• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Double Edge Dance naming convention

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Sooo, talking about the different specific swings of Double Edge Dance (Roy's sideB) can be confusing at times. There isn't a real clear-cut way to say which combination of directions you're talking about other than stuff like "side up down side", which reads weird and isn't always really obvious. Especially stuff like talking about a specific swing can be weird ("DED swing fourth side" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue or convey your meaning very well).

The way that we got around this in the old Melee Roy boards (and how w currently talk about stuff in the PMBR) was by using an arrow naming convention. Rather than typing "DED swing side side up down", it would be "DED >>^V", with each arrow after the DED obviously signifying the direction of the next attack. So for example, DED >^> would be; first swing of sideB, second swing upwards, third swing sideways.
To talk specifically about one of the swings, you would denote which swing by putting "x"s before all of the swings in the sequence. So if I wanted to talk about the fourth side swing, I would say something like "DED xxx> is awesome because Roy jumps really far in a huge arc, and it has a bunch of knockback no matter what part of it you hit with."

Other examples;
Here would be DED >>V
This One would be DED >>^>
This Example would be DED >^>V
And for a specific swing example; Here, instead of ending the DED >^^ with xxx^, if FlashingFire had instead done xxx>, the larger start up and arc would have resulted in a true follow up after the xx^ meteor bounce.

We've had a good amount of success using this naming convention in the old boards and in the PMBR, so I hope you guys pick it up and start using it too!

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
yeah i like the arrows. that is probably the simplest and easiest way to reference the move.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
i don't even play roy and i totally dig consistent naming conventions. i'll be linking people here when i see whack ass **** used to describe ded's

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
@ Sethlon Sethlon and @ CORY CORY , Would either of you happen to know a way that shield stun data can be researched for roy's DED, and maybe even his other moves in general? Is that something you have to ask a back room member (like yourselves) for, or is there a different way to find it?

Last edited:

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Arrows are definitely a way to be consistent. I like.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
@ Sethlon Sethlon and @ CORY CORY , Would either of you happen to know a way that shield stun data can be researched for roy's DED, and maybe even his other moves in general? Is that something you have to ask a back room member (like yourselves) for, or is there a different way to find it?
The formula for how much shield stun a move has is based off of the damage of the move, put in the formula [(damage + 4.45) / 2.235]. The only way to accurately gauge how much frame dis/advantage you have off of a move is to manually compare that to how many frames until the move you used ends. So for example; DED > comes out of frame 7, though the hitbox starts high so you likely won't hit until frame 8. It does 5%, so it gives 4 frames of shield stun. DED > ends on frame 30, so overall the move would be roughly -18 on block.

Grounded attack are relatively easy to calculate shield dis/advantage for, but for aerials you're never sure just how high in the air you're hitting your opponents shield, so the math for those are a little less accurate.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Down. Or, to make things easy, you can just use this cheat sheet;
Frame Advantage After Hitting a Shield

DMG (in percent) - ADV (in frames)

01% - 02
02% - 02
03% - 03
04% - 03
05% - 04
06% - 04
07% - 05
08% - 05
09% - 06
10% - 06
11% - 06
12% - 07
13% - 07
14% - 08
15% - 08
16% - 09
17% - 09
18% - 10
19% - 10
20% - 10
21% - 11
22% - 11
23% - 12
24% - 12
25% - 13
26% - 13
27% - 14
28% - 14
29% - 14
30% - 15
31% - 15
32% - 16
33% - 16
34% - 17
35% - 17
36% - 18

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
excellent thanks so much! its good to know that this is a general mechanic too.

is there a formula for hitstun like this as well?

Last edited:

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Y'know, in times like this I try to resort to the numbering solution, like so: First swing B6, Second B7, Third B3.

I'm fairly confident someone else has already done this... But you never know.

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
Sethlon's naming conventions are effective, but I personally prefer to refer to the individual parts of move as DED[Number][Direction] as I find it slightly faster and easier for even non Roy players to get.

This way if I'm trying to describe things like DED combos/process I'd go: 1-2-3Up-4Up or 1-2Up-3 or 1-2-3-4Back for example. And when describing each separate move; DED 1, 3Down or 3Up.

Blade-Fox

Smash Apprentice
Sethlon's naming conventions are effective, but I personally prefer to refer to the individual parts of move as DED[Number][Direction] as I find it slightly faster and easier for even non Roy players to get.

This way if I'm trying to describe things like DED combos/process I'd go: 1-2-3Up-4Up or 1-2Up-3 or 1-2-3-4Back for example. And when describing each separate move; DED 1, 3Down or 3Up.
That is the way I do it but I believe Sethlon's suggestion is shorter in most cases. When naming just one move out of the four, 4 Down, 3 Up, etc. vs DED xxxV, DED xx^. When it comes to long strings though, it gets a little long:
1 - 2 Up - 3 Down - 4 Down vs DED x^VV.

Edit: Oops, reading is fundamental...you already said that in the first line, derp.

Top Bottom