• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Double Team after Ledge Hop

megabbaut

Smash Apprentice
There's this neat trick with Lucario you can do to make more use of Double Team, especially when you're at high damage. You know when you're at the ledge and your opponent is waiting for you to get off the ledge and kill you? When you decide to roll or jump off the ledge, they will (more often then not) try to go on the offensive and attack you before you can do anything.

Well, if you think they're being aggressive enough, you can ledge hop back onto the stage and immediately start Double Team. This catches many opponents by surprise, and if you're at high damage, this can be pretty lethal.

Don't rely too much on it though, as they won't always be aggressive to the point where they will chase you after you escape the ledge. Remember that you're vulnerable if they decide not to attack. It's all about prediction.

Thoughts? Comments? Opinions?

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I especially enjoy doing this with Double Team.

The ledge-jump animation can be canceled so quick that if you input DT as early as possible, the DT comes out, but you don't even land on the stage yet, so the timing is strict.

I do this mix-up / mind-game with DT, where I ledge-jump but cancel it with DT, & if a lip or wall is nearby (which is always nearby most of the time on Neutrals / Omega stages) I Reverse Double Team & cling to the surface to either:
  • Wait & cling to see what they do next, which I'm okay with since we can DJ > N-air if they try being aggressive

• Hold the circle pad directions accordingly to do an instant wall-jump out of DT's slide, or holding toward the surface & press X to do a backwards DJ on-stage to Aura Sphere Charge

• Instant wall-jump > B-Reversing Aura Sphere / WaveBounce Aura Sphere / B-Reverse Force Palm

Though most of the times it's a regular DT so that we re-appear behind them in case they ended up throwing out an attack.

megabbaut

Smash Apprentice
Reverse Double Team doesn't hit the opponent when you do it that way, does it? I haven't tested it yet. Also, what's WaveBounce Aura Sphere? Isn't that the same as B-Reversing? o_0

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Reverse Double Team doesn't hit the opponent when you do it that way, does it? I haven't tested it yet. Also, what's WaveBounce Aura Sphere? Isn't that the same as B-Reversing? o_0
I'd have to test that out this week when I hang with friends, 'cus idk if it does, but I'm not expecting Reverse Double Team to connect, unless the sliding attack has some kind of disjoint or something.

WaveBouncing is a mix of Turn-Around & B-Reversing, actually WaveBouncing can be done if you think of it like you're running > RAR > B-Reverse Aura Sphere.

Basically you use a Special move to reverse your character's momentum, while still facing the same direction you were originally facing.

Input:
:GCR: (wall-jumping) > :GCL: (Turn-Around) > :GCB: + :GCR: (instantly right after pressing B) = WaveBounce

So when I was talking about WaveBouncing Aura Sphere out of a wall-jump from a cling, you'd wall-jump to the right, & because WaveBouncing reverses your entire momentum while facing the same direction, your Aura Sphere travels backwards hitting them with that Aura Sphere Charge hit-box.

Last edited:
Top Bottom