• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dreamland vs Hyrule as default stage?

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Dreamland and Hyrule are the generally accepted neutral stages. But between them which is the better, more generally fair stage?

It seems like most people like hyrule.I prefer dreamland, although I am obviously biased by my main character (falcon) and my familiarity with the stage.

Flaws of Hyrule (or at least how it seems to me):

-it's a campsite. Pitch a tent on either of the two ends of the stage and if they want to initiate battle, they'll have to attack from a disadvantage.
-The green box of death, or whatever you want to call it (I personally call it the combo shack >__>): makes for a stupid melee of bouncing off walls and stuff. It may interest you that I also dislike pokemon stadium in melee... so this one's probably just my personal bias.
-Tornadoes! Sometimes fun, especially when there are tornado combos (or like in nephiros'
video, where the jiggly rests someone in the air ^__^.... but.... most often really, really annoying, especially when you can't see it cause its off the screen but you run into it, or it prevents you from getting to the edge for an edgeguard.
-Obstructed view on the ledges and in the green box house cottage thing.

Flaws of dreamland (as near as I can make out):

-Sometimes allows for ghey throw > edgeguard gameplay, however you can avoid this with careful play. Anyways, in hyrule it would happen too if they camp at the edges.
-WIND.... screws you up. You can get used to it, though, unlike tornadoes.
-It seems pretty lame if you're vsing a falcon sometimes...

Any thoughts on this issue? I've always wondered why most people prefer hyrule.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Hyrule and dreamland has there up's and downs. But i think the most default is dreamland due to there even platforms and flat land and stuff. Only bad thing is the wind

But hyrule has a flat area that makes it like final destination. But the downside is its got all kinds of other crap. But...

Go with hyrule

greenblob

Smash Lord
I consider Battlefield to be more or less neutral and I prefer it over either one.

I'd go with Hyrule just because of the diversity. There's the flat area to the left, platforms in the middle, and some random thing to the right (which I don't like that much, but w/e). Dreamland is basically a flat area with platforms covering it.

Umbrasquall

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sick of Dreamland right now (or Pupupu land as they call it) since Japanese people seem to refuse to play anything else.

I do think that Hyrule is more of a fair stage though, because it doesn't really extremely favor any character. Dreamland with it's small stage and large edges tends to favor better jumpers.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
I'm pretty sick of Dreamland right now (or Pupupu land as they call it) since Japanese people seem to refuse to play anything else.

I do think that Hyrule is more of a fair stage though, because it doesn't really extremely favor any character. Dreamland with it's small stage and large edges tends to favor better jumpers.
By the same token of dreamland favoring people with good recovery, hyrule favors those with vertical killing moves... (cough fox)... and lasers... and yeah, the japanese are like, uber conservative about stages. In melee they only play final destination and dreamland 64. I think that says something about dreamland's neutrality :chuckle:

mask man

Smash Cadet
i think most poeple play dreramland becouse its small and great for capt c and kirby and poeple get used to small stages.
but some are used to big stages,like me.
i HATE dreamland becouse its so small...
in hyrule if you have high damage and your hit theres a better chances of landing on the stage,but in dreamland its probly going to send you back and i suck at getting back to the stage when someones edgeguarding.

as for wind and tornado hazards...wind doesnt bother me.tornados dont bother me too much.infact i like tornados...you never know when they apear and stuff and it can lead to some funny ****

Zantetsu

Smash Master
I consider Battlefield to be more or less neutral and I prefer it over either one.

I'd go with Hyrule just because of the diversity. There's the flat area to the left, platforms in the middle, and some random thing to the right (which I don't like that much, but w/e). Dreamland is basically a flat area with platforms covering it.
I think battlefield is one of the worst. Its to small. You can do anything on it!

Heres my oppinion on stages to use and not to use

Use
---
Peaches castle
Kongo jungle
Sector Z w/ no air wings (Only for friendlies. Not for random matches or tourny matches)
Hyrule
Dreamland
(Not in order)

Bad
---
Everything else

mask man

Smash Cadet
hey what you got against mushroom kingdom?
its great!
also on the jiggly comment...i say thats a good thing cuss i dont use him.lol

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Hyrule is fine as a neutral stage unless you are facing Fox, in which case it becomes a free counterpick for him >_>

People argue that the stage favors DK heavily too but as long as you just don't go into the combo hole he can't pull off his stuff.

imo Dreamland is the perfect neutral stage. Link dies really easily there but his power moves also KO a lot faster, and a good Link should be able to combo into those and not get thrown off.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Well nintendude, if the DK just sits there...you can't really do anything except either go in and get chainthrown or just...sit there and watch him sit there. Which is totally what happens in most of my DK games...bleh.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
hey what you got against mushroom kingdom?
its great!
also on the jiggly comment...i say thats a good thing cuss i dont use him.lol
Are you serious? Mushroom kingdom!? That stage has everything wrong with it!

Its to packed with platforms and crap that it dosent have any flat land that you could combo on. You most likely kill them from the side which is stupid.. Its got 3 arena effects. You can teleport and chicken out. Its just stupid!

Box_of_Fox

Smash Journeyman
Dreamland is my fav. Its small, the platforms are for decent but not abusive comboing, its symmterical and flat. The wind is a sporadic disadvantage, nothing major.

I can understand why people despise it though-- it is Edgeguardland in one sense or another.

epidiOn

Smash Cadet
Winston, you have made me despise Dreamland. Besides Kongo Jungle, I'd rather play any other stage above Dreamland.

My problem with Dreamland is that I'm a Pikachu who focuses a lot on fair and other aerials, but I can't short hop, so I get stuck landing on the platforms when I want to attack someone below them.

_kSo_

Smash Master
dreamland is fairer
false. Dreamland gives unfair advantage to characters like falcon, kirby, and pikachu. the size of the stage as well as the combo abilities create a huge advantage to those three characters on this stage. falcon vs fox on dreamland literally gives falcon an extra 2 stock advantage.

hyrule castle does not give unfair advantages, however you may try to argue by saying the right side with the tower gives unfair advantages. False. There is nothing "unfair" about the tower as it gives combo ablilty to every character. given, it's different for everyone, but everyone can make use of this tower

cmasterchoe

Smash Journeyman
When i mess around with my friends, i like to have cloud battles. Basically its two ppl on one cloud, and you have to fight without making it disappear (constant jumping). Or we play at the (H) on poke stadium. Its fun, but fairly stupid.

Also, if you are an insane jiggly and have the sleep combo's down. You could z2d with his dair to utlit to sleep.

_kSo_

Smash Master
falcon dittos on dreamland are like I swear 30 seconds long lol
haha so true. when i had the match videos of me vs m3gav01t i think the matches on dreamland were like half as long as the ones on hyrule. the same usually goes for falcon vs any heavy character, or pika vs any light character

bjdavis420

Smash Journeyman
Personally, i am more of a fan of Dreamland, but yeah, its because it definetly favors CF. My biggest problem with Hyrule is the tornados on the second platform. Those bastar** will kill nearly anyone in the game if above 55 damage, and I always love it when DK jumps up and plops you right in one of those guys. If it wasnt for the second level tornados, Hyrule would be my favorite.

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
boom we should do dreamland falcon dittos, see if we can get any 5 stock matches in under a minute. I'll time them! :estatic:

_kSo_

Smash Master
You have a point. The edges of hyrule where the different level floors are located are prime camping areas for kirby players. you can be ridiculously annoying in that area and cause the opponent to get tired of your insolence and call you a turtler. but whatever lol if your not kirby you shouldnt turtle anyway

Top Bottom