• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

dsmash setups?

Ghetto Blush

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone have any hit confirm setups for this move? I've found that I generally avoid using it due to its incredibly high ending lag, but I'm starting to think it should be more incorporated into Roy's gameplay.

There have been times where instead of dtilt, I accidentally dsmash instead and it actually works out in my favor. Dsmash is a few frames faster than dtilt iirc and it can most likely combo out of a lot of moves; since it is pretty much Roy's only vertical kill move, I think setups should be explored. The only problem I see is that any setup probably only works at lower percents, where dsmash wouldn't kill anyways but even so I think being able to effectively use a 4(?) frame move is pretty important.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
its actually frame 6. and idk i dont think this is the kind of move you want to try to set up into. if you can set up into this move, you might as well fsmash. its more of a panic option, or someting to use out of CC if youre at a lower percent. i suppose you could always use the dair sweetspot to set up into it, or even tipped uair if you really want.

Ghetto Blush

Smash Apprentice
You're going to want dsmash over fsmash against a lot of floaties like Peach (who is a lot better in 3.5), which is why I think the move is useful.

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
...since it is pretty much Roy's only vertical kill move...
Along with up-throw, u-smash (DACUS for maximum effectiveness), and DED xxx^. But those aren't quite as effective as d-smash.
You're going to want dsmash over fsmash against a lot of floaties like Peach (who is a lot better in 3.5), which is why I think the move is useful.
The funny thing is that it's really hard to combo the characters that are hit the hardest by it into it. So sometimes you just have to throw it out and hope it hits. Though I have found that it's really nice on platforms since it covers most of the tech options.

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
Along with up-throw, u-smash (DACUS for maximum effectiveness), and DED xxx^. But those aren't quite as effective as d-smash.

The funny thing is that it's really hard to combo the characters that are hit the hardest by it into it. So sometimes you just have to throw it out and hope it hits. Though I have found that it's really nice on platforms since it covers most of the tech options.
And then uthrow only at really high percents where they'd probably be killed by an fsmash or bair or Flare Blade anyway.

And you can combo those characters, but not into the moves that kill them, at the percentages where those moves would kill them. Low, maybe mid percents, falling uair -> dsmash probably works really well against floaties... but they'll probably be able to punish you for it because the lag is so big.

At the percents that matter, I don't think there are really any great setups for it. You kind of have to rely on reads and techchases, or exploiting sloppy play. I guess you could also condition them to fake them out - get them used to DED xxxx and then only use the first hit -> WD in -> dsmash. But that relies on getting the first hit and effectively faking them out.

BBOY15

Smash Apprentice
At the risk of sounding stupid: I know this isn't a confirmed hit or anything, but if you jab then immediately Dsmash afterwards, the opponent could get nailed if they rush in and try to punish you.

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
At the risk of sounding stupid: I know this isn't a confirmed hit or anything, but if you jab then immediately Dsmash afterwards, the opponent could get nailed if they rush in and try to punish you.
That's not a setup at all, though, that's a punish. Out of a jab it's probably better to just dtilt or grab them or something instead of going for an extremely laggy unreliable read.

Foo

Smash Lord
At lowish %s, this combo seems to work on most characters. If you are are upair juggling, but they are too low % and are going to hit the ground, you can upair>downair>downair>downsmash. The downsmash will pop them up, and, while you won't be able to combo out of it, it will set you up with stage control and put them in the air.

Oh, also, ledgedash downsmash works pretty well since dsmash is frame 6. It also is generally safe-ish on shield because of sliding. I haven't done it, but I see sethlon do it occasionally.

Last edited:

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
In 3.02 I used to dair near the ground and immediately catch them with dsmash to launch them up. Can't do that reliably anymore. I basically use it to smack rollers nowadays; it's only a moderately decent OoS move due to its minimal startup time and decent KO potential.

Last edited:

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I like Dsmash, to the point I probably over use it. It is a legit kill move vs floaties. To set it up, covers a few options during techchases. CC dsmash is solid. Vs non floaties the tip sends at a solid angle.

Top Bottom