• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does luigi have any potential?

CycloneWarrior

Smash Rookie
IMO I think he can if more people play him. I never really see many Luigis' in tournaments.
I think he has top tier potential because his grab is still good, down thrown to down special is still possible, wonderful kill power, (if you know how to button mash) his recovery isn't that bad, he can gimp characters' recovery with his down special, getting misfire can turn the tide in battle, his up special is always something to look out for, nair is really good for get out of combos and starting it with your own combo, and his down taunt (which I don't think it gets use to it fullest potential) with being the strongest meteor smash in the game.

Omastar

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2638-1454-6031
Elegant, Concon, LOE1 have been putting up good results at tournaments and he does well against Bayonetta. I wouldn't be surprised if he rises higher in the tier list.

Manabu

Smash Rookie
He has a LOT of potential doing insanely well against top tier characaters, just watch ConCon beating K9 and ZeRo or Elegant against Salem and Pink Fresh

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Not only does Luigi have results that have been good lately, but I've noticed that even after nerfs, his combo game is still nice and I'm very impressed at how Elegant, ConCon, and others have been able to work with Luigi even after nerfs. I could see him making high tier in due time, honestly.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Not only does Luigi have results that have been good lately, but I've noticed that even after nerfs, his combo game is still nice and I'm very impressed at how Elegant, ConCon, and others have been able to work with Luigi even after nerfs. I could see him making high tier in due time, honestly.
The thing that is making him mid tier is his trash air speed.

His recovery isnt THAT bad, it goes really high and far, the main problem being his upb, it has no horizontal momentum.

Other than that, Luigi is essentially a better Mario. Better kill power, better combos, better damage, his mobility is rather terrible though...

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870

His recovery isnt THAT bad, it goes really high and far, the main problem being his upb, it has no horizontal momentum.

Other than that, Luigi is essentially a better Mario. Better kill power, better combos, better damage, his mobility is rather terrible though...
Yeah, his air speed is pretty heinous. But on the recovery portion, I've become less rigid on my disliking of Luigi's recovery. It does get good distance, but momentum is an issue. Speed and momentum is an issue for Luigi in general. Now, if this were Luigi with his wavedash, his speed wouldn't be as bad.

With Mario? Eh...well, he is better in certain regards, but I wouldn't call him an "essentially better Mario." His KO power in moves is slightly better than Mario's, but due to Mario's stronger neutral potential and better speed, setting up for the KO can be easier on Mario's part, from what I've seen. Luigi's knockback in moves may be just as strong as Mario's, if not better...but from what I can tell, Mario still has an easier time of actually KO'ing because of setups and how Mario is significantly faster. Besides, Luigi and Mario feel pretty different.

With combos and damage though, Luigi is definitely better in those areas. Combos especially is the reason why I think Luigi could make high tier one day. However, his mobility (especially in the air) is still a large problem for him, and due to that it's hard to see him make it *that* high on the tier list. Even so, I think he's a pretty good character :) It's just that his critical weaknesses in mobility and such make him less than spectacular.

High tier in the future? I could see it. It'd be cool if he did make high tier one day. However, how soon will it happen, if ever? Not sure.

Last edited:

Omastar

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2638-1454-6031

1. Mario has won multiple majors and national events including EVO.
2. He has a good matchup spread and can deal with projectiles/range more effectively than Luigi can.
3. Great mobility and burst options.

Luigi is a great character, but he isn't better than Mario.

Top Bottom