• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Down Tilt -> Grab

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
Speaking with as much experience as someone who doesn't actually own a Wii-U but mooches off a friend's frequently and goes to local tourneys as often as possible could expound, I believe at the moment one of the biggest things a Lucas player can do to make themselves more deadly is to master the d-tilt -> grab. While it is universally agreed that Lucas, despite having probably the most tantalizing rewards out of a throws, has a pretty bad grab (Rope Snake you've failed us again), some of the inherent risk can be alleviated by d-tilting first.

The logic is simple enough: d-tilt has a 3 frame start up, and when it successfully connects with one of the closer hitboxes, leads safely into a grab (among other things like f-tilt, jab, maybe even f-smash). If the opponent shields the d-tilt, the minute shield stun and a fast input from you gives you a pretty good chance to still get the grab. If the opponent is exceptionally close to you, it is possible to do two or three d-tilts in a row and still be able to lead into the grab, which can be somewhat helpful if they manage to perfect shield the first hit. If the opponent spot-dodges, the follow up grab will connect.

There are quirks, of course. It only works when connecting with the hitbox(es?) close to Lucas, not the one at the tip of his foot (I cannot confirm this with absolute certainty, JosePollo probably could). This, incidentally, is also the range that most of the non-tether cast's grab lies in. Shielding the d-tilt hit, especially if perfect shielded, still gives the other character a tiny window to perform a move to escape or even punish Lucas, perhaps a counter grab if their grab range is long enough, or an exceptionally fast move like a jab or even a KO move like Shoryuken. But the window for that is truly small, so unless your d-tilt to grab option is very telegraphed, it is still safe and viable to go for it without fear, not many of the cast have moves fast enough to throw out right after shield to deter your incoming grab aside from weak ground attacks. Rolling from the attack (specifically rolling behind Lucas) presents the biggest possible problem, and is also where having a fast reaction time benefits the most. If you manage process the roll fast enough, you can stop yourself from automatically throwing out the grab afterward.

It is also not a suitable replacement for dash grabbing or pivot grabbing. At all. It only works and is specifically deadly when boxing at close range, maybe even as an out-of-shield option, where a laggy tether is not reliable enough. D-tilt to grab only works at this specific interval, and it does it well, giving Lucas a fast grab option when he most needs it, at close range.

But the biggest, biggest hurdle for incorporating this into regular play, is the mental wall. D-tilt to grab is nowhere near as natural an input as a throwing out a grab. Every opportunity to grab is a premeditated action, from getting to in range and spacing correctly for a successful d-tilt to the immediate grab follow up, to knowing the perplexing possible punishes and making sure to react fast enough should the d-tilt fail. Keep in mind that this is not a complete replacement for regular grab, and the after-lag of tethers still work here. It becomes even more challenging when differentiating between planning for a d-tilt grab or going for a straight grab. As short as Lucas' tether is, there are still times when it offers an advantage, like catching landing opponents, or when d-tilt simply isn't an option, like pivot grabbing. It will take effort to ingrain this option into your play, but it is also important to not give up on it if it seems too difficult to master at first. It is a reliable and proven Lucas tech that will help immensely in situations that require it.

From how I see the character to be designed, I don't see Lucas' grab being significantly changed in any upcoming patches, so it is important to find ways to make with what we have, especially since Lucas probably has the most useful throw set, like, in existence. It took a long time for me to ingrain the specific options of grabbing in my head, limiting myself to only try for a grab when the opponent specifically falls under certain situations. Much better than throwing the Rope Snake out there and fishing for it. D-tilt to grab. Try it out.

Tell me what you think. I'd love more advice on this myself.

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
I've started using perfect pivot and PP into d-tilt is really nice. If they overcommit and whiff they get punished with d-tilt and than you can grab them if the percentage is correct. If they don't then you whiffed D-tilt which isn't punishable.

k-ta

Smash Cadet
NNID
shadowkyo
3DS FC
5284-1414-9946
I feel like d-tilt is Lucas' most overlooked move, despite its relative safety and its combo potential. Although, I feel like d-tilts in general are underused in Smash.

Regardless, throwing out d-tilt instead of grab is definitely something people should learn to do with Lucas, since it's only one extra step and it's so much safer than throwing out any of his grabs.

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
I've been working on incorporating down tilt into my game and find that substituting down tilt in any situation where you would jab gives you better results than going straight into a jab, as jabbing kind of locks you into jab combo due to the individual hits being harder to interrupt (IASA frame 20) than down tilt (IASA frame 16) which makes them less safe when used on a shield.

Also, once you hit an opponent with down tilt you can repeatedly just tap A until you decide to grab, at which point you input shield to buffer a grab. It's important to press shield (R, in my case) rather than grab (Z) because inputting grab seems to buffer another down tilt or jab (if you stop holding down).

I haven't checked to see how well a tipped down tilt leads into grab, but I can imagine the window for the opponent to react is fairly large because that specific hitbox has very little knockback and doesn't lift the opponent off of the ground, which means they can shield/dodge as soon as hitstun wears off. The best thing about jab/down tilt for Lucas is that they pop the opponent off of the ground, which puts them in a position where they have to wait to touch the ground before the can shield or risk air dodging and eating a bigger punish when they land. Their only option out of his down tilt, specifically, is to SDI up and away and try to mash out a jump.

EDIT: I'm a filthy liar. Grab (Z) still inputs a grab off of a d-tilt, so you can use whichever button you feel comfortable to get the buffered grab out of d-tilt. Also, yeah, at the percentages where you could have enough hitstun to follow up with a grab which is like (300%+) the opponent slides waaaaaay to far away to be grabbed.

Last edited:

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
I have actually been using a lot of d tilt into my lucas game in the past month or so and the results were tremendous, it may feel unnatural at first but it becomes so useful and amazing. It sends the opponent nowhere so there is the free grab! I do a lot of d tilt set ups on anthers and they work. Actually last season on the ladder I was gold 3 using mainly Ness and Lucas. Trust me d tilt works on non brain dead opponents. Its genuinely a move everyone has to use more. Im so happy its being recognised ;)

GooberGaming

Smash Apprentice
D-tilt to grab works really well at early percents, it's just a matter of being able to connect the D-tilt properly so that you won't whiff on the grab.

I have also chaining D-tilt to F-Smash has worked for me as well. At high precents it is avoidable but, as a mix-up it can get you a kill.

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
D-tilt to grab works really well at early percents, it's just a matter of being able to connect the D-tilt properly so that you won't whiff on the grab.

I have also chaining D-tilt to F-Smash has worked for me as well. At high precents it is avoidable but, as a mix-up it can get you a kill.
If you can get the down tilt to put them over the edge of the stage (like say you predict a neutral get-up from the ledge) it's actually really easy to land the f-smash, which will kill at like 60% or lower depending on whether you hit the tipper or not. The opponent's only real option is to air dodge, which will still put them in an unfavorable situation as it will make their recovery linear (straight up) at which point you can do a drop-zone back air to get a meteor or a stage spike.

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
Thinking more about this, Lucas' d-tilt to grab is like a more convoluted, more inefficient version of a lot of weak hit to KO move setups other characters have, like Diddy's banana to death or Ryu's weak tilt to jawbreaker. Mastering it would make other characters be more wary about getting all up in Lucas' face.

And thank you for the timely edit, JosePollo.

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
Another great use of down tilt (and it's probably nothing new to most) is to reverse an unfavorable situation after you whiff a grab or a smash attack (usually f-smash, since down smash recovers too quickly and most opponents are afraid to approach while it's happening and you're getting punished for up smash no matter what). Most opponents will see the whiffed move and immediately try to go in for a punish (usually a grab) at which point you can mash out a down tilt then follow up if it connects, or opt for a defensive option, OR just throw out another down tilt. It's frame 16 interruptible (interruptible 12 frames after the hitbox (frame 4), which is faster recovery than nair's landing lag) so it's not a huge commitment at all and it can net you some surprising kills.

When opponents are at high percentage and playing defensively I sometimes like to bait them by purposely whiffing a grab or an f-smash then catch them slipping with a down tilt to close out the stock.

Just the other day I got a pretty nice set-up against someone on Anther's ladder. Got the down tilt bait, he air dodged (maybe expecting another down tilt and trying to shield preemptively?), then I hit him with a strong zair, and followed up on his missed tech with a down smash. I got so hype I forgot to save the replay of the match, but I swear it happened lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom