• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Down+B, what will it work for?

FearTheTree

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-6153-4921
So far in my time playing as Ness, over Sm4sh and Melee, I've tried to use the Down+B to its full potential. I've noticed that a lot of physical, holdable in some sense, attacks don't get converted to health by the Down+B. Things like lasers and fire will get converted. Does anyone have a list of attacks that get converted to health, or more knowledge on the subject?

Xerneas

Smash Cadet
It only absorbs energy based attacks like Zelda's Din's Fire, Samus and Mii gunner's charged shot, Mega Man's forward smash, Lucario's aura sphere, PK Fire/Flash/Thunder, ZZS laser gun, Fox/Falco's blaster, Pikachu's static, Mario/Luigi's fireballs, ROB's laser, and Robin's lightning and fire spells. I think it absorbs Pit and Dark Pit's arrows and Dr Mario's pills but I can't remember for sure, I'd also guess that it absorbs Palutena's autoreticle and Greninja's water shuriken but I've never tried. I might have forgotten a few things because I'm just thinking off the top of my head, I don't know of any list

It can also absorb a few item's shots like ray guns and super scopes

Edit: I just tested it a bit and it also absorbs Bowser and Charizard's flame breath, WFT's sun salutation, Mii gunner's laser blaze, and the fire from fire flower and super spicy curry. It also does not absorb Dr Mario's pills, G&W's food, the beam from Shulk's sword, Mii swordfighter's shuriken of light, or Rosalina's star bits. Other people in this thread confirmed it absorbs the Pits arrows and Palutena's autoreticle, and doesn't absorb Greninja's water shuriken

Last edited:

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
As stated already, it absorbs anything energy based. In Brawl, it could also absorb Kirby's copied GaW ability sausages. Dunno if they ever fixed that or not, but yeah.

I know a certain someone named @ Eagleye893 Eagleye893 would absolutely love to make a PSI Magnet guide for this Smash like he did with Brawl.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
It only absorbs energy based attacks like Zelda's Din's Fire, Samus and Mii gunner's charged shot, Mega Man's forward smash, Lucario's aura sphere, PK Fire/Flash/Thunder, ZZS laser gun, Fox/Falco's blaster, Pikachu's static, Mario/Luigi's fireballs, ROB's laser, and Robin's lightning and fire spells. I think it absorbs Pit and Dark Pit's arrows and Dr Mario's pills but I can't remember for sure, I'd also guess that it absorbs Palutena's autoreticle and Greninja's water shuriken but I've never tried. I might have forgotten a few things because I'm just thinking off the top of my head, I don't know of any list

It makes sense, but it's kinda sad it doesn't absorb all projectiles. It would give him even more great matchups.

Wiisnake

Smash Journeyman

I can confirm it absorbs Palutena's autoreticle, but I am pretty sure it doesn't absorb water shuriken.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
@ Yink Yink , PSImagnet (at least the normal one) is so bad in this game... Your horizontal momentum nearly halts when you use it, so wavebouncing is useless. The only real thing to know is "if you can absorb, you can jump out of absorptions." I don't know if the windbox halts momentum like in brawl b/c I haven't been able to test it out, but that would only benefit you in teams because snake doesn't exist anymore.

The bigger absorption box is nice, but that's the only real buff it got. Everything else is nerfs. It's just a bigger version of 64 or melee's PSImagnet.

PM has the best magnet. That s**t is awesome.

EDIT:
It doesn't absorb the fully charged water shuriken. Tried on wifi and got hit by it.

EDIT2:
The best I can do is try and compile a list of absorbable moves for this game, but I can't do that at the moment. Work and stuff :( I'll assume that all projectiles from previous games can still be absorbed.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
For some baffling reason, they nerfed this move. Ness actually have to absorb the projectile (as it spins around him) in order to heal, rather than before where he would heal instantaneously. He can't cancel into shield or roll after absorbing energy projectiles either, so what gives?

joniho

Smash Cadet
For some baffling reason, they nerfed this move. Ness actually have to absorb the projectile (as it spins around him) in order to heal, rather than before where he would heal instantaneously. He can't cancel into shield or roll after absorbing energy projectiles either, so what gives?
Once the projectile starts spinning around Ness, you can release PSI Magnet and he'll still absorb it after.

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
There is one thing I need you guys to test (or I will test eventually). In brawl, there was actually a use with PSI Magnet that was fairly unknown, which is that you can use it to stop momentum. Eg, in doubles, if your partner is about to get killed and he is flying, you can actually psi magnet while he's flying to stop his momentum and save him. This was also useful against snake, who would try to recover using c4 under the stage. You were able to stop the momentum from exploding himself and cause him to go back down instead of up.

I don't know if this still exists in SSB4, hopefully it does

EDIT: Here's an example of what I'm talking about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqpjugae1Rs#t=178

Last edited:

brothology

Smash Rookie
Real shame it doesn't work on shuri. Though the bat is good enough to keep greninjas players from charging in neutral play. Hardly expect it the first time lol.

Naeroon

Smash Rookie
It makes sense, but it's kinda sad it doesn't absorb all projectiles. It would give him even more great matchups.
Yeah, but it would go against the function of the attack in Earthbound, plus I'm sure it would be a bit TOO powerful if it could absorb *anything*.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Yeah, but it would go against the function of the attack in Earthbound, plus I'm sure it would be a bit TOO powerful if it could absorb *anything*.
Yeah, I see your point. And it does make sense in relation to Mother 2. I just realized how OP that would make some of his matchups, nevermind then haha.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
There is one thing I need you guys to test (or I will test eventually). In brawl, there was actually a use with PSI Magnet that was fairly unknown, which is that you can use it to stop momentum. Eg, in doubles, if your partner is about to get killed and he is flying, you can actually psi magnet while he's flying to stop his momentum and save him. This was also useful against snake, who would try to recover using c4 under the stage. You were able to stop the momentum from exploding himself and cause him to go back down instead of up.

I don't know if this still exists in SSB4, hopefully it does

EDIT: Here's an example of what I'm talking about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqpjugae1Rs#t=178
Pretty sure that's because of wind boxes, which SSB4 magnet should still have on his default if not i guarantee it's on his custom.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
yup it is, pit can do it in brawl as well. I was just wondering if it can still be used to stop momentum
Wind boxes should still work this way.

The problem is that there aren't really any recoveries i can think of that would be "reset" because of interaction with wind boxes, since psi magnet by itself doesn't have any sort of "push" to it despite having wind boxes, and "pull" probably won't make it useful. It needs more testing.

Last edited:

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
Wind boxes should still work this way.

The problem is that there aren't really any recoveries i can think of that would be "reset" because of interaction with wind boxes, since psi magnet by itself doesn't have any sort of "push" to it despite having wind boxes. It needs more testing.
well, it would still be useful in doubles if it still works. Not really easy to do, but it is something to keep in the back of your head.

As for recoveries, the only one I can think of is Link/Tink's bomb jump for now.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
As for recoveries, the only one I can think of is Link/Tink's bomb jump for now.
I was thinking the same thing but bomb jumping is pretty much expressly used to refresh up-B rather than to actually travel anywhere like snake's grenades. I'm not sure the usability of the technique against recoveries that have hitboxes either.

Like all of the offensive character specific techs found so far, it's probably something that only works on specific characters/recoveries, rather than the cast in general. If the push/pull is significant enough it might be able to work on customs that improve recovery and eliminate hitboxes, though, but i doubt it. Like i said, we need to test it more.

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking the same thing but bomb jumping is pretty much expressly used to refresh up-B rather than to actually travel anywhere like snake's grenades. I'm not sure the usability of the technique against recoveries that have hitboxes either.

Like all of the offensive character specific techs found so far, it's probably something that only works on specific characters/recoveries, rather than the cast in general. If the push/pull is significant enough it might be able to work on customs that improve recovery and eliminate hitboxes, though, but i doubt it. Like i said, we need to test it more.
it's not as bad as it seems. If he is very low where he needs to bomb jump to recover, if you read that he will use it, you can go down, down-b, which should put him out of range to recover with up b. Even if he up-b's and hits you, that will send you back up (or towards the stage which you will need to tech), letting you recover. In the end, worst case scenario it will be a stock for some damage which is definitely worth it.

Top Bottom