• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Down 'B' Edge Guard

Velox

Smash Ace
I've been thinking about making Yoshi my main character, reason being he does pretty well against Marth, the character I am historically bad at fighting (espcially with wtf-awesome Mute City counterpick ^^). Yeah... I'm maining Yoshi now.

Anyways, so I've been messing around in training mode recently and I down 'B'ed a Fox that was sweetspotting a firefox. It didn't really do much to him because it was the outburst that hit the Fox, not the main sweetspot of the move (I jumped and did it right next to the edge), but it did knock the Fox straight down, or maybe it was just the fact that it stoped Fox's momentum and the fast fall propert sent him down really fast, but regardless, it put him below the stage for an easy d-tilt/d-smash edgeguard. My sort of lingering question about this though, is whether or not the down 'B' reaches further below and away from the stage than the d-tilt/d-smash/etc. I no longer have an action replay, so this is kind of hard to test by myself.

I usually just bait ledge hops with low lag moves instead of actually ledge guarding people though :laugh: so I don't even know if I'd use this...

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
It would reach below where d-tilt and d-smash can reach but its harder to land and hits them in the wrong direction.

What level were you playing this Fox on? Some levels like Battlefield, Pokemon Stadium, even Final sometimes will spike someone if you hit them against the stage. Thay might've been what happened. However, if the Fox tried to tech he'd probably be fine.

Velox

Smash Ace
Hmmm... I think it hits the opponent in a trajectory that is just kind of away from you. They travel slightly upwards (but then back downwards as they are stuck in the stun for a while), and then away from you, ending up about an inch away from you. Even if the opponent isn't surprised by this, they will still end up having to recover from below the stage. I don't think this was a stage spike, although it could have very well been, I think it was the same effect as if a Fox was hit by a laser off stage, which is essentially the knockback of the stars from Yoshi's down 'B', although they are different. The opponent might be able to tech this though, like you said.

I can see the uses of a move that can hit when the d-tilt/d-smash cannot. Imagine the gimps, throwing a Marth off the stage at low percent, they double jump back to the ledge (so that they don't have to use their up 'B') only to get down 'B'ed when they thought they couldn't be hit, so now they no longer have their second jump, and they are surprised so they quickly up 'B' and miss their sweetspot, you d-tilt, the fixed knockback ***** them at low percents.

I could see this hitting sweet spotting Docs when no other move can, causing them to have to up 'B' again, possibly missing their sweetspot so that you can d-tilt/d-smash and ect.

And it isn't too hard to hit if you just jump and immediately do the move, makes the timing simpler. Still not as easy as d-tilt/d-smash to do though, but those moves are sometimes impossible to hit with when the down 'B' can still hit, if the down 'B' does in fact reach further below and away from the stage.

This does seem a little far fetched though, but I think I'm going to work with it more and see what I can get out of this technique.

BooThunder

Smash Journeyman
yeah i think the real problems with this are: the opponents will almost always be DIing toward the stage while recovring and since it knocks them up it may actually help them get back under control of the stage. and also by the time it's powerful enough to kill them, you have many better options instead. when edgeguarding I only use the down b as a mindgame edgestall at most but thats only if Im playing against a character that it would even be useful against (such as marth) and generally i prefer to just mix it up between ECE throwing and dtilt/dsmash with instant hedgehog ftw.

edit: I realized you were talking about hitting them with the STARZ!!! ok. nevermind reading what i just said unless u ever consider using the strong down-b hitbox as an edgeguard. about the stars: bad idea. ur lag is horrendous when you dont grab a ledge while doing it, and the only reason it worked against the CPU fox is because he cant react well to being tapped off the edge by a weak move, but against a human this is about useless

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
I might consider it if it was possible to slip off the edge after landing and making the stars fly out. But, since you can't, its too laggy. Besides, the stars don't hit that much lower than d-tilt etc if at all, and it really doesn't knock them anywhere good. Nice try though ^_^

Top Bottom