• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does Mario have an easier time in this game?

viceversa1996

Smash Rookie
Mario in Melee was ok and Mario in Brawl sucked. It bugs the **** out of me that nintendo's main mascot gets has a ****ty time in those two games. Does Mario do well or have an easier time against his bad matchups like Fox, Falco, Jigglypuff, Shiek, Marth, Peach, Captain Falcon, and Ganondorf?

NeroFerk

Smash Rookie
yea it has become easier to play mario (atleast in my opinion) because my brother is a noob at this game but he can kick butt with mario

Aenglaan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aenglaan
3DS FC
0559-8074-9911
In Project M, Mario is easily one of the best characters in the game. He has the best elements of both Dr Mario and his Melee incarnation. I can't put my finger on what makes Mario so amazing, but he's better in Project M than he has ever been.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
In Project M, Mario is easily one of the best characters in the game. He has the best elements of both Dr Mario and his Melee incarnation. I can't put my finger on what makes Mario so amazing, but he's better in Project M than he has ever been.
No kidding. The man is a basic combo machine. Dash attack and all his tilts literally combo into everything. He is just the right weight and speed to stick to you like glue if he feels like it. Add the Dr. Mario pills and fair and you have an easy to use combo master. He isn't exactly amazing, since his recovery is still kind of poopy, but he can really kick butt if you want him to.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Did you see Nguz post above? LOL Mario has a bad recovery?
I kind of ignored that part. I've never ever has a hard time recovering with everyone's favorite Plumber. (Piss off Luigi)
Down B + Side B + Jump + Up B
Wall Jumps AND Wall Jump out of Up B

He might not be able to chase to the edge of the stage's blastzone and attempt to kill like Pit can, but he certainly is capable of coming back from an attack at the same distance when he has all his options open.

DanlulZ

Smash Cadet
Mario's best attribute is how fluent he can be and has an amazing recovery that has tons of options. He's by far my favourite dedede is amazing as well

xXDarkRisingXx

Smash Apprentice
Mario is such an amazing character. yea he's revolver is not the best. But it isent the wortst either. His b up wall jumping helps a lot on the right stage. He's combo ability is great. Just a great character overall

gnosis

Smash Lord
He's above average at almost everything, making him highly adaptable and able to play to the weaknesses of whatever character he's facing. It makes his matchup spread look something like "i can beat everyone but no one's a total pushover", with a few exceptions.

So yeah, that's better than Melee and way better than Brawl.

Altanic

Smash Apprentice
Mario is a lot better in PM because his tilts activate combos a lot faster than in Melee. Fireballs are much much easier to short hop and use multiple times, along with a much better recovery, and fair. Things like RAR help him out too since moves like bair and reverse nair actually work well at keep your opponents offstage.
For the most part though I think pretty much everyone is better, but because of how Mario's moves work he has a much easier time. Unless you're outranged or the other character can destroy fireballs, but even then he can work around that.

internetmovieguy

Smash Apprentice
When trying to end a stock mario has three main methods: down throw fair (up throw for fast fallers), gimp, raw fsmash or down smash. He also has a bunch of combo's into F-air but if down throw -> F-air won't work then the rest won't connect either.

IMO heavy floaties are mario's most difficult match up with samus being the most difficult.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
When trying to end a stock mario has three main methods: down throw fair (up throw for fast fallers), gimp, raw fsmash or down smash. He also has a bunch of combo's into F-air but if down throw -> F-air won't work then the rest won't connect either.

IMO heavy floaties are mario's most difficult match up with samus being the most difficult.
Nah man. Heavy floaties are easy. The harder MU, would people who can beat out fireballs, and out range mario; at the same time. Samus is only hard if you make it that way. The best way to go about beating her, is pick small stages, don't fireball much, play close and aggro, so she will think using a projectile is unsafe. You can also play on big stages, you just gotta approach it differently. On those stages, it's just a battle of attrition.

Last edited:
Top Bottom