• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Drop] Canceling

Tainted ZGS

Smash Rookie
Hey all, Tainted here

So I'm not sure if it's already been discussed in this Forum which it probably has (can't find it, also a ton of threads), but can I discuss something about platforms and lcanceling I'm starting to see with aerials when I experiment with it. So usually it happens with Bair but I've been able to get it with Dair and I think Nair. What happens is you do a falling aerial and if you Lcancel early enough you will stay on the platform, so in reality you just did a standing aerial. It seems to me it happens more often when the aerial hits your opponent but I've done it without hitting them before.

I also would like to know how this works, (Note I do not have 20xx yet so I can't look at a lot of the frame data and such others can), but what it seems like is happening is, you still have part of your hitbox for the aerial above the platform when you Lcancel, and this causes you to Lcancel onto the platform. (I doubt I'm 100% right if I'm right at all, just what it seems like)

Also, I want to know if anyone else can provide expertise on this, if there is any type of combo game or followups with these options, if this is something that would say break the game into becoming the prophecy of "Don't get hit" if mastered with accuracy. Although this seems incredibly hard to do, I'm sure mastering it could happen overtime.
I've seen this once or twice before in high level tournament play but the commentators ignored it or were too busy and didn't see it. The players even acted normal. If someone can help provide incite on this, that would be much appreciated.

-Thanks, Tainted

Last edited:

AirFair

Marth tho
I don't know if it's the L cancelling that's keeping you on the platform, and I think that's called a drop cancel. When you drop through and your aerial connects before 10 frames or something like that, you stay on the platform. I'm probably wrong framewise, but it has something to do with your ECB.

Tainted ZGS

Smash Rookie
I don't know if it's the L cancelling that's keeping you on the platform, and I think that's called a drop cancel. When you drop through and your aerial connects before 10 frames or something like that, you stay on the platform. I'm probably wrong framewise, but it has something to do with your ECB.
I had no honest idea what to call it haha, cuz I know about platform cancels where you cancel ending lags on side of the platforms but I just had NO IDEA

AirFair

Marth tho
Falco's do this most often with bair. You have to be precise, or you are going to dtilt on the platform and get punished.

Tainted ZGS

Smash Rookie
Hmm interesting, well tbh I haven't really tried to do it with nair much at all so that would explain why I've never encountered that problem. I'm sure you could master it at some point though, if you do it'd be a fear to reckon.

Top Bottom