• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does the Wii Classic Pro Controller have input lag?

clara

Smash Rookie
I was at a local tournament and someone said that I should switch to the game cube controller because the wii mote has a 2-3 frame lag.

Is this true?

I don't seem to notice it personally, but I'm new and could just be bad.

The reason I don't use a gamecube controller is because I never owned a GC or a Wii till project M and the controller feels so foreign. I picked the game up much more quickly with the classic pro, however I was considering on switching to a GC just for the fact of not syncing at tournaments/locals.

1230james

Smash Rookie
NNID
1230james
3DS FC
3711-7662-4269
Actually, there's an option to change whether the game responds to your inputs instantly, or to have a 3 frame lag buffer.
(Not lag... I knew there was something fishy about how I wrote that sentence)

Should be there when you open the options on the character selection screen.

It's either that, or my memory is trolling me.

Last edited:

Celestis

Smash Ace
Actually, there's an option to change whether the game responds to your inputs instantly, or to have a 3 frame lag.

Should be there when you open the options on the character selection screen.

It's either that, or my memory is trolling me.
Are you talking about input assist? That is not three frames of lag. Why would anyone ever want that. That is three frames of Buffer to help those not used to the Tight controls of the game.

As for the question. I don't know exactly, but I do know Wire is always faster then wireless. I know on Melee, I cannot use a wavebird for the life of me cause it drives me nuts with the input delay it has. Everything feels about 2 frames behind. So if that carries over to the Wii- mote, and I am pretty sure it does, then yes, there is lag. Wired is the preferred style for all(Like 99%) competitive players because of both the lag and the interference possibilities. I agree with who ever suggested this to you.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Idk about the pro, but I use a normal cc, and I havent noticed any lag. I main Squirtle too, and you gotta be frame perfect to pull off most his AT

clara

Smash Rookie
Are you talking about input assist? That is not three frames of lag. Why would anyone ever want that. That is three frames of Buffer to help those not used to the Tight controls of the game.

As for the question. I don't know exactly, but I do know Wire is always faster then wireless. I know on Melee, I cannot use a wavebird for the life of me cause it drives me nuts with the input delay it has. Everything feels about 2 frames behind. So if that carries over to the Wii- mote, and I am pretty sure it does, then yes, there is lag. Wired is the preferred style for all(Like 99%) competitive players because of both the lag and the interference possibilities. I agree with who ever suggested this to you.
I will probably make the transition, However I know the wavebird uses 2.4ghz Wireless and the wii uses bluetooth(which is much faster).

Celestis

Smash Ace
I will probably make the transition, However I know the wavebird uses 2.4ghz Wireless and the wii uses bluetooth(which is much faster).
Use what you like, controller preference is controller preference. But I will say.. There is a reason Nintendo is released a GC adapter for Wii U. I know a lot of people will agree that the GC controller is perfection. I wish it would just connect with every console I own. Be one happy camper.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Button inputs are simply sent to be read by the console more quickly with wires than with wireless signals. It shouldn't be too much of a deficit if you are only at low-mid level play, or don't main a character that depends on frame-perfect tech, but just in case one of those becomes true in the future, it's almost universally suggested to transition to the GameCube controller.

On top of that, GCCs have the advantage of an analog control-stick for more efficient control over movement (which the Wii-mote lacks), analog shoulder buttons for proper L-canceling (which the Wii-mote, Wii-chuck, Classic Controller, and Wii U Pro Controller lack; although this issue is limited to PM, since proper L-canceling can be performed with the Z-button in Melee, and doesn't exist in Brawl), simply has more buttons than others and in turn has more button input options (which is the case for Wii-mote and Wii-chuck; Classic Controller and Wii-U Pro each have 1 more shoulder button), and a second analog control-stick - the C-stick (which the Wii-chuck lacks) - that's essential for performing several mechanics necessary for competitive-level play. They are: performing retreating aerials, D-airing without fastfalling, B-sticking, efficient button-mashing while simultaneously DI'ing, and DSDI (although this one is only relative if you plan to play Brawl; it's not in Melee, and...iirc...PM).

Regardless of these technical reasons, GCCs have also simply been the Smash Community's controller of choice for years. If you want to play at someone else's house, they'll probably only have less of your controllers of choice than GCCs; even if they do have them, you may have to share if you forgot or couldn't bring your own. If you go to a tournament, it's almost always strictly forbidden across all competitive gaming genres, due to (among several other major reasons) their lack of reliability in terms of batteries dying, signals getting interrupted/dropped, etc.

At the end of the day, you're controller of choice is always...well, your own choice; nobody is gonna impose their preference on you, and if they do, they probably just mean the best for you in the long-run of playing Smash (although obviously that still doesn't make it any less wrong of them for doing so lol). But in terms of the technical and convenience pros/cons of each, the GCC is superior. Dismissing the drawbacks of wireless connections, however, they can be ordered by their efficiency in the following order:

1. Wii U Pro & Classic Controllers
  2. GCC (if not in PM. In PM, it's tied for first, depending on your preferences for (1) more buttons or (2) the option to hold in a Y-Claw position and properly L-cancel)
  3. Wii-chuck
  4. Wii-mote

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Button inputs are simply sent to be read by the console more quickly with wires than with wireless signals. It shouldn't be too much of a deficit if you are only at low-mid level play, or don't main a character that depends on frame-perfect tech, but just in case one of those becomes true in the future, it's almost universally suggested to transition to the GameCube controller.

On top of that, GCCs have the advantage of an analog control-stick for more efficient control over movement (which the Wii-mote lacks), analog shoulder buttons for proper L-canceling (which the Wii-mote, Wii-chuck, Classic Controller, and Wii U Pro Controller lack; although this issue is limited to PM, since proper L-canceling can be performed with the Z-button in Melee, and doesn't exist in Brawl), simply has more buttons than others and in turn has more button input options (which is the case for Wii-mote and Wii-chuck; Classic Controller and Wii-U Pro each have 1 more shoulder button), and a second analog control-stick - the C-stick (which the Wii-chuck lacks) - that's essential for performing several mechanics necessary for competitive-level play. They are: performing retreating aerials, D-airing without fastfalling, B-sticking, efficient button-mashing while simultaneously DI'ing, and DSDI (although this one is only relative if you plan to play Brawl; it's not in Melee, and...iirc...PM).

Regardless of these technical reasons, GCCs have also simply been the Smash Community's controller of choice for years. If you want to play at someone else's house, they'll probably only have less of your controllers of choice than GCCs; even if they do have them, you may have to share if you forgot or couldn't bring your own. If you go to a tournament, it's almost always strictly forbidden across all competitive gaming genres, due to (among several other major reasons) their lack of reliability in terms of batteries dying, signals getting interrupted/dropped, etc.

At the end of the day, you're controller of choice is always...well, your own choice; nobody is gonna impose their preference on you, and if they do, they probably just mean the best for you in the long-run of playing Smash (although obviously that still doesn't make it any less wrong of them for doing so lol). But in terms of the technical and convenience pros/cons of each, the GCC is superior. Dismissing the drawbacks of wireless connections, however, they can be ordered by their efficiency in the following order:

2. GCC (if not in PM. In PM, it's tied for first, depending on your preferences for (1) more buttons or (2) the option to hold in a Y-Claw position and properly L-cancel)
  3. Wii-chuck
  4. Wii-mote
The CC does have analog shoulder buttons? They're the same type as the GC controller, its only the pro that doesnt have the analog

Celestis

Smash Ace
I am pretty sure the Classic does not have analog.. I don't have one, so I can't check. But pretty sure its all digital.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
I am pretty sure the Classic does not have analog.. I don't have one, so I can't check. But pretty sure its all digital.
The Classic Controller features two analog sticks, a D-pad, face buttons labeled a, b, x, and y, analog shoulder buttons labeled L and R and two Z buttons (labeled ZL and ZR) next to the L and R buttons, respectively. It also has a set of -, Home, and + buttons like those on the Wii Remote, with the - and + buttons labeled 'Select' and 'Start', respectively.

From the smash wiki

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
The CC does have analog shoulder buttons? They're the same type as the GC controller, its only the pro that doesnt have the analog
Didn't believe this for a second, but doubted myself because I figured you would know better than us since it's your controller of preference. But damn...was absolutely unconvinced by the sites saying it was until i came across video proof. Props for getting used to such crazy sensitive use out of an analog button >> I'd always be hard-pressing L-cancels with one that hard.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
If you are ever going to a tournament, GC. If not, who gives a ****.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Didn't believe this for a second, but doubted myself because I figured you would know better than us since it's your controller of preference. But damn...was absolutely unconvinced by the sites saying it was until i came across video proof. Props for getting used to such crazy sensitive use out of an analog button >> I'd always be hard-pressing L-cancels with one that hard.
Eh, I only got used to it cause my wii is the kind that lacks GC ports. It was awkward and weird at first, but I just kept with it, and now I prefer it over the GC controller.

I'm not sure if I hard or light press for l cancels... I dont ever try to SHFFL his nair, and almost all his other aerials are already done by the time I land.

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095

At the end of the day, you're controller of choice is always...well, your own choice; nobody is gonna impose their preference on you, and if they do, they probably just mean the best for you in the long-run ofh playing Smash (although obviously that still doesn't make it any less wrong of them for doing so lol). But in terms of the technical and convenience pros/cons of each, the GCC is superior. Dismissing the drawbacks of wireless connections, however, they can be ordered by their efficiency in the following order:

3. Wii-chuck
  4. Wii-mote

I'm actually a little curious as to how using a Classic controller is different than using the Wiichuck in terms of input lag. Wouldn't you still have the input lag since the classic controllers have to be plugged into the Wii remote? Or at least I know the original classic controller had to be. That's a bit of a mystery to me, but if you could explain it that would actually be great.

As far as the other control schemes, I can't even begin to fathom how anyone could even remotely play well competitive or otherwise without the Nunchuck, as without it you literally cannot pull of any of the advanced techniques needed, to really play even remotely competitively. From a personal perspective (as a guy who uses the Wiichuck config), I can tell you you can basically do that a user of a gamecube controller can do, although it takes a great deal of practice, but that's kind of a given regardless of what controller you use. Although admittedly the GCC definitely seems to be the best and the norm for most people. I'm actually curious to see how it works out on the Wii U, and whether Nintendo will be able to address input lag, even though the competitive side isn't their priority.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
I'm actually a little curious as to how using a Classic controller is different than using the Wiichuck in terms of input lag. Wouldn't you still have the input lag since the classic controllers have to be plugged into the Wii remote? Or at least I know the original classic controller had to be. That's a bit of a mystery to me, but if you could explain it that would actually be great.

As far as the other control schemes, I can't even begin to fathom how anyone could even remotely play well competitive or otherwise without the Nunchuck, as without it you literally cannot pull of any of the advanced techniques needed, to really play even remotely competitively. From a personal perspective (as a guy who uses the Wiichuck config), I can tell you you can basically do that a user of a gamecube controller can do, although it takes a great deal of practice, but that's kind of a given regardless of what controller you use. Although admittedly the GCC definitely seems to be the best and the norm for most people. I'm actually curious to see how it works out on the Wii U, and whether Nintendo will be able to address input lag, even though the competitive side isn't their priority.
The Wii U Pro and Classic Controllers aren't any different from the Wiichuck or Wiimote in terms of input lag. They all lag the same amount because they're all using wireless signals to send info to the Wii/Wii U. There isn't a way for Nintendo to fix this issue other than to make wired versions of them. Until then, GCCs will remain as the only controller that is truly competitively viable/allowed. In my list at the bottom of my post, I was careful to state that GCCs would be second to the Wii U Pro & Classic Controllers only if the various issues of wireless controllers were ignored. Otherwise, all of the wireless controllers would be lumped together as worse than the GCC. The only reason they made it above GCC on this list was because the list was just considering other aspects of the controllers besides the wired/wireless input method, like how many buttons each had, etc.

Last edited:

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
Ah
The Wii U Pro and Classic Controllers aren't any different from the Wiichuck or Wiimote in terms of input lag. They all lag the same amount because they're all using wireless signals to send info to the Wii/Wii U. There isn't a way for Nintendo to fix this issue other than to make wired versions of them. Until then, GCCs will remain as the only controller that is truly competitively viable/allowed. In my list at the bottom of my post, I was careful to state that GCCs would be second to the Wii U Pro & Classic Controllers only if the various issues of wireless controllers were ignored.
Ah I see, I get what you meant now better. Side note the idea/prospect of a wired Wii-Remote + Classic Controller or Nunchuck would be great :D, but definitely wishful thinking since Nintendo seems all about Wireless at this point. If it weren't for the Gamecube adapter, then there would be no wired option which is disappointing in a sense for the select few that don't use the GCC.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
The Wii U Pro and Classic Controllers aren't any different from the Wiichuck or Wiimote in terms of input lag. They all lag the same amount because they're all using wireless signals to send info to the Wii/Wii U. There isn't a way for Nintendo to fix this issue other than to make wired versions of them. Until then, GCCs will remain as the only controller that is truly competitively viable/allowed. In my list at the bottom of my post, I was careful to state that GCCs would be second to the Wii U Pro & Classic Controllers only if the various issues of wireless controllers were ignored. Otherwise, all of the wireless controllers would be lumped together as worse than the GCC. The only reason they made it above GCC on this list was because the list was just considering other aspects of the controllers besides the wired/wireless input method, like how many buttons each had, etc.
CC doesnt have input lag

Went to a tourney with a ton of wii's around, had no problem whatsoever

I also main Squirtle and you gotta be frame perfect for several of his AT's so yeah, no input lag.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
CC doesnt have input lag

Went to a tourney with a ton of wii's around, had no problem whatsoever

I also main Squirtle and you gotta be frame perfect for several of his AT's so yeah, no input lag.
There is input lag. It's just barely noticeable and can be adjusted to, so if that's what you use mainly or you can adjust quickly, it wouldn't be an issue. However, it still isn't universally accepted at all tournaments because if it were to become accepted, there would be too many wireless signals in one area, which causes them to interfere with one another.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
There is input lag. It's just barely noticeable and can be adjusted to, so if that's what you use mainly or you can adjust quickly, it wouldn't be an issue. However, it still isn't universally accepted at all tournaments because if it were to become accepted, there would be too many wireless signals in one area, which causes them to interfere with one another.
It's more like everyone just cant let go of the GC controller cause melee

The only way someone can back my claim though is if they went to e3 where there's a ton of wiis, and had any problems, which i doubt.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
It's more like everyone just cant let go of the GC controller cause melee

The only way someone can back my claim though is if they went to e3 where there's a ton of wiis, and had any problems, which i doubt.
It's not because Melee, which has nothing to do with this. That's a rather unfair and ridiculous assumption that I'm some Melee elitist, just because I favor GCCs because they're wired and are, at the end of the day, the more optimal choice. Nothing's wrong with the other controllers. All of the controllers have drawbacks, it's just that some affect their viability more than others. And I'm not going to argue whether or not it would work on tourney or not - it's a scientific fact that wireless signals interfere with one another in sheer numbers. It's a fact, and not something that could be argued. If there's a select few people using it in a tourney, of course it would work fine. But if any more than just a few do and play within close proximity, believe me, problems would arise. Nobody is stopping their usage otherwise.

Celestis

Smash Ace
I favor game cube cause Game cube. Best controller I ever held. I want to use it for ever game, not just smash, Has nothing to do with cause Melee. The control, the comfort, feel. Everything. And, and!!.. its wired.

And yes.. The CC has lag input... Wireless is not fast enough yet.

Also, if you were at a tourney and they had wireless, that is just foolish. And not just for lag, but for interference. So many wireless devices in one building, interference takes place all the time. It just sounds to me like it was a tourney with people who just did not know any better. it isn't just smash bros who demand wired connections for competitive play.

Last edited:

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Also, if you were at a tourney and they had wireless, that is just foolish. And not just for lag, but for interference. So many wireless devices in one building, interference takes place all the time. It just sounds to me like it was a tourney with people who just did not know any better. it isn't just smash bros who demand wired connections for competitive play.
People take out their batteries when leaving setups as to not cause any disruption. Watch Nazo, a Project M Sonic player. He uses Wiimote-Nunchuk.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
People take out their batteries when leaving setups as to not cause any disruption. Watch Nazo, a Project M Sonic player. He uses Wiimote-Nunchuk.
Regardless of how effective that is, it would be hard to enforce that as a rule if large groups of people started trying to use their Wii-chuck controllers at a given tournament. You'd run into many that'd simply ignore it because they're too lazy to and can't bother, and other's who'd simply forget, etc. But if it works, then that's more power to those who use it individually and are willing to take the extra step I guess lol.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Regardless of how effective that is, it would be hard to enforce that as a rule if large groups of people started trying to use their Wii-chuck controllers at a given tournament. You'd run into many that'd simply ignore it because they're too lazy to and can't bother, and other's who'd simply forget, etc. But if it works, then that's more power to those who use it individually and are willing to take the extra step I guess lol.
I agree that it is quite an ambigious and dangerous concept if people are too lazy to do the batteries taking out rule however I think that all other control options should still be allowed regardless of which one is theoretically better; Nazo uses chuck because he didn't have a GCN controller for 5ish years and got used to it.

Of course, GCN controller gives you more options but I've got nothing really against people that use other controllers and I'll always recommend GCN if they want to improve rather than insulting their choice like some other people do at tournaments.

Last edited:
Top Bottom