fox D-throw...
Thanks for joining the threads. I couldn't find it.

This is just more than a DThrow spike that only works on some characters though. On possibly all characters this effects either their knock back or Falco's frame data coming out of DThrow. This means you can combo characters at higher percentages than if you DThrow them anywhere else on stage.

As for the spike element let's try to compile the info. (Based on posts in this thread)

Grounds or Spikes Characters:
:4samus: Spikes (0%-116%)
:4falcon:Spikes (0%-136%)
:4link:Grounds (0%-32%)
:4ganondorf:Grounds (0%-66%) Inconsistant

Works on stages:
Smashville
Town & City
Battlefield
Llyat Cruise (left side)
Suzaku Castle
Jungle Japes
Yoshi's Island
Halbard (bow of the ship)
MiiVerse (?)

Last edited:

MadCanard

Smash Apprentice
Went back to the lab a little bit on this. Down Throwing on the edge effects every character. In the video below you can see that a regular down throw on Sheik does 5% damage. A down throw on the edge does 3%. This opens up more DThrow combos at higher percentages since it does less knock back. (About half a wood plank difference on Suzuka Castle) In the video you can see that I can't follow up DThrow with a jab on Sheik at 11%, but if I DThrow him on the edge I can follow up at 21%.

Sorry this isn't an edited video tutorial.

Samus, Falcon, Link, Ganondorf and maybe others are the exception.

Last edited:

McDareth

Smash Apprentice
NNID
McDareth
Oh, I didn't know there was a thread already on this. I'm putting together a video on this with setups on Falcon. Had to stop on it fro the weekend though as I went to Smashcon.

MadCanard

Smash Apprentice
Oh, I didn't know there was a thread already on this. I'm putting together a video on this with setups on Falcon. Had to stop on it fro the weekend though as I went to Smashcon.
Haha! As I'm sure you saw reading thru the thread, most of us had no idea there was already a thread on this.

I look forward to seeing the video.

McDareth

Smash Apprentice
NNID
McDareth
Alright, I finally finished that video but it took a lot longer then I had originally thought that it would. lol

I can confirm that the setup also works on ZSS the whole extent I don't know but in a doubles set one Fsmashed my shield and I went for Down Throw OoS to punish it and she was grounded like Link/Ganon at 65% I believe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom