• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Drifting too much when shffl after dash?

comics

Smash Cadet
When I'm running and I want to do an aerial, I can't control it properly and seem to fly across the stage uncontrollably.
I figured out if I press down after running before my shffl I can control myself. Am I doing something wrong?

P.s. I'm no Falcon main, I've only played Falco, but I wanna learn him a little for fun. Thanks guys.

Coyle

Smash Cadet
You're carrying momentum in that direction before you jump. When in your dash state, if you tap the stick back before you jump you'll cancel this forward momentum. Depending on your timing, you can jump straight up in the air with no forward movement, or even pivot the aerial. If you're in the run state (out of your dash-dance range) then you can't do this. You'd have to either hold crouch to cancel the run, wavedash in place, or just drift when in the air using the analog stick.

Related jumping physics:
On the final (4th) frame of jump-squat Falcon's analog stick's position is read (Falco has 5 frames of jump-squat, so it'd be frame 5 for him). The farther left/right that your stick is on this frame, the farther you will jump in that direction. Additionally, while you're in the air your analog stick is read for drift. For your aerials, drift doesn't have as much of an influence on your hitbox placement than the final frame of jump-squat does. Note however that it does greatly influence your final landing position if you max drift the entire time you're airborne.
See this post for a visualization and pretty colors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom