• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DownThrowSpike (Meteor Smash) Frame Data/Practice Techniques?

Is Meteor Smash Practical in Competitive Games?

• Total voters

sembialo

Smash Rookie
Is it practical to learn how to meteor smash to perfection? Serious question, maybe it can open up new doors in the way fox is played? Any frame data or information to practice this move you guys can provide this thread with will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I'll also put a poll just to see how one sided or split the opinions on this is. Again, try to be open minded or explain in detail why you believe/don't believe it is a good move to use in competitive play.

This is for melee just making sure.:pow::pow::pow:

MagicScrumpy

Smash Journeyman
If it were a consistent and viable thing with good results, then Fox players would probably be using it by now. It's probably situational at best because it's meteor cancelable and sometimes even techable if they DI properly and if you space it incorrectly.

I would be more than happy to go into the TAS lab either later today or tomorrow and get some more specifics, but it probably isn't really that good at all.

Last edited:

sembialo

Smash Rookie
If it were a consistent and viable thing with good results, then Fox players would probably be using it by now. It's probably situational at best because it's meteor cancelable and sometimes even techable if they DI properly and if you space it incorrectly.

I would be more than happy to go into the TAS lab and get some more specifics, but it probably isn't really that good at all.
Whenever you get the chance could you post those specifics on this thread? Thanks for the response, I completely agree with your view, i'm just messing around with some thoughts i've had about fox. Again, any data is helpful.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
Is it practical to learn how to meteor smash to perfection? Serious question, maybe it can open up new doors in the way fox is played? Any frame data or information to practice this move you guys can provide this thread with will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
No frame data needed for this one, it's pretty straightforward (and btw you can always tech d throw, the only meteor smash fox has so I assume that's what we're talking about).

There is no such thing as or an idea of a perfect meteor smash. Meteor smashes are always meteor cancelable (assuming you're in the air). So if you can see it coming you can just jump, push up, up B, push L or R and cancel the "spike". They're basically just a worse version of a spike.

Fox's d throw is pretty much useless except vs characters that you can't up throw combo at high percent. Sometimes it's worth it to try to tech chase them. (But at the same time you can often go for b throw DI mixups)

Attempting to meteor smash someone with it just isn't that good because you have plentyyyyyyy of time to react to it. Fox has good gimp potential off f throw and u throw combos. So why use this?

It can be okay in high pressure situations cause sometimes people will panic and mess up but that's only going to happen like 10% of the time, if that. Once you know the trick and you're not panicking the meteor property is pretty much useless. If you d throw me near the ledge I think "lol, sweet"

Last edited:

SuperShus

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
East#694
if you get a grab by the edge and you can't kill them with u throw then just f/b throw them offstage and shine them cuz downb is a lot better than down throw lol

Arctic_

Smash Rookie
i like to hold them by the ledge and like pummel a few times and they get ready to di the upthrow and i go dumpster them but usually just upthrow dude even against floaties you cant get guarenteed **** on the fact that you're fox and they are stuck in the air means your basically setting up a good situation.

Top Bottom