• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dsmash use?

Ash23

Smash Rookie
NNID
Asherraf
How are you guys (if you guys are) incorporating down smash into your game? Ive been trying to find ways to use it but it just never seems like a better option than up b, for me. Dsmash does about 16 damage uncharged, with it being so similar to up b i feel like there has got to be a use for it lol. There has got to be certain situations that it could be used over up b. Any way you guys differentiate between using them two? Any tippers?

Pikachutobal

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3797-8141-2794
I use the Bowser's Dsmash when I predict the enemy Roll
Although the Upb is useful to ward off your enemy when you're using your shield (Because the attack is very fast and allows you to escape sideways)
My recommendation is that you use the Upb to escape when you're using your shield (Use the grab is a good idea too)

Last edited:

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
When I use down smash, it's usually for ledge traps, or ledge wake-up punishes but it can also be used against rolls. While it does have some similarities to Up b, it helps to keep in mind that the hitbox is better unless you're looking at the last hit of fortress. It has the same range as Brawl Down smash pretty much, but instead of the shell being then entire hitbox, there are significant disjoints on either side which can protect Bowser, and make the attack pretty much impossible to challenge without a proper disjoint or from certain angles.

When using it in ledge traps, it's normally following a ledge trump because it hits the ledge and will punish them for grabbing it, some characters also can't jump over it and will land in it. It can also win against ledge get-up options depending on the character, for instance, if spaced properly, it should beat any standard ledge option that Marth can use, and it'll also beat ledge hop attacks that attempt to jump directly onto the stage. You could also try to go for frame 1 ledge shenanigans on certain characters, which can lead to a stage spike if they get pulled in just right.

Despite it's drawbacks, I still like Dsmash, and want to find practical uses for it as well, so I'll keep looking.

Ash23

Smash Rookie
NNID
Asherraf
When I use down smash, it's usually for ledge traps, or ledge wake-up punishes but it can also be used against rolls. While it does have some similarities to Up b, it helps to keep in mind that the hitbox is better unless you're looking at the last hit of fortress. It has the same range as Brawl Down smash pretty much, but instead of the shell being then entire hitbox, there are significant disjoints on either side which can protect Bowser, and make the attack pretty much impossible to challenge without a proper disjoint or from certain angles.

When using it in ledge traps, it's normally following a ledge trump because it hits the ledge and will punish them for grabbing it, some characters also can't jump over it and will land in it. It can also win against ledge get-up options depending on the character, for instance, if spaced properly, it should beat any standard ledge option that Marth can use, and it'll also beat ledge hop attacks that attempt to jump directly onto the stage. You could also try to go for frame 1 ledge shenanigans on certain characters, which can lead to a stage spike if they get pulled in just right.

Despite it's drawbacks, I still like Dsmash, and want to find practical uses for it as well, so I'll keep looking.
very helpful dude, i never thought of it as a ledge trump option when they regrab ledge. good stuf

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
I've been fighting a few opponents that love to drift back and grab the ledge, but their off-stage options are such that I don't want to leap out and challenge them. DSmash can be used to catch opponents that think they can drift away and then towards the ledge safely. Even if they think they can air dodge past it, it'll still hit them as soon as the air dodge ends. Very potent answer and requires less strict timing than a dash grab or dash attack at the ledge.

Last edited:

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I only use it to catch occasional airdodges and sometimes after a Fortress trip if I think my opponent will roll into me.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
The limited range and sizable ending lag always crippled that move for me in terms of use. It's outclassed by a lot of Bowser's other moves.

XOSugar

Smash Cadet
I primarily use it to predict rolls. Mainly Jiggly's trying to sleep on me. I never thought of edge guarding with it. I usually Bowser bomb to steal ledge and then bair.

Corgian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Corgian
3DS FC
2079-7941-6787
Hard reads at ledge is when I use it most. It gets kills as well, which is very nice. If people do a landing airdodge, it's fantastic. It's got an impressive disjoint, but it does have a lot of ending lag, as has already been mentioned. It's one of the moves that you won't use often, but is good when you use it semi-occassionally. Most of the time you'll find Whirling Fortress to be your better option though.

Top Bottom