• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Double side b combos and side b as a combo continuer.

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
Wolf's side b can be used to start and extend combos as well as finish them. Alot of this does not have much practical use but still its worth to keep in your pocket.

Wolfs sourspot side b has knockback that hardly scales with percent. As a result, weak hit side b will combo for a large percent range. Also unlike strong hit side b, weak hit side b has the same edge cancel distance as no hit side b of corresponding length, making edge cancels less risky. This is because weak hit side b does not leave wolf in hitlag, like a projectile. Keep in mind sourspot side b gives wolf 30 frames of advantage on the lowest shorten and earliest possible ledge cancel at 0, and that windows for followups will grow as percent rises.

Key
1=shortest length
4=maximum length

---Reverse weak side b length 1 edge cancel
Wolf side b hitbox comes out frame 19
Wolf lands on frame 24
Opponent is free frame 54
True combos into strong hit length 4 side b well over 200 percent on most characters but remember to change the angle oc your side b accorsing to thier di. Also combos into instant double jump turnaround or wavebounce laser along with fast fall double jump waveland and still leaves about 14-10 frames of advantage at 0 for an aerial move to connect for a continued combo. You can also ff to the ground below and dash into an aerial followup. It is hard to space, so keep that in mind.

---Reverse strong hit side b length 1 edge cancel
Wolf hitbox comes out 19
Wolf lands frame 38
Opponent can move frame 59
Wolf can only preform this move when his opponent is at 1 percent or lower. It offers fewer frames of advantage but is easier to space and does 17 more damage. Also the edge cancel distance is different depending of if wolf hits with the side b making it riskier. Cool points though. Side b length 4 is really the only possible true follow up meaning there really isnt ever a good reason to use this. You can sometimes, land on the ground below dash into an immediate aerial depending on the opponents di.

---side b strong hit length one edge cancel
Everything from the reverse hit also applies here, with the exeption that both double jump aerial follow ups and dash followups are garunteed and that you mus vary your side b length and angle according to percent and di. At arround 65 percent with no di even with a double jump you will no longer be able to chain side bs. However as your opponent is often forced to di in this works well over 90 percent.

All other strong hit side b edge cancel confirms follow the above template, with variations on the combo window depending out how soon you edge cancel.

With lengths other than 1 weak hit side b followups will change depending on the point of impact. However in mosr cases doing a fast fall before you start your follow up remedies this. Both the forward and backward hits can be followed up on but typically forward is easier especially at low percent.

---Ledge grab cancel side b
Works identically to the edge cancel, just subtract 5 or so from your frame advantage. Following up with another side b from this position is not possible pas thirty percent with no di.
This include the pseudo moonwalk technique, but this shifts the hitbox past the ledge, which is both good and bad, good because you reach farther into the stage and bad because followups are harder.

---comboing without an edge cancel
You can often cover a missed tech on a platform with a second side b between 30 and 60 percent.

Last edited:

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
Just to help with the ledge cancel distances.

Remember if the sweetspot hits, the ledge cancel distance changes, so if you are going for sweet spot, move the startup back about a third the length of a battlefield platform.
Red dot is side b start position and blue dot is sweetspot hitbox position. All side bs are to the right. Just mirror the image to get both sides.
Remember these are aproximations and position will change if you change the angle. angle three can actually be ledge canceled on battlefield from the ground if angled up.
also don't make fun of my l33t paint skillz
Length one
edge cancel side b length one right.png

Length two
edge cancel side b length two right.png

Length three
edge cancel side b length three right.png

Last edited:

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
Length 4
edge cancel side b length four right.png

Some practicall applications include
Jab reset punishes, punishing platform movement, punishing fade away aerials, and catching bad edgegaurds.

#Thanks PMDT

Last edited:

bajooner

Smash Rookie
can you help me please, im trying to learn how to shorten wolfs side b consistently. i can do it but not on command when i always want it. get you help me wit the timings when to press b again?

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
can you help me please, im trying to learn how to shorten wolfs side b consistently. i can do it but not on command when i always want it. get you help me wit the timings when to press b again?
The input is tight for the right distance. press b while wolf is actually moving during the dash/flash. There are 4 distances, each with a one frame window to hit the correct distance. it's tough to do consistently.

bajooner

Smash Rookie
The input is tight for the right distance. press b while wolf is actually moving during the dash/flash. There are 4 distances, each with a one frame window to hit the correct distance. it's tough to do consistently.
thanks i appreciate it i can do the mid shorten 85% of the time when i want

Top Bottom