• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does Roy have a spike?

Altea77

Smash Apprentice
I'm starting to get into Roy after 3.5 came out, but his dair doesn't seem to spike like Marth's does. How do you do it?

Altea77

Smash Apprentice
I've been in training mode trying to do it, and I've only managed one so far. Does it get easier, or is this not how I should be playing him?

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
It's a difficult spike to land. In fact, it's not even just "closer to his body", it pretty much is his body. I'd recommend going into debug mode and watching the hitboxes to get a better idea of this. The spike hitboxes are the two innermost ones - the ones on his arm and shoulder. The other hitboxes also take priority, meaning that it will only spike if you hit exclusively with those innermost hitboxes.

It is definitely hard, but it, like everything, will become easier with practice.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
if you want to more succesfully hit with the spike, you have to start the dair relatively early while moving up and into the opponent. best done out of a dtilt. its one of those moves that is going to reward you a lot for having put in the practice to hit with it consistently. its not meant to be easy to get. after all, roy already has an easier time killing than marth generally, and the addition of a similar spike really makes that so. it makes sense that it should be challenging to land. its not impossible though, and not difficult at all out of a dtilt usually like i said.

TangledTris

Smash Rookie
From what I've played of 3.5, it seems to be much easier to hit the spike if you start dair while you're still below the opponent. The way I've been practicing it is to go into training and put a Bowser CPU on a platform in Pokemon Stadium 2. Then, just stand below the CPU, start a full hop, and just as you leave the ground start the dair. If you do it right, you should hit the spike while your sword is pointing down or behind you.

DiscoZ

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone.

I'm not sure how well this helps anyone but after some practice, I find that if I aim the top of Roy's head to the bottom of my opponent the spike is all but assured.

I know its not "frame perfect terminology" but it helps scrubs like me have something more specific to aim with. It has helped me some with landing the spikes.

-Disco

Last edited:

Cjgarmani T.

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cjgarmani
His spike point is basically his armpit, which may not make much sense but that's the way things are.

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
I made a couple clips to reply to a topic about roy's dair sweetspot on reddit. I figure i'd go ahead and share the videos for people that don't understand the hitbox and how to hit it.

Here's the slowmo version:

Here's the regular speed version:
The way that i try to approach doing the dair is coming from under them. Also a lot of people try to hit with the hilt or with roy's armpit. The hitbox is actually more where roy's face is. really look at the slow-mo link and keep replaying it/pausing at the moment where the hit connects. Its definitely his face/head.

Last edited:

Sur Fartsalot

Smash Apprentice
I started playing Roy as a main before I started playing competitively, but when I started competitive smashing, I switched to wolf. Now, I use my roy for having fun matches. So anyway, I started picking him up again and watched some Sethlon videos. I can't find many practical uses for it offstage because of the lag. Any advice?

Also, so you want your opponent level with you and a bit to the side to sweet spot?

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
I started playing Roy as a main before I started playing competitively, but when I started competitive smashing, I switched to wolf. Now, I use my roy for having fun matches. So anyway, I started picking him up again and watched some Sethlon videos. I can't find many practical uses for it offstage because of the lag. Any advice?

Also, so you want your opponent level with you and a bit to the side to sweet spot?
What exactly do you mean by "because of the lag"? The start-up time...or? For exactly how to angle the approach of it in the air look at the previous post and you'll see a slo-mo clip of the sweet spot with debug hitboxes on. Approaching from under is the easiest way to do it, aim with roy's shoulder or his face the moment the move comes out for the most consistant results.

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
Rising full hop > Dair > second jump > upB. You also have to be around a height just above the ledge or higher to assure you'll get back. Keep in mind roy was not made to go deep and he's also not marth.

Derpiology

Smash Cadet
NNID
Derpiology
3DS FC
4742-6421-0146
I'd so play as Roy a lot more often if his spike wasn't so difficult to land.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub

Even though I generally have a harder time with actually hitting this, it works decently as a jumping back on stage from ledge attack when they're trying to get back on. Your timing needs to be good though, and spacing because if you miss when you're doing this, you can just as easily fall too far off stage to actually kill yourself; it's easier to KO yourself this way than Sethlon makes it look.
It's also fair to point out it's just a dangerous situation when you try this.

Last edited:

BND

Smash Apprentice
...Just out of curiosity, how big is the current sweetspot compared to Melee Roy's?

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Should be almost identical.

And unlike Melee, the sweetspot actually does something.

Top Bottom