• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does Pikachu have any invincibility/armor on f-smash?

Zeekfox

Smash Cadet
I was playing Lucina vs Pikachu, and we both had the idea to throw forward smashes. I beat Pikachu to the punch, but I didn't seem to get the hit. Instead, I get the attached screenshot and I end up eating Pikachu's f-smash as soon as it's unpaused. And while I do get that Pikachu rears back before his f-smash, he's already as far back as he goes and still has a foot on my sword.

Pika smashers! What happened? I don't play enough Pikachu to understand this.

Attachments

NachoThePikachu

Smash Cadet
NNID
NachoThePikachu
From my understanding, no, Pikachu does not get super armor during his Fsmash. I believe the only move that grants him temporary invincibility is his downB (when the Thunder hits him).

Pikachu has a very small hitbox. I wouldn't be surprised if maybe you just barely missed. Looks an awful lot like it hit, though. XD

Emuchu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Emuchu
3DS FC
2320-6462-6471
It's a common misconception in games that collision boxes (the parts that "hit" and "are hit") match the character models, especially in fighting games where we expect our opponent to get hit if our sword crosses our opponent's foot. There is no way to know precisely where the hit- and hurt-boxes are until a viewer gets made in the distant future, but basically, although Lucina's sword is clearly crossing Pikachu's physical model, the part of the sword defined internally to the game as "this hits stuff" is not intersecting the part of Pikachu defined as "hittable." Most likely, Pikachu's hittable area has pulled back farther than his in-game model has, since Lucina's sword usually attacks in a reliably sword-swing-ish shape.

You can see Nintendo fiddling with this in every update; there's always a few changes that are something like, "changed hittable area to better match animation" or something, like how they made Ike's Fair and Jab(3) vertically larger to match where his sword is, whereas before the change, the extremes of his swordy-swingy-whoosh-thing (what I consider to be the visual cue for "this should hit") would go through opponents. All you can really do is take it to the lab (like you appear to have done) and figure out what's happening. I bet if you fudged Lucina a little closer, you'd probably register the hit.

Zeekfox

Smash Cadet
All you can really do is take it to the lab (like you appear to have done) and figure out what's happening. I bet if you fudged Lucina a little closer, you'd probably register the hit.
I did spend quite a while in training mode and was unable to get things this close.

Eventually I had to try and point my camera at the gamepad and record the replay since you can't fast forward, rewind, or slow down replays ingame. I don't know why. In playing it back slowly on my computer, I got this-

PikaLucina2-23-45.png
I guess I really did miss somehow, but I thought it was a good smash because Pikachu was in his recovery bounce from doing a n-air too low. It looks very, very close though, especially since he's still moving forward, which is how he ends up here-

PikaLucina2-23-28.png

I wonder how much of that is to blame on general For Glory lag. The match was playing smooth, but then Pikachu is suddenly is smashing me right in my face just mere frames after being pixels away from "Nice tipper, why aren't you playing Marth instead?"

Top Bottom